The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitcher taking signs off of rubber. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/65837-pitcher-taking-signs-off-rubber.html)

barkmo Tue Mar 29, 2011 07:49am

Pitcher taking signs off of rubber.

MLB:
Rule 8.01 Legal pitching delivery..........
Pitchers shall take signs from the catcher while in contact with the pitcher's plate.

Question. What is the penalty for not doing this?
Thanks

NFump Tue Mar 29, 2011 08:01am

Don't do that.

mbyron Tue Mar 29, 2011 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkmo (Post 744822)
MLB:
Rule 8.01 Legal pitching delivery..........
Pitchers shall take signs from the catcher while in contact with the pitcher's plate.

Question. What is the penalty for not doing this?
Thanks

Depends on what he does.

Taking signs off the rubber: "Don't do that."

Not taking signs: nothing.

Of course, if he's quick pitching, you have to address that separately.

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35am

As long as F1 does not quick pitch, leave it alone. In reality, how do you know when F1 is taking his signs? You don't, and tThat's exactly what you tell the opposing coach when he complains about it.

RadioBlue Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 744885)
As long as F1 does not quick pitch, leave it alone. In reality, how do you know when F1 is taking his signs? You don't, and tThat's exactly what you tell the opposing coach when he complains about it.

I think that is a cop-out response to a coach which erodes your credibility. Why not just say, "OBR provides no penalty when they do that?"

celebur Tue Mar 29, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 744932)
I think that is a cop-out response to a coach which erodes your credibility. Why not just say, "OBR provides no penalty when they do that?"

Because that may be inviting the coach to instruct his pitchers to do the same?

Rich Ives Tue Mar 29, 2011 01:37pm

Quote:

Because there IS really a penalty - you get tossed if you continuously refuse to obey the "don't do that" instruction.

And how do you know when the pitcher is getting the "real" sign - and from where? If the pitcher gets on the plate, looks at the catcher and the catcher gives him the finger what do you do then?

And asking a question and refusing to accept the answer isn't always a smart thing to do either.

Simply The Best Tue Mar 29, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 744951)
If the pitcher gets on the plate, looks at the catcher and the catcher gives him the finger what do you do then?

I would wonder if they are dating the same grrl. :D

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 29, 2011 06:55pm

Quote:

Because there IS really a penalty - you get tossed if you continuously refuse to obey the "don't do that" instruction.

And how do you know when the pitcher is getting the "real" sign - and from where? If the pitcher gets on the plate, looks at the catcher and the catcher gives him the finger what do you do then?

And asking a question and refusing to accept the answer isn't always a smart thing to do either.

Thank you, Rich. I was about to laze into the posters until I read your post and realized that it is futile to argue with people who do not have a grasp on the rules or on game management. I like the "giving the finger" deal, by the way. :D

SanDiegoSteve Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:46pm

Quote:

If the pitcher gets on the plate, looks at the catcher and the catcher gives him the finger what do you do then?

Then I guess the pitcher got his sign.:cool:

Simply The Best Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:45pm

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 http://forum.officiating.com/images/...s/viewpost.gif
As long as F1 does not quick pitch, leave it alone. In reality, how do you know when F1 is taking his signs? You don't, and tThatt's exactly what you tell the opposing coach when he complains about it.
Quote:

Yes, why not? :confused: What is to be gained by engaging coaches in futile and aggressive discussion except the loss of your own forward standing? :eek:

Nothing.