The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Fair or Foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/60476-fair-foul.html)

SCREF Thu Jan 13, 2011 02:13pm

Fair or Foul?

These two FED case studies seem to contradict...what say you?

2.5.1 SITUATION E: The batter hits the ball, drops the bat and it unintentionally
hits the ball a second time in (a) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder
and/or comes to rest in fair territory; (b) foul territory and is either touched by
a fielder and/or comes to rest in either fair or foul territory; or (c) fair territory and
is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in foul territory. RULING: In (a)
and (c), the ball is fair. In (b), the ball is foul.

2.16.1 SITUATION D: B1’s bunt rolls up the first-base line where it hits B1’s bat
that was lying on the ground in fair territory. The ball deflects into foul territory.
Is the ball fair or foul? RULING: The ball is foul, provided the bat was not placed
there intentionally. The bat is considered to be part of the playing field. (2-5-1, 2-
8-1, 8-4-1d)

bob jenkins Thu Jan 13, 2011 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREF (Post 715432)
These two FED case studies seem to contradict...what say you?

2.5.1 SITUATION E: The batter hits the ball, drops the bat and it unintentionally
hits the ball a second time in (a) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder
and/or comes to rest in fair territory; (b) foul territory and is either touched by
a fielder and/or comes to rest in either fair or foul territory; or (c) fair territory and
is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in foul territory. RULING: In (a)
and (c), the ball is fair. In (b), the ball is foul.

2.16.1 SITUATION D: B1’s bunt rolls up the first-base line where it hits B1’s bat
that was lying on the ground in fair territory. The ball deflects into foul territory.
Is the ball fair or foul? RULING: The ball is foul, provided the bat was not placed
there intentionally. The bat is considered to be part of the playing field. (2-5-1, 2-
8-1, 8-4-1d)

I say it's been discussed a hundred times on this and other boards, and I agree.

UmpTTS43 Thu Jan 13, 2011 03:23pm

Two more rulings that make FED different from OBR. God forbid that they model their rules after OBR, especially when there isn't a safety concern.

For what it's worth, there is no contradiction. One ruling deals with the bat hitting the ball and the other ruling deals with the ball hitting the bat. There are seperate rulings on these situations in OBR as well.

dash_riprock Thu Jan 13, 2011 05:06pm

The first one requires us to determine the intent of an inanimate object, i.e., a baseball bat.

cookie Fri Jan 14, 2011 01:29am

"...For what it's worth, there is no contradiction..." between 2.5.1 (E) and 2.16.1 (D)

So, in a FED game accoprding to 2.5.1 (E), if the batter unintentionally drops his bat into the pathway of his batted ball and the moving bat touches the ball in fair territory, an umpire should signal FAIR at that moment, even if the ball continues rolling untouched into foul territory (and stops) after deflecting off the bat?

If that's the case, then I will have to change my understanding of this particular case of FED fair/foul...

greymule Fri Jan 14, 2011 09:41am

". . . drops the bat and it unintentionally hits the ball . . ."

It's hard to believe that even Fed wouldn't catch that particular absurdity.

I used to do Fed but always assumed it followed OBR, and in the rules meetings nobody ever mentioned this significant difference. I'm glad I never had to deal with a case of bat hitting ball in fair territory.

ozzy6900 Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07pm

I fixed this a long time ago;

"Coach, in my opinion, the batter did not intentionally cause interference. The ball is foul/fair. Let's play ball."

I could never be bothered with the BS about deciding what the intent of an inanimate object was, so I just assumed innocent until proven guilty on the batter (an animate object?). :eek:

jkumpire Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:30pm

What??????

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 715787)
I fixed this a long time ago;

"Coach, in my opinion, the batter did not intentionally cause interference. The ball is foul/fair. Let's play ball."

I could never be bothered with the BS about deciding what the intent of an inanimate object was, so I just assumed innocent until proven guilty on the batter (an animate object?). :eek:

Ozzy, you mean you didn't ask the bat about it's intent? I am surprised at you!

newump Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28pm

obr and ncaa

can anyone tell me the obr and ncaa rulings for these situations?
thks.

UES Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:13pm

Do over and ejection (jk) ;)