The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   What is happening? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/61523-what-happening.html)

Spizzico Mon Jan 31, 2011 06:33pm

What is happening?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | SF@TOR: Buck makes a grab by the dugout - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

What is happening?

WHY THE BALL IS DEAD???

"A player is not permitted to step or go into a dugout to make a catch.
A player is permitted to reach into a dugout to make a catch. If a
player makes a catch outside the dugout and the player's momentum
carries him into the dugout, then the catch is allowed and the ball
remains alive as long as the player does not fall while in the dugout
"
:confused:

dash_riprock Mon Jan 31, 2011 07:48pm

Dunno. CB?

bob jenkins Mon Jan 31, 2011 08:06pm

I thought they changed the rule /inter / ground rules so all dugouts were now DBT.

Spizzico Mon Jan 31, 2011 08:20pm

DBT? Sorry but i don't know this terms! tanks

bob jenkins Mon Jan 31, 2011 08:28pm

Dead Ball Territory

johnnyg08 Mon Jan 31, 2011 09:25pm

Have we checked multiple sources on this? J/R, MLBUM, PBUC?

stratref Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23pm

First, this is a good question.

Quote:

What is happening?
F2 catches a flyball in foul territory. He catches the ball on the field of play and carries it into DBT (dead ball territory).

Quote:

Why is the ball dead?
This is the "catch and carry" rule. The ball is dead as soon as it enters DBT and all runners are advanced one base.

Quote:

"A player is not permitted to step or go into a dugout to make a catch.
A player is permitted to reach into a dugout to make a catch. If a
player makes a catch outside the dugout and the player's momentum
carries him into the dugout, then the catch is allowed and the ball
remains alive as long as the player does not fall while in the dugout"
The ruling quoted above is correct, however every field I have ever worked and every major league park has a ground rule stating that the dugouts are now in dead ball territory and that "over rules" the quote above.

Jasper

PS Spizzico I corrected the grammatical forming of your original post moving the word "is" to where it belonged. Also the word is "thanks" not "tanks". Not trying to be mean just trying to be helpful with the English language.

Spizzico Tue Feb 01, 2011 08:49am

perfect, thanks for the clarification!!

PS what are the manuals of interpretation used as a reference in MLB?? (those recognized as official umpires by mlb)

stratref Wed Feb 02, 2011 05:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spizzico (Post 724619)
PS what are the manuals of interpretation used as a reference in MLB?? (those recognized as official umpires by mlb)

You're welcome. The interpretations used in Major League Baseball come from the MLBUM (Major League Baseball Umpires Manual) I am not sure if it is even available for purchase. However the PBUC Manual which is used for Minor League Baseball in the United States (and Canada) is available for purchase from a few places on the internet.

Jasper

BretMan Wed Feb 02, 2011 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratref (Post 725041)
Your welcome. The interpretations used in Major League Baseball come from the MLBUM (Major League Baseball Umpires Manual) I am not sure if it is even available for purchase. However the PBUC Manual which is used for Minor League Baseball in the United States (and Canada) is available for purchase from a few places on the internet.

Jasper

Yes, the MLBUM is now available for purchase:

ABUA Online Store

My understanding is that this is kind of a "pocket sized" version (something along the lines of the NFHS rule books), as opposed to the big three ring binder looking thing that was available only to the pros a few years ago.

dash_riprock Wed Feb 02, 2011 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratref (Post 725041)
You're welcome.

Fixed it for you. You're is a contraction of you are. Your is a possessive pronoun. Just trying to be helpful.

mbyron Wed Feb 02, 2011 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 725079)
Fixed it for you. You're is a contraction of you are. Your is a possessive pronoun. Just trying to be helpful.

Especially important for our Italian friend to see it done right. ;)

Spizzico Thu Feb 03, 2011 07:52am

ahahahaha! you are the best! :D

stratref Fri Feb 04, 2011 06:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 725079)

Doh! :eek:
I am really embarrassed by that grammatical slip up. I should have noticed that as I am always noting the mistakes in there, their and they're as well as you're and your. I guess I should quit putting off that English 101 class in college I have been avoiding.

Jasper

dash_riprock Fri Feb 04, 2011 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratref (Post 726029)
Doh! :eek:
I am really embarrassed by that grammatical slip up. I should have noticed that as I am always noting the mistakes in there, their and they're as well as you're and your. I guess I should quit putting off that English 101 class in college I have been avoiding.

Jasper

At least you didn't say should of noticed. That one really makes my hair hurt.