The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Plate Coat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/59888-plate-coat.html)

dfwump Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:36pm

Plate Coat

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I'm considering investing in a plate coat for next season. I work a full HS schedule starting in late January.
For those out ther who have them; What is the feedback from fellow umps, coaches, players, and spectators? Is it ooos and ahhhs, or jeez who does this guy think he is? Do you wear them all the time or for just the big games?
Are they comfortable? Where should I buy it?

Many thanks for opinions.

Mike C

Rich Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwump (Post 703521)
My apologies if this has been discussed before. I'm considering investing in a plate coat for next season. I work a full HS schedule starting in late January.
For those out ther who have them; What is the feedback from fellow umps, coaches, players, and spectators? Is it ooos and ahhhs, or jeez who does this guy think he is? Do you wear them all the time or for just the big games?
Are they comfortable? Where should I buy it?

Many thanks for opinions.

Mike C

I wouldn't worry about the reaction of people. All I know is there's no better way to work a plate in cold weather than in a plate coat.

JJ Sat Nov 27, 2010 02:58pm

Thumbs up from me on the plate coat. They look good, and if it's cold and you don't like wearing gloves you have a place to keep your hands warm! As for fans and players and coaches noticing - they don't.

JJ

JR12 Sat Nov 27, 2010 03:40pm

I have a Navy and a black (courstesy of Rich) If its cold, it's the way to go. I wear a plate coat on really cold games or a long sleve shirt if it's a lil chilly.
No more tucked in pullover behind the plate for me.
also, I think only the true baseball fans even notice.

Tim C Sat Nov 27, 2010 04:12pm

Hehehehe

Obviously I wore a plate coat behind the dish for 41 seasons.

Once you learn how to use it you'll never go back.

I was taught that you wear a plate coat for every game that MAY finish under the lights . . . I also wore mine whenever I could.

Good luck.

T

kylejt Sat Nov 27, 2010 05:39pm

I get a lot of positive comments when I roll with the coat.

It's comfortable and warm. I wear an oversized Under Armour shirt OVER my chest protector, for extra good looks and comfort. The coat glides over the shirt, instead of catching on the c/p. It's a nice feel.

The coat conveys a message. It says I've been doing this a long time, and I know what I'm doing out here. It's not a garment for rookies, nor novices. You should earn the coat, IMO.

As for every time under the lights, it's still pretty warm here in San Diego most evenings. In fact, I can only bust out the coat on a handful of games per year. I still dig when I can.

Durham Sat Nov 27, 2010 06:34pm

Other people think it looks good and I freaking love it. I wear it every chance I get. I have a navy one and two years ago I bought a black one from Honig's and I love it. I still might get it tailored a little, but it is awesome.

dash_riprock Sat Nov 27, 2010 08:03pm

Starting next year, it's mandatory for college games in the northeast, and nobody's complaining about it.

kylejt Sat Nov 27, 2010 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 703576)
Starting next year, it's mandatory for college games in the northeast, and nobody's complaining about it.

Wow! I'd be complaining, because if it's above, say, 64 degrees, it's pretty toasty in the coat. Perhaps it's just mandatory to have one in your bag.

spiritump Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 703578)
Wow! I'd be complaining, because if it's above, say, 64 degrees, it's pretty toasty in the coat. Perhaps it's just mandatory to have one in your bag.

it is mandatory if you are going to wear a coat--you can go shirt only but if you are wearing a coat doing the plate it has be a plate coat.

mrm21711 Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 703576)

Although admittedly a small minority of people have one, I have to say it seems like plate coats have made a bit of a comeback in the last few years. Nice to see IMO.

Although for most of us, they never went away.

dfwump Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:53am

Many thanks gentlemen. You have confirmed what I suspected. I think I have earned it, although there may be those who dispute that. I hinted to my wife that I would like one for my birthday next month. We'll see how that goes.

Mike C

JJ Tue Nov 30, 2010 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwump (Post 703623)
Many thanks gentlemen. You have confirmed what I suspected. I think I have earned it, although there may be those who dispute that. I hinted to my wife that I would like one for my birthday next month. We'll see how that goes.

Mike C

Tell her you'll autograph a ball for her ;)

JJ

DG Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:04pm

I know one guy in my assoc who has one and has used it in one game we worked together. I would love one but can't justify the cost in my mind. It just not cold enough around here most of the time.

For cold weather I wear long sleeve UA under a long sleeve shirt and am fine for plate work on most days. Every now and a blue moon a jacket is needed but I can generally count those games on one or two fingers per season. Those are games I would wear gloves if on bases.

Forest Ump Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:57am

I have never seen a plate coat worn by the guys in my group. I actually have never seen one close up. I was wondering, Do you wear ball bags with a plate coat or does it have big pockets for the balls?