The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have always wondered when or what has to happen for the umpires award a runner either 1 base or 2. I have been trying to explain it to my son, and for some reason I have gotten myself confused on these items, and how they are awarded. HELP !!!!
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Usually anything that happens with a pitched ball is a one base award.

Anything thrown or hit is 2 bases.

So a ball goes into dugout on a pitch...1 base.

If a thrown ball goes into dugout...2 bases.

Basic, but hope this helps. And, yes there is a difference between a pitch and throw. From the mound is a pitch.

Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Gary:

This a multi-faceted question with an appropriate number of answers. I'm at work right now, so I just have some time to get the ball rolling. I'm sure others will jump in with more examples.

First off all, there are instances in which a runner is awarded two bases, but to the uninitiated, it may look like he is receiving just one. Example:

Batter hits grounder to shortstop. When he makes the throw to first, F6 throws the ball over the head of F3 and into deadball territory. The ball is dead, the umpire will call time and award the runner two bases. But the award is based on the last legally held base of the runner at the time of pitch (top). In this case, the runner was at home, thus he is awarded first and second, two bases.

Some in the stands will think that he was going to get first on the hit and since he is now standing at second he only received a one base award. You know that's not the case.

Next, during a pick-off attempt the pitcher throws the ball into deadball territory. Again, time is called. Now then where was the pitcher? If he threw "from the rubber" the runner will receive a one base award. If the pitcher had disengaged he is now, for the purposes of base awards, considered a fielder and the runner would receive an award of two bases.

I'll let some others discuss time of throw options and different scenarios in which runners may receive different base awards such as toucing a batted ball with detached equipment and pitches deflecting off catchers into dugouts. I've got a class coming in.

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 4th, 2003 at 03:34 PM]
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

One of the classic confusers is the old "one plus one," common terminology (like "one base on an overthrow") that does not appear in any rule book that I know of. Abel on 1B, Baker hits a liner and Abel takes off running. F6 spears the liner and throws the ball into DBT in an attempt to nail Abel before he can return to 1B. Many spectators (and some untrained umps) assume that Abel gets the base he was returning to (1B), plus one (2B). But Abel gets 3B (though he still has to tag up at 1B).

Or this one: Abel on 1B steals on the pitch. Baker hits a ground ball to F6, who throws to F4 too late to get Abel sliding in. F4 then throws the ball away trying to get Baker at 1B. Though Abel may have been lying on his back with his foot touching 2B, he gets home. Baker, on the other hand, who was not yet at 1B when F4 threw the ball, gets 2B. Note that if F6 had not played to 2B and had made the play directly at 1B (and thrown the ball away), Abel would be awarded only 3B, even if he had reached 2B by the time F6 threw the ball (assuming that Baker hadn't already reached 1B at the time of the throw).
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary carico
I have been trying to explain it to my son, and for some reason I have gotten myself confused on these items, and how they are awarded. HELP !!!!
I couldn't help but chuckle...........LOL
So, how do myths survive?
Thanks for at least seeking the right answer, Gary, instead of passing along whatever myths you may have decided upon. I'll bet you might even stop for directions if you get lost.

Freix

Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

A hit ball is always, always, always a two base award. You have to decide if the award is two from the time of the pitch or two from the time of throw.

Remember that an award to second base given to the batter-runner after an overthrow is a two base award from the time of the pitch. At the time of the pitch the batter-runner is at home base. He gets first base which is the first awarded bases and he gets second base which is the second awarded base. Many people get confused because they think that this is a one base award when in actuality it is a two base award.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump

If it is the first play by an infielder, then its two bases from the time of the pitch.

Remember, in a double play situation, the first play has already been made, so it's two bases from the time of the throw. 99.9% of the time the batter runner has not attained 1B at the time of the throw, so he is awarded 1B & 2B.

ANOTHER DOOZY:
A fair batted ball that is intentionally touched with any equipment detached from the fielder...the award is three bases. Example: pitcher throws his glove and touches a ball that is hit past him. Batter runner is awarded 3rd.