The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Which is better: B or C?

Ever since I started umpiring, many years ago...I've always had a bit of a problem with the "B" position when there are less than two out.

From my experience, the angle to first and second is much better from the C position than B for both pick-offs at first and steal attempts of second.

Am I the only one that finds the angle better at C??

Yes, it puts you a little further away to make a call at first base but no further than when there is R2 and nobody seems to have a problem when you make a call at first in those situations.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 03:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

B is the best if you need to make a call at first. C you might have to dodge the pitcher to make a call. At the end of the day it is about movement and getting an angle. I use the B position when I have the option but not all mechanics give you that option.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Perception has a lot to do with calling the pickoff from the C position. Your further away so how you can you have a good view however, on a routine call on a throw to first, it is acceptable. I don't totally understand it either but, I know it true.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
Yes, it puts you a little further away to make a call at first base but no further than when there is R2 and nobody seems to have a problem when you make a call at first in those situations.
If there's an R2, there's rarely a runner being held at first.

imo, the steal angle is better from B.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

In the past, I was having trouble getting a good view of pickoffs and the pulled foot from the B position. I realized I was much too deep to get a decent angle on the play, so I moved in about two steps toward the plate which is essentially the same angle you get from the C position . This gives me a much better angle and I haven't had any problems since. (Fortunately my reactions are still good enough to avoid getting hit by a batted ball). As far as the steal of second, I try to move toward third so I am directly behind the throw which also gives a better view. These work for me.

Last edited by Mrumpiresir; Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 06:50pm.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
In the past, I was having trouble getting a good view of pickoffs and the pulled foot from the B position. I realized I was much too deep to get a decent angle on the play, so I moved in about two steps toward the plate which is essentially the same angle you get from the C position . This gives me a much better angle and I haven't had any problems since. (Fortunately my reactions are still good enough to avoid getting hit by a batted ball). As far as the steal of second, I try to move toward third so I am directly behind the throw which also gives a better view. These work for me.
To get an even better view, follow that line and take steps towards the plate when a pickoff happens. Steps toward first base don't really give you much (if you're doing that).
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
To get an even better view, follow that line and take steps towards the plate when a pickoff happens. Steps toward first base don't really give you much (if you're doing that).
We were taught to step towards the 45' line to open the angle and not lose distance.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

You need to properly set up in B which means definitely not too deep. Some advocate stepping with the left foot toward the 45 then squaring to the base with the right foot and getting set to make the call. That works well on a pick-off that isn't really intended to get the runner out but only to hold him close. On the real quick moves you might still be moving when the play happens.

Seems like the emphasis today is just square up to the base with the right foot and get set. Initial positioning is critical. If you are too deep you will be straight-lined and be guessing. The Red Book talks to this specifically.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
You need to properly set up in B which means definitely not too deep. Some advocate stepping with the left foot toward the 45 then squaring to the base with the right foot and getting set to make the call. That works well on a pick-off that isn't really intended to get the runner out but only to hold him close. On the real quick moves you might still be moving when the play happens.

Seems like the emphasis today is just square up to the base with the right foot and get set. Initial positioning is critical. If you are too deep you will be straight-lined and be guessing. The Red Book talks to this specifically.
New mechanic: useful if you are working a game that is really fast. Lower levels, you probably have time to step up and turn.

Right foot jab step to midpoint between 45 and base. Pick something out in the stands, dugout, whatever to step towards. It will feel "backwards" to take a play right foot in front of left.

From there, you can really step into an out or safe call (if it needs selling) with your left and make it look good.

The idea here is to get set and shoulders square as quickly as possible.

Similar advanced footwork for double play.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir
Our association, at its first (winter) meeting, really stressed this. In B or C they want us much closer in. I was startled at how much better a view I got in B of pick-off attempts. Like MrUmpire, we were taught to step towards the 45' line.