The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Strike Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/7877-strike-mechanic.html)

manhong Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:54pm

Regarding the box stance, should the hand signal for a strike follow the verbal indication of the strike??? In other words, should you first verbally say "strike" followed by the hand signal. In addition, what is the proper hand signal (closed fist??) for a strike???

Alligator Bag Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:17am

I believe you should announce and signal at the same time. Closed fist like you are knocking on the door is a very mechanically sound and strong signal. Don't forget to announce strikes AND balls with the same voice level. Stay down in your stance till you announce ball and come up and voice and signal strikes at the same time.

Whowefoolin Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:26am

Take a look at the umps that worked in the '70's. Very animated and worth watching. Not boring, but not silly. Just BIG.

Jerry Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:59am

Always announce "balls" and "strikes" with the same voice level?????

When have you ever heard/seen a dramatic "Ball Four"!!!!

And swinging "strikes" should never (hardly ever)be announced with any type of flair.

Or am I reading more into your comment than what you intended?

Tim C Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:28pm

Hmmm,

The call of "Ball" should never be more than 80% of your average "strike call" . . .

Maybe I misunderstood what was posted.

Tee

TwoBits Wed Mar 12, 2003 01:15pm

Don't forget to announce strikes AND balls with the same voice level!!??

I was always told not to announce balls. Eliminates confusion.

BJ Moose Wed Mar 12, 2003 01:26pm

Re: Don't forget ??

Quote:

Originally posted by TwoBits
I was always told not to announce balls. Eliminates confusion.
Ouch. Take a drink, a few deep breaths.

Yes, Virginia, there are "experts" out there who don't know excrement from high gloss. (did that make it through the censors?).

Not every "charlie" knows what he is talking about. You were told wrong.

TwoBits Wed Mar 12, 2003 01:33pm

Well, I'm going to continue with what works. I'm sure my association will as well.

tucktheump Wed Mar 12, 2003 03:07pm

feel comfortable

You should always stay down in your stance when calling a ball. Standing up while calling a ball makes you look indecisive.

The voice on a ball should stay the same throughout the game. If you have a close pitch, and scream "BALL" it shows doubt. You're telling everyone that it was probably a strike.

It does not matter if you give voice and mechanic at the same time on a called strike. Just remember to be consistant with whatever style you choose. Use good timing. But above all, be comfortable in the style you use.

Jim Porter Wed Mar 12, 2003 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TwoBits
Well, I'm going to continue with what works. I'm sure my association will as well.
What works, according to any reputable clinic, school, or camp, is to verbally call all balls to build consistent timing.

chris s Wed Mar 12, 2003 08:10pm

Voice on all balls??? Ball bounces 2 feet in front of dish, catcher muffs it and runners advance. Don't think so.I like the old school, close balls, voice it, dirt balls, everybody can see is an obvious ball, nuttin.3-2 count, no swing, it's loud, whatever it is....jmho

bob jenkins Thu Mar 13, 2003 09:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by chris s
Voice on all balls??? Ball bounces 2 feet in front of dish, catcher muffs it and runners advance. Don't think so.I like the old school, close balls, voice it, dirt balls, everybody can see is an obvious ball, nuttin.3-2 count, no swing, it's loud, whatever it is....jmho
If you're a "new" umpire, you should verbalize all balls to build your timing, as Jim says.

As you gain experience, you can drop the verbalization on the pitches F2 doesn't get a glove on.

Bfair Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Porter

What works, according to any reputable clinic, school, or camp, is to verbally call all balls to build consistent timing.

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more................
Taking your time and making a low key announcement of the "ball" will build proper timing that will permeate into your "strike" calls. When you learn to take your time, you will soon be seeing the pitches better and making your decision about that pitch at a later time---taking all facets of the pitch into consideration.

This can sometimes be a difficult concept to grasp for someone whose timing is too fast, and who believes that slower timing ONLY means slowing down your verbal call. An umpire with fast timing will excuse his timing saying he is making his decision based on where the ball crosses the plate, and the catcher has nothing to do with the quality of the pitch. <u>He doesn't realize</u> that his decision point is actually occurring just before the ball crosses the plate. As one whose timing was too fast for too many years, I speak from experience. Now that I've developed proper timing, those instances of calling a pitch and immediately knowing I blew it---I didn't call what I should have called---have virtually disappeared. So if that happens to you, <u>realize</u> that your timing is likely too fast. <u>Realize</u> that is an indicator of timing that is too fast and that you need to slow down.

Slowing down your timing is waiting longer to make your decision regarding the pitch, and not just slowing down your verbal call of an earlier decision. Once you develop proper timing, it takes a tremendous amount of anxiety out of the game, and makes it far more enjoyable to call. The lack of anxiety then makes it much easier to slow down your calls in the field, resulting in more accurate calls.

Just my opinion,

Freix

gsf23 Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:37am

Personally, I don't verbalize a ball call very loudly, about loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear me. If I don't give the strike signal then everyone else should know that it is a ball. For strikes, what has worked for me is that I will make the verbal call as I am down, then come up and give the signal. For a called third strike I give my sell call and signal at the same time. Seems to work for me, and my evaluators have all said that I give good clear signals behind the plate.

TwoBits Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:10pm

What Jim Porter states makes perfect sense. And thinking about it I do verbalize a "close ball" from time to time. I've been doing this for about 15 years, so some of what I do is just automatic.