The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

In you opinion has the internet outlived it's usefullness?

Do you feel the need to log on without hesitation like it's "an addiction"?

Today there are many umpire message Boards with similar dialogue going on. Some only post in certain areas so the discussions "make the rounds" but do you feel it's useful?

When I first started surfing some 2 years ago I found the Boards useful and learned things that I had no clue of.

However, IMO at least today the Boards resemble more of an entertainment medium rather than a learning tool.

I think the rules discussions "have run the gambit" and by now I think most know where to go ie; The PBUC/ BRD / JR and some have the JEA as a source. In addition, there is the newly formed WUA which adds to the confusion.

Therefore, in summary I often wonder myself

Why do I keep loggin on?
Is it helping?

or does it simply pass the time?

What's your take?

Pete Booth
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

1. As anyone involved in statistics or sampling knows, one of the most dangerous mistakes one can make is to assume his opinion is typical of the marketplace.

2. The number of umpires discovering the internet resources has yet to max out. New umpires and umpires new to the internet are still arriving. For them, the discussions are just beginning.

3. As we have seen with recent WUA opinions, the rules are not static. Interpretations have changed over the years and some seem to be in a state of flux these days.

4. Everyone can still learn something.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Please continue

Pete,
Not only is the discussion just starting from the newer officials but so is their learning. And new officials are coming onboard all of the time.

They can get great value from your input. It is your knowledge that they (and myself) are looking for. Please bear with us and think of the internet as a method for you to increase your mentoring influence.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Pete, I believe the internet has just begun it's usefullness. Not only for officiating, but in almost every other part of our life.

Yes, you do seem to read input from the same individuals, no matter what board your on, however getting the correct information and other opinions quickly, has been a valuable tool for me. Just 10 years ago I spent more time researching for good help, then actually reading it.

If it helps to get new officials up to speed much faster, than it has been a good tool. Im sure there are new officials who will fall into the category you did. You stated, "when I first started surfing some 2 years ago I found the Boards useful and learned things that I had no clue of". This is good for others also.

One of the biggest complaints in all officiatiing is inconsistency. Not only for each official, but from one to the next. Although the internet can't replace game experience, it certainly can help us to a faster and better understanding of the rules.Knowing the rules is one thing, knowing when to apply them is a completely different story.

I agree, for some out there the internet is a ritual, but hey, there allowed to have their fun. I think we are still in the developing stages of all the possible ways that the internet can be usefull in officiating of all sports.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm Pete,

Interesting question.

Perhaps we can look at through a two-sided looking glass:

View #1:

Personally I am really bored answering questions such as:

"Are the hands part of the bat?"

"When a ball bounces through the strike zone is it a strike?"

and

"Does a right handed pitcher have to step off before trying a pick-off throw to first base?"

But that is a "personal problem" and NOT an "internet problem."

I also am tired of reading (this is a "pot kettle black thing") reading the same "self described" experts that go on-and-on about certain rulings, situations and other issues.

Again that is a "personal issue" and not an "internet issue".

I really get tired on Mr. Anoy-mouse posts that do nothing to advance learning or clarity.

View #2:

There is an ever expanding number of umpires that are just gettting started at using the internet.

Less than 1% of the umpires in Portland, OR tune in, read along or participate in the internet umpire boards.

Internet umpire boards are EXACTLY like sports talk radio.

In Portland we have ONE major league franchise. So all year long all you hear is "How about those Blazers?" I mean June, July, September, January . . . it doesn't matter.

A talk show host will talk about the Blazer for three freakin' hours and finally get to something other than who's in the arrest reports this week and a "new" listener (that would be one that just tuned in) will call and say, "Will the Blazer go all the way this year?"

It is exactly what happens here (meaning the internet in general).

New umpires NEED to learn . . . while Internet umpire pages are a good source I believe that questions come without any attempt of personal study and THAT is bad.

Another challenge we face when we give advice is that ALL umpires are different, all experiences are different, all type baseball is different.

For me (a vet of over 30 years) to tell a newbie how to handle a "game managment" issue is silly . . . face it I can get away with a lot more that an untried "new meat" umpire.

Pete, in closing, we need to make internet umpiring BETTER. The people who have been on these boards for four and five YEARS need to help figger out how to streamline things.

As an example:

I would love to have someone write a perfect documented answer to "are the hands part of the bat?" question. I would like it to cover the RULES sections and references but also keep the humor we see every time the question comes up. I would like that person to keep that post saved and post it EACH AND EVERY time the question is asked.

This would keep the stress levels and many "self described" experts from giving 'bad advice'.

There are at least five questions that could have "canned" answers and that would help everyone.

Oh yeah, "Third World Plays" should have a title that says that . . . plus, as we all know, "It Is Impossible To Balk To Second Base!"

[Edited by Tim C on Dec 3rd, 2002 at 04:13 PM]
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes we go a while without anything new, and at times like those I wonder whether we've run out of things to discuss. However, baseball (and softball) keep producing questions worth contemplating. Over on the softball board, we still haven't arrived at a 100% understanding on foul tips. I do agree, however, that we need to compile a list of answers to frequently asked questions.

So to kindle something on this cold winter night, would you call interference on the following play?:

R1 on 1B, batter gets a hit to right center. F9 fields the ball as R1 rounds 2B and starts for 3B. As R1 advances toward 3B, he doesn't see the throw from F9, but instead, by watching F5's eyes and body movement, senses that the throw is going to beat him and is also going to be to the left of 3B. So R1 slides to the left of 3B—within reach by his foot—and gets hit in the back by the throw, which goes into DBT.

When I played, I used to try to anticipate where the throw from behind me would be if the play was going to be close, and I would try to get hit while still going for the base. I always figured that if I made it obvious, they'd call me out, but I really don't know the proper way to call that.

Obviously, in a rundown, if I saw a runner obviously "move toward the glove" and get hit, I'd call interference, but I'd be interested to know how others would rule on such plays.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Actually, I would hope that this medium is just starting to take hold in its usefulness to officials.

While the number of interpretation resources are few, the number of different sets of baseball rules are many. Which I feel chases off many much needed new umpires.

In this vain, perhaps the window of opportunity is just opening for the use of the internet in the TRAINING of new umpires. Can you just imagine having an on-line training course in baseball rules, interpretations, mechanics, and game management techniques.

Some "power-point" style training presentations are just making their way onto the scene, and seem to be in favor by most who have them.

Hell, for that matter, a decent off-line course is great; but, a luxury that most umpire's either can't afford due to time or money constraints.

It seems to me that current training of officials too happenstance. Largely due to too little standardization among the amateur umpire. Not to mention leagues that want GREAT officials; but, expect them to just materialize out of thin air without putting one ounce of effort into their own training programs.

Maybe this is the moment for the internet to flourish -

hey, a guy can dream.....

Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I just started umping this past spring, and I can say from my own experience the internet is extremely useful. For me, reading all the disagreements and differing opinions drives me back to the rules to "find out for myself."

I also agree with rog, an online training course would be great, from a time and money standpoint. A good documented FAQ section would be good too.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
RB2 FAQs for you

If your a rookie and haven't alreay checked out eteamz, try this.

http://www.eteamz.com/baseball/boards/obrrules

There is a rules FAQ, rules myths, etc. Good stuff to start with or go back and refresh.

Bob
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

blarson writes: If your (sic) a rookie and haven't alreay checked out eteamz, try this.

Oh, no. Another goes over to the "dark side."

After you finish up at "sleazeteamz", be sure to take a shower. Don't worry, it will come off.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
LOL @ Garth

Ok..it does get out of hand there at times. You have to admit the links up top would be useful for a newbie.