The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Terrific call in CWS (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/73074-terrific-call-cws.html)

Larry1953 Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:22pm

Terrific call in CWS

In the South Carolina/Virginia game just now there was a possible IFF that dropped in over a befuddled F6. The crew is miked (Jeesh, how is THAT for working under a microscope?) Anyway, interesting how it was so quickly explained "High sky,huh?" "Yup, Coach, that was a great call by ALL the crew". I wonder if he said that because he knew he was miked or if most such conversations go that way. It came across a tad stilted - but it was the perfect call.

UmpJM Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:33pm

Larry,

Do you tweet?

JM

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:34pm

It was the right call; since once F6 demonstrated that it was no longer ordinary effort, it was no longer an IFF situation.

I had a similar one last week that I correctly called IFF, even though the F4 couldn't catch the ball. He had camped out and called for it, then misplayed it badly. It most certainly should have been caught with ordinary effort, but sometimes even that is too much to ask of these guys.

Of course, I had the usual one moron who wanted to know how it can be an infield fly in the outfield.:rolleyes:

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:36pm

Is there a video clip?

Larry1953 Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:40pm

Interesting non-call of BI when the batter fell across HP and made the catcher's throw to 2B more difficult.

The announcers (Orel) are telling us that the catcher should have initiated contact and that you have to have contact for interference to be called, like when F4 or F6 is trying to make the throw to 1B (to complete the DP. Thanks to recent posts on this site I now know that not to be true.

Considering the call that was made in the Texas-ASU game with B/RI called for interference with no contact, I actually think the PU missed the rightful call of BI on this one since the batter completed his swing and ended up over the plate and altered F2's throw. Agreed?

Larry1953 Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 767641)
Larry,

Do you tweet?

JM

No, should I?

Larry1953 Tue Jun 21, 2011 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 767643)
Is there a video clip?

It was a high pop up that was well out over the F6 head who was backing up all the way and toward the end put both palms up because he lost it. The CF fielded it on one hop.

MrUmpire Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:32am

Posts Per Day: 19.21

A desperate cry for attention.

I may have to come out of retirement.

mbyron Wed Jun 22, 2011 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 767678)
Posts Per Day: 19.21

A desperate cry for attention.

I may have to come out of retirement.

Is internet therapy permitted by your license? By your insurer? :D

Rich Ives Wed Jun 22, 2011 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry1953 (Post 767644)
Interesting non-call of BI when the batter fell across HP and made the catcher's throw to 2B more difficult.

I didn't see the gams. What happened at 2B?

Larry1953 Wed Jun 22, 2011 09:02am

The throw was wide, runner was safe on steal. Ball was uneventfully caught.

Welpe Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 767762)
I didn't see the gams.

Must not have been Betty Grable's then.