The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Molina ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/76679-molina-ejection.html)

cb33 Wed Aug 03, 2011 09:26am

Molina ejection

We'll see how MLB handles this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_17598943&v=3

asdf Wed Aug 03, 2011 09:44am

Nice little unpaid vacation for Mr. Molina is in the works.

jicecone Wed Aug 03, 2011 09:49am

It couldn't have been a strike because there was no white strikezone box in the picture so, I guess we will never know.

Kaliix Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14am

I am curious to know what happened earlier in the game between Molina and Rob Drake? This seemed to be an FU kind of call. The pitch wasn't even close. Players have a great view of the inside corner and Molina knew that pitch wasn't a strike. Doesn't give him any cause to do what he did mind you, but there seems to be something else going on there. If you look at the pitch tracker in the replay, even it had the pitch as way off the plate.

MLB umpires don't miss an easy inside corner fastball like that for no reason. Anyone see the game and know what kind of back story there is...

Ump Rube Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20am

I really wish more broadcasts would move to the CF for their pitch cam. This off to the side crap gives me neither a good angle on height or width. At least in CF I get width, which would be nice to see here.

I agree though, there has to be some back story on this most players seem to maybe say something but he goes from 0-50 quickly (then 50-60 shortly after he is gone).

tjones1 Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaliix (Post 777571)
I am curious to know what happened earlier in the game between Molina and Rob Drake? This seemed to be an FU kind of call. The pitch wasn't even close. Players have a great view of the inside corner and Molina knew that pitch wasn't a strike. Doesn't give him any cause to do what he did mind you, but there seems to be something else going on there. If you look at the pitch tracker in the replay, even it had the pitch as way off the plate.

MLB umpires don't miss an easy inside corner fastball like that for no reason. Anyone see the game and know what kind of back story there is...

I agree there's probably something more to this...still no excuse for what Molina did. I thought Drake had a good zone all night. And yes, I'm a Cardinals fan and I thought that pitch was a ball.

zm1283 Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24am

FWIW, there was a Foxtrax thing on the screen during the game. They had it up all night in the lower-right corner. It showed the pitch as a ball and it looked like a ball to the naked eye.

With that said, Molina went way overboard and I too think something else had gone on earlier in the game.

STL_UMP Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 777594)
FWIW, there was a Foxtrax thing on the screen during the game. They had it up all night in the lower-right corner. It showed the pitch as a ball and it looked like a ball to the naked eye.

With that said, Molina went way overboard and I too think something else had gone on earlier in the game.

Molina (according to the paper) had said the plate umpire had stiffed the Cards on a couple of calls.

Molina said, "The call, obviously the call, that was a bad call," Molina said. "He missed three pitches for us, and then he gave the pitches for them. That's not fair. ...

Here's the full article...
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html

mbyron Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13pm

10 games, appeal, shortened to 5. Ya heard it here first. ;)

yawetag Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 777601)
10 games, appeal, shortened to 5. Ya heard it here first. ;)

5 games, appeal, drops the appeal and takes the time during the last two CHC games and the three LAD games.

asdf Wed Aug 03, 2011 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL_UMP (Post 777597)
Molina (according to the paper) had said the plate umpire had stiffed the Cards on a couple of calls.

Molina said, "The call, obviously the call, that was a bad call," Molina said. "He missed three pitches for us, and then he gave the pitches for them. That's not fair. ...

Here's the full article...
Suspension possible for Molina

Must have been the glare from the ribbon boards that caused Drake to miss these pitches.

Larry1953 Wed Aug 03, 2011 01:52pm

Drake had called Shumaker out at first the game before and Shu chirped about it in the post game. Then Drake rang him up on a high strike. Maybe Molina had that on his mind as well.

jicecone Wed Aug 03, 2011 03:53pm

That may have been a REALLY, REALLY bad camera angle but, I didn't see the catchers mit move AT ALL. Nada, none, strike three, sit your arse down.

:confused::confused:

JugglingReferee Wed Aug 03, 2011 04:40pm

So I see that the PU had to "take" the bodily pushes from this loonie-bin.

At what point would an umpire be permitted to defend himself with force?

yawetag Thu Aug 04, 2011 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 777676)
At what point would an umpire be permitted to defend himself with force?

Probably around the point he doesn't want his job anymore.