The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   CWS - Plate Ump @ Vandy v. Florida (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/73473-cws-plate-ump-vandy-v-florida.html)

MikeStrybel Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 769429)
"Ball"

"Where was that?"

"High"

"You're high if you think that."

As with any discipline, professional umpire training is fairly well uniform and the trade specific vocabulary is codified. Just like plumbers, doctors an pilots use are trained to use certain words in certain ways that may seem strange to outsiders, umpires are similarly trained.

It is not fatal to not follow that training, but it also isn't folly to stick with it.

Jim Evans calls it a 'high strike" and refers to the ball as being high or low when teaching. He's pretty professional, right?

While I don't like telling a coach where the ball was, some of our small ball members may. It is no disservice to 12U or your partners if you do or if it is expected of you. Enjoy your games and worry about what your assignor/league director wants.

Rich Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 769475)
:rolleyes:

How about:

"Up."

"Up yours."

Quite frankly, this is a distinction without a difference. Almost as bad as arguing that "rodeo clown" is insulting.

MikeStrybel Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:45pm

+1

Adam Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 769629)
Quite frankly, this is a distinction without a difference.

It seems like every sport has these, then.

chuckfan1 Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33pm

I resisted doing this when the mechanic first started being used. I too felt it was not necessary. But after talking to some who worked higher levels than I do, (D1 around here, Big West, the Pac, etc) they almost all do it. And they subscribe to the theory of not doing it if they have the pitch high or low. Only inside or outside on a close pitch.

"Ball.. thats out"... etc...and a turn of the head....

I have found that doing that on occasion, does work in keeping coaches from asking about certain pitches. It may not work for everyone, but Ive noticed it works to the positive far more than the negative.
And this to me is one of those things like the indicator. So what if someone does or doesnt use one, it doesnt make them better if they dont, or using a crutch if they do. Both are a tool to use...

MrUmpire Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41pm

Quote:

How about:

"Up."

"Up yours."

Quite frankly, this is a distinction without a difference. Almost as bad as arguing that "rodeo clown" is insulting.

I wouldn't argue.

As I said, it's what is taught by the instructors during cage work atJim Evans Academy and becomes habit to some. Just as I wouldn't criticize those who don't use it, I don't believe those who do are any more deserving of criticism.

Steven Tyler Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24pm

Quote:

How about:

"Up."

"Up yours."

"Calm down, Billy Jack."