The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Balk Question? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/60285-balk-question.html)

sprivitor Wed Dec 29, 2010 03:17am

Balk Question?

Hi All, newbie to this particular forum and have a question regarding a Balk.

Forgive me if this posts twice.

Using NFHS rules.

RHP, R1. F1 moves pivot foot off rubber towards third then steps towards 1st base with his left foot when throwing the ball to attempt a pick off of R1. This should not be called a balk, correct?

Now, same situation above, but F1 raises his left heal while still maintaining contact with the balls of his feet to the dirt, he then pivots and throws as above to 1st base. Would the raising of his left heal be considered a balk?

Thanks for any answers!

cookie Wed Dec 29, 2010 04:17am

From the wind-up position, both situations would be a Balk in Fed.

From the set position, the first situation might be seen as a "jab step" - if it is done quickly and with a small step - jab! - toward 3rd. If it is not done so (quickly and with a small step), then I would see it as a balk - illegal disengagement of the rubber.

From the set position, second situation appears to me to be a balk because the free foot gained no distance toward first (poor attempt at a jab step) as the free foot just spun in place after the pivot foot did a jab at toward 3rd.

That's how I'm seeing it if I'm reading you description correctly...

dash_riprock Wed Dec 29, 2010 07:17am

Agree with cookie.

In your 2nd sit., lifting the heel would be a balk unless, in the same motion and without interruption, F1 stepped toward and threw to 1st base (or delivered a pitch).

sprivitor Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08pm

Thank you for the response.

I searched the web looking for some info on balks, and ran across Mike Scott doing a video on pick off moves.

YouTube - Pick off move to first base

about the 2 minute mark, as he illustrates his moves, his right foot jabs towards 3rd. Would this be considered a balk?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprivitor (Post 710648)
, his right foot jabs towards 3rd. Would this be considered a balk?

Didn't (can't) watch it, but in general the move as described is legal.

Rich Wed Dec 29, 2010 01:13pm

Quote:

I searched the web looking for some info on balks, and ran across Mike Scott doing a video on pick off moves.

about the 2 minute mark, as he illustrates his moves, his right foot jabs towards 3rd. Would this be considered a balk?

No. The jab step is perfectly legal. This is an excellent video that demonstrates legal pickoff moves.

yawetag Wed Dec 29, 2010 04:02pm

Quote:

1 second in: "THAT'S A BALK! You - second base!"

UmpTTS43 Wed Dec 29, 2010 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprivitor

I see nothing in his attempts that would be considered a balk.

umpjim Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 710708)
1 second in: "THAT'S A BALK! You - second base!"

Are you talking about the transfer? If he just took the rubber I would consider it momentary adjustment and ignore it. After taking the sign it is a balk.