The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   hesitation (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/69578-hesitation.html)

JohnDorian37 Wed May 11, 2011 08:36am

hesitation

F1 in set position. after coming set, lifts non-pivot foot straight up in air where he holds it for about half a second in (essentially) a complete stop, then either spins it toward 2nd and goes there or pitches.

balk? FED rules. i saw there is something in the article about the windup position that the motion to the plate must not have any interruption, but i didn't see the analogous rule in the set position article.

dileonardoja Wed May 11, 2011 09:08am

If it is a complete stop then it is a balk. Saw it in a 13U playoff game and had HC tell me it was the kids natural motion. He was so adamant that he tossed himself.

8.01b "...After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption."

Edited: Don't have my Fed Book but it is the same.

UmpJM Wed May 11, 2011 09:17am

JohnD,

As dileo says, it's a balk. The FED language is found in 6-2-4d:

"Failing to pitch to the batter in a continuous motion immediately after any movement..."

JM

mbyron Wed May 11, 2011 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 757849)
F1 in set position. after coming set, lifts non-pivot foot straight up in air where he holds it for about half a second in (essentially) a complete stop, then either spins it toward 2nd and goes there or pitches.

Careful here: merely stopping the leg by itself does not constitute a balk. You have a balk only if F1 completely stops all motion of his entire body. If anything (hands, for instance) is moving while the leg is hanging, the pitch/throw is legal.

JohnDorian37 Wed May 11, 2011 02:06pm

and, to be clear, this is a balk as soon as it happens (assuming no part of his body is moving), regardless of whether he goes to 2nd or pitches, correct?

bob jenkins Wed May 11, 2011 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 757913)
and, to be clear, this is a balk as soon as it happens (assuming no part of his body is moving), regardless of whether he goes to 2nd or pitches, correct?

Correct.

What worked for me (and if you don't like it, don't use it) when I did youth games (because you "never" see it above 12 or so), is: If F1 goes to the plate, give the benefit of the doubt to the pitcher that something was moving. If F1 goes to the base, give the benefit of the doubt to the runner that F1 was stopped.

nopachunts Wed May 11, 2011 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 757915)
What worked for me (and if you don't like it, don't use it) when I did youth games (because you "never" see it above 12 or so), is: If F1 goes to the plate, give the benefit of the doubt to the pitcher that something was moving. If F1 goes to the base, give the benefit of the doubt to the runner that F1 was stopped.

+1, Great guidance

rcaverly Thu May 12, 2011 07:03am

Quote:

...(because you "never" see it above 12 or so)...

Way to make me feel bad, Bob.

We were all "above 12 or so" at a CC several, and I do emphasize several, years ago when my partner and I both saw it, we both called it and it ended game one of a DH. We balked in the winning run!

With R3 and less than 2, the hapless RHP was blatantly trying to "freeze the squeeze."

Naturally, sportsmanship at the CC-level being what it was back then, I recall that we had many testy participants during my plate job in game two.

bob jenkins Thu May 12, 2011 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaverly (Post 758041)
Way to make me feel bad, Bob.

We were all "above 12 or so" at a CC several, and I do emphasize several, years ago when my partner and I both saw it, we both called it and it ended game one of a DH. We balked in the winning run!

With R3 and less than 2, the hapless RHP was blatantly trying to "freeze the squeeze."

Naturally, sportsmanship at the CC-level being what it was back then, I recall that we had many testy participants during my plate job in game two.

The exception that proves the rule. ;)

rcaverly Thu May 12, 2011 05:56pm

I read a good one recently: "The actual proves the possible."

seenitall Mon May 16, 2011 01:34pm

Quote:

Correct.

I wouldn't call it depending upon where he throws the ball. I would call it the first time I see it. The nice thing about calling a balk is that it usually stops them from balking again. Call it early and you shouldn't have to deal with it again.