The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitcher & Sunglasses (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/72899-pitcher-sunglasses.html)

cb33 Mon Jun 20, 2011 01:22pm

Pitcher & Sunglasses

Was working a 13u tourney game yesterday. DC comes out to make pitching change. Pitcher starts warm-ups when OC comes up and questions whether pitcher can wear sunglasses while on the mound? Told him I had never read anything in regards to this but I would try and find out. He was OK with letting kid wear glasses since he didn't have rule (said it was kind of unspoken).
Opinions? Anyone else ever dealt with situation like this?

I didn't see how I could justify making kid remove them with no rule to govern this situation.

kylejt Mon Jun 20, 2011 01:26pm

Only if you think they're a distraction, then you can ask that they be removed. Otherwise, they're fine. It's a judgement call on your part.

MrUmpire Mon Jun 20, 2011 02:15pm

Quote:

(said it was kind of unspoken).
That "rule" is not only unspoken, it's unwritten, too.

mbyron Mon Jun 20, 2011 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 767111)
Only if you think they're a distraction, then you can ask that they be removed. Otherwise, they're fine. It's a judgement call on your part.

+1

For me, it's never a distraction. Maybe if they were mirrored on a sunny day... ;)

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Jun 20, 2011 02:49pm

I'm sure the eye doctor is glad the sunglasses are being worn. Maybe 10 years ago, my eye doctor said sunglasses would be required for me on the bases and on the golf course. She relented on me not wearing them behind the dish. The reason--I had good eyes and she wanted them staying that way.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jun 20, 2011 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 767138)
+1

For me, it's never a distraction. Maybe if they were mirrored on a sunny day... ;)

Yes, I will side with a complaining player if they are mirrored. How silly to wear such things on a baseball field. Otherwise, I do not find sunglasses the least bit distracting.

DG Mon Jun 20, 2011 06:48pm

No rule to prevent, except the distracting rule, which typically means no mirrowed sunglasses. I never see it, and quite frankly can't imagine why a pitcher would want to

tibear Tue Jun 21, 2011 08:25am

How would you like to deal with the coach (or worse the parent) of a pitcher who gets hit by a ball that he couldn't see because you made him/her take off their sunglasses.

It's a safety issue. Why do we wear sunglasses on the field?

I never ask a pitcher to remove their sunglasses. (unless they were very reflective and caused problems with the batter/catcher/myself from seeing the ball)

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 21, 2011 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibear (Post 767390)
How would you like to deal with the coach (or worse the parent) of a pitcher who gets hit by a ball that he couldn't see because you made him/her take off their sunglasses.

(or worse... their lawyer)

biggravy Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09pm

In a post season game F8 came in to pitch. Opposing coach wanted me to make him go take his eye black off. I laughed.

MikeStrybel Wed Jun 22, 2011 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 767407)
(or worse... their lawyer)

I've never heard of an umpire being found liable for asking a player to remove distracting wear, including sunglasses. Are you aware of any? Just asking, not insinuating.

kylejt Wed Jun 22, 2011 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 767889)
I've never heard of an umpire being found liable for asking a player to remove distracting wear, including sunglasses. Are you aware of any? Just asking, not insinuating.

I haven't heard of any, but I just don't want to be the first.