The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Warning for B/S (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/63858-warning-b-s.html)

Durham Wed Mar 02, 2011 03:26pm

Warning for B/S

I've had 5 plate jobs this year and I finally issued my first balls/strikes warning of the 2011 season yesterday. The best part was I was working 1st base. Half swing strike 3 from Deep B that made for 2 outs. The 3rd base umpire came inside and I slide back to 1st. After the HC announced a pinch hitter to the plate guy, he thought he might try and wander my way and have a chat about half swings. He tried the I want to ask you a question route. I told him that he could come ask me anything he wants, but if he took another step toward me or asked me any more questions about half swings or balls and strikes that "by rule" I would have to eject him. I guess he believed me because he stopped and went back to the dugout. Thank you to all the guys that I have watched handle this situation.

Simply The Best Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 735999)
I've had 5 plate jobs this year and I finally issued my first balls/strikes warning of the 2011 season yesterday. The best part was I was working 1st base. Half swing strike 3 from Deep B that made for 2 outs. The 3rd base umpire came inside and I slide back to 1st. After the HC announced a pinch hitter to the plate guy, he thought he might try and wander my way and have a chat about half swings.

Clairvoyant?

Quote:

He tried the I want to ask you a question route. I told him that he could come ask me anything he wants, but if he took another step toward me
:confused:

Quote:

or asked me any more questions <my underline>
Hm, so you have tolerated his previous efforts?
Quote:

about half swings or balls and strikes that "by rule" I would have to eject him. I guess he believed me because he stopped and went back to the dugout. Thank you to all the guys that I have watched handle this situation.
STB!

Forest Ump Thu Mar 03, 2011 09:46pm

Nice Job, Durham. What group are you working for?

Durham Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 736405)
Nice Job, Durham. What group are you working for?

Thanks. I work DI, DII, and JC. I help out with the HS group in Sac.

DG Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 735999)
Half swing strike 3 from Deep B that made for 2 outs. The 3rd base umpire came inside and I slide back to 1st.

Please explain..

bob jenkins Fri Mar 04, 2011 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 736435)
Please explain..

With R2 only (or R2, R3), and fewer than 2 outs, the umpires are in B and D. That's the start of the play.

After the checked-swing third strike, there were two outs, so the umpires moved to A and C.

Durham didn't say what level this was, but this is the new NCAA mechanic (and it's frequently used at other levels as well).

Durham Fri Mar 04, 2011 08:52am

What Bob said. :)

It was a mid week DI game. The thing that was strange on this was the attempt at an arguement was delayed. We moved back to A and C and a pinch hitter was reported before the coach tried to argue the call. Usually this argument comes sooner in the sequence. We had R2 and R3.

Simply The Best Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 736515)
What Bob said. :)

It was a mid week DI game. The thing that was strange on this was the attempt at an arguement was delayed. We moved back to A and C and a pinch hitter was reported before the coach tried to argue the call. Usually this argument comes sooner in the sequence. We had R2 and R3.

The difference is the HCs attempt to influence (all) future calls rather than change the present check swing call.

Durham Fri Mar 04, 2011 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply The Best (Post 736573)
The difference is the HCs attempt to influence (all) future calls rather than change the present check swing call.

Normally I would agree, but not in this case.