The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, heres another one..........coming from a rook, so I just want to get some opinions...........Making the call at first on a groundball in the infield. Ive heard for years about watching the foot hit the bag, and LISTENING for the ball hitting the glove. Do you guys do this? Or just get a good angle, and "pause, read, and react"?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Getting the proper angle and looking and listening has bailed me out on a few real bangers.

Ed H
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started officiating baseball, this was one of the hardest things for me to grasp. I felt as if I had to see the whole play in order to make the right call. I found out that although there are times when this is true, for the most part I could'nt watch the foot and listen for the ball into the glove, because I was in too much of a hurry to make the call.

I used to question myself, how I could sit in the stands and get every call right and then go out onto the field and bang those close ones. I soon found out about "ties that go to the umpire", taking my time to watch, listen and call the play, and before I knew it, I was very seldom getting any calls at first wrong. Some people say that this comes natural to them, but I found it difficult until I learned to relax and take my time.

One point that I found helpful from a Gerry Davis training video was to place my hands on my knees and watch the action. This gave me an extra second for a mental instant replay, from the time it took me to raise my hands off my knees to actually makeing and signaling the call. Another hint at first is to let the runner pass the base and you, before you make your call. Putting all these things together also helps develop your confidence and before long your never missing a call. Then you get cocky and miss one, time to go back to the basics. Exactly as you stated "pause, read and react".

It is much more important to get the call right on the bases. Behind the plate coaches are more forgiving with balls and strikes. On the bases, every runner is a potential run.

Good luck
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, don't be to fast. The runners are coming fast. The ball is being thrown fast, but no reason for you to rush. You must stay back and wait.

The way I was taught is you want everyone to see you make the call. If you make the call to quick, then no one sees because they are watching the action.

So act like there is a camera. Just like in the bigs, the camera cuts to the umpire after the play, then you see him make the call. Wait until after the action is over, you know the camera is shining on you, then make the call. This will help you have the call sink in before making it also.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by chuckfan1

Ok, heres another one..........coming from a rook, so I just want to get some opinions...........Making the call at first on a groundball in the infield. Ive heard for years about watching the foot hit the bag, and LISTENING for the ball hitting the glove. Do you guys do this? Or just get a good angle, and "pause, read, and react"?

On plays at first, the important thing is to let the play go to it's conclusion before making the call. There's nothing in the book that says we have 5 / 10 seconds in which to make the call.

The first part is to get into proper positioning to make the call. Without proper positioning, you are dead already By proper positioning I mean angle over distance. Too many umpires simply stay stationary at first base and don't move and that's when you get into trouble.

Second watch the ball as you would do when doing the plate. I've seen umpires get their bell rung because they turn too quickly. Watch the ball and don't move until you see the fielder actually Release it.

This is especially important on steal attempts at second base. Some umpires turn automatically to make the call at second without seeing F2 release it and that could be dangerous.

When you are in proper position and watch the ball actually release from the fielder into F3's mit, you get a good prosepective on the play. In addition, as others mentioned look at the foot and listen for the sound, let the play finish and IMO if it's a banger - Sell IT! with both verbalization and mechanic (ie; the fist forward punching the runner out).

Pete Booth