The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   When Is It Too Late to Appeal? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/69127-when-too-late-appeal.html)

Spence Fri May 06, 2011 12:51pm

When Is It Too Late to Appeal?

Bottom of 7. Tie game. 1 out. R3.

Short fly ball to LF. Runner tags. Beats the throw game over.

Players are going through the post-game handshake line. Head coach of defensive team goes to the umpires who are starting to leave the field and appeals that the runner left early. Umpires agree. Double play. Inning over. Extra innings.

The question has arisen as to when is it too late to appeal in this case? Is there something about players still being on the field? Umpires still on the field?

BTW this is FED.

Ump Rube Fri May 06, 2011 01:06pm

FED 8-2-5 pen. (4)

Quote:

Appeals must be made... on the last play of the game, an appeal can be made until the umpires leave the field of play.
Call is good, but in most cases people will ask why the umpires will still hanging around the field of play if the teams are already shaking hands.

Most associations teach for the BU to jog in to HP meet the PU and then leave. Generally as fast as the players line-up.

bob jenkins Fri May 06, 2011 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 756610)

Players are going through the post-game handshake line. Head coach of defensive team goes to the umpires who are starting to leave the field and appeals that the runner left early. Umpires agree. Double play. Inning over. Extra innings.

The question has arisen as to when is it too late to appeal in this case? Is there something about players still being on the field? Umpires still on the field?

BTW this is FED.

8-2 Pen (Art 1-5)

Spence Fri May 06, 2011 01:27pm

Thanks, guys. I knew I'd get the straight scoop.

One more: In high school does the umpire have to wait for the coach to appeal or can he call it as soon as he sees it?

jicecone Fri May 06, 2011 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 756612)
Call is good, but in most cases people will ask why the umpires will still hanging around the field of play if the teams are already shaking hands.

Most associations teach for the BU to jog in to HP meet the PU and then leave. Generally as fast as the players line-up.

Some guys just need a little more attention then others.

jicecone Fri May 06, 2011 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 756618)
Thanks, guys. I knew I'd get the straight scoop.

One more: In high school does the umpire have to wait for the coach to appeal or can he call it as soon as he sees it?

Wait.

mbyron Fri May 06, 2011 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 756620)
Wait.

Unless the umpire is in South Carolina, where (last I heard) they still have the "automatic" appeal.

jicecone Fri May 06, 2011 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 756632)
Unless the umpire is in South Carolina, where (last I heard) they still have the "automatic" appeal.

I remember hearing that once. And I thought that the south had finally got over the Civil War!!! Oh well.

cb33 Fri May 06, 2011 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 756610)

BTW this is FED.

Does an actual appeal (throw to base/ or tag runner) have to take place or umpire can rule based on the question only of the defensive coach?

Is there differences in appeal plays based on division (FED, NCAA, OBR)? :confused:

mbyron Fri May 06, 2011 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb33 (Post 756639)
Does an actual appeal (throw to base/ or tag runner) have to take place or umpire can rule based on the question only of the defensive coach?

Is there differences in appeal plays based on division (FED, NCAA, OBR)? :confused:

1. FED allows a dead-ball appeal. Coach (or player) says, "he left early." We rule on it.

2. AFAIK, FED is alone in allowing the dead-ball appeal. OBR requires a live-ball appeal (tag base or runner and, if it's not obvious, state why).