The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Lets see how MLB handles this one.... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/74956-lets-see-how-mlb-handles-one.html)

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sun Jul 17, 2011 08:23pm

Lets see how MLB handles this one....

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | STL@CIN: Theriot is ejected after call at second - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Looks like Ryan Theriot is going to get a few days off, doesn't it? Not only for the bump of Muchlinski, but for trying to throw down Winters and/or Guccione too. My guess is five.....

p.s It was a good call, too.....

MikeStrybel Sun Jul 17, 2011 09:03pm

The 'expected call' fans will probably claim that this was a horrible call. Dinosaur baseball.

MrUmpire Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:24pm

Yep, good call. And the call MLB has said they want in this scenario.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 18, 2011 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 773240)
The 'expected call' fans will probably claim that this was a horrible call. Dinosaur baseball.

I don't think this fits the "expected call" classification at all.

kylejt Mon Jul 18, 2011 08:47am

The "expected call" on the "neighborhood play" is one where the infielder just steps around the bag on a pivot to first. That was not the case here. He was pulled off by the throw, thus the need for a proper call.

yawetag Mon Jul 18, 2011 08:54am

Cards fan here!

He was off the base. Good call.

tjones1 Mon Jul 18, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 773305)
Cards fan here!

He was off the base. Good call.

Ditto... make a better throw, Skip.

MikeStrybel Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 773295)

Sure it does, that is why Theriot was upset. That is why Larussa jumped on the call postgame, saying he thought his team was robbed of what others get.

While the throw was high and out, he was still in the neighborhood and some dinosaurs think that it is acceptable to ring that up. Most 'neighborhood' plays have wide throws - either by design to give the receiver a better pivot angle or are simply missed throws. There are a few dozen examples of the Theriot play resulting in outs available in online archives. A few years ago, arrogance allowed these to be called outs. They were and are not.

jicecone Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 773325)
A few years ago, arrogance allowed these to be called outs. They were and are not.

Its obvious you didn't understand the alleged arrogance of yesterday, and still don't.

lawump Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 773325)
A few years ago, arrogance allowed these to be called outs. They were and are not.

A few years ago professional umpires (including myself) were TAUGHT by their bosses (re: PBUC supervisors) to call the neighborhood play. Since I wanted (at that time) to advance "up the ladder," I did what I was instructed. I do not know how my doing what I was told equates to arrogance.

Even in those dark times full of umpiring arrogance :rolleyes:, there was a subtle but understood difference between a middle infielder being "in the neighborhood" while turning a double play and the requirement placed on the middle infielder to hold the bag (like a first baseman) when the only play attempted by the defense was the attempted force at second base.

Since the advent of HD instant replay from 18 different freakin' angles, the "neighborhood" has gotten a lot smaller; the neighborhood's shrinkage has nothing to do with the elimination of purported umpiring arrogance.

Rich Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump (Post 773337)
A few years ago professional umpires (including myself) were TAUGHT by their bosses (re: PBUC supervisors) to call the neighborhood play. Since I wanted (at that time) to advance "up the ladder," I did what I was instructed. I do not know how my doing what I was told equates to arrogance.

Even in those dark times full of umpiring arrogance :rolleyes:, there was a subtle but understood difference between a middle infielder being "in the neighborhood" while turning a double play and the requirement placed on the middle infielder to hold the bag (like a first baseman) when the only play attempted by the defense was the attempted force at second base.

Since the advent of HD instant replay from 18 different freakin' angles, the "neighborhood" has gotten a lot smaller; the neighborhood's shrinkage has nothing to do with the elimination of purported umpiring arrogance.

Forgive Mike, he's just using this to climb back up on his soapbox.

I thought it was a great call, but what I don't understand is why players go nuclear over a single call. The play at the plate the other night where the catcher went nuts is a great example -- the catcher had no clue whether the tag beat the foot onto the plate and yet he still went nuts and got run (and the talking heads said the umpire had a quick trigger, even though it was clear this would be an ejection at any level of play).

asdf Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 773295)

+1

To get the expected call, you need to make the expected throw.

Jay R Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32am

Stop the video at 1:42 and you'll see Theriot foot is in contact with the bag.

Doesn't excuse his tirade.

Rich Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 773343)
Stop the video at 1:42 and you'll see Theriot foot is in contact with the bag.

Doesn't excuse his tirade.

Before he has possession of the ball. Stop the video when it's clear he has possession of the ball and the foot is no longer in contact.

I think the call is outstanding, myself, but I never was fond of giving the pivot guy anything on a bad throw.

Tim C Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:33pm

ô!ô

JR:

Did you watch the same video that I watched?

T