The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Moving Someplace With More Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/59631-moving-someplace-more-baseball.html)

Armadillo_Blue Sat Nov 06, 2010 07:21pm

I have thought about that, Bob.

I have fellow umpires encouraging me to try wrestling and volleyball. The problem is I don't have the passion for those other sports that I do for baseball.

If I dont move that will certainly be something I would explore.

SAump Sat Nov 06, 2010 09:34pm

Fla and Az are top states

SD, Ca.
Houston and Dallas, TX

SAump Sat Nov 06, 2010 09:43pm

The home of the armadillo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo_Blue (Post 699653)
Does anyone out there have any suggestions on where to move. I would like someplace that not only has a long baseball season but also has a need for umpires so I could jump right in with a busy schedule.

I have family in Las Vegas but they don't know what the umpiring situation is there. I can find associations on the web but would prefer some first hand accounts if anyone has the time and inclination to share.

Thanks.

Plenty of armadillos living inside of Houston or Dallas.
The traffic may present a problem. Gotta love the heat.

Rich Sun Nov 07, 2010 04:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo_Blue (Post 699845)
I have thought about that, Bob.

I have fellow umpires encouraging me to try wrestling and volleyball. The problem is I don't have the passion for those other sports that I do for baseball.

If I dont move that will certainly be something I would explore.

You don't know until you try them. I've found there's nothing like being part of a football crew. And basketball is, to me, a great challenge and a lot of fun.

JRutledge Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 699783)
Oh yeah, I make a bout $2,000 a month doing my hobby (never made that much umpiring) . . .

But in the end, while I still keep my day job, this new activity will still be only a hobby.

To think it is anything else boarders on being pretentious.

At least that is MY opinion.

T

Tell that to the IRS or the state tax agency if they consider $2000 a month to be a hobby. They will expect you to file just like you made that money any other way. I know many people who have other jobs and do thing that make money or have a side business and they do the same thing. Now you might not gross $2000, but you likely spent money that you would benefit for if you are taxed properly. And some of us do this more than one season and if you do not do that, you are spending more money on taxes than you should. If I have to file a W9 with many schools just to get a check, that is much more than a hobby to me and always will be.

Peace

Tim C Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37am

??????????

Jeff:

Your post doesn't really make sense.

How could you jump to a conclusion that because something is considered a hobby you wouldn't pay taxes?

I have paid taxes on all my "hobby money" for the last 41 years. I paid taxes on Baseball Umpiring, Basketball Officiating, caddying, and now my new hobby.

I really don't even get your post to be honest.

T

JRutledge Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 699881)
Jeff:

Your post doesn't really make sense.

How could you jump to a conclusion that because something is considered a hobby you wouldn't pay taxes?

I have paid taxes on all my "hobby money" for the last 41 years. I paid taxes on Baseball Umpiring, Basketball Officiating, caddying, and now my new hobby.

I really don't even get your post to be honest.

T

I did not jump to a conclusion. I just do not see something where I have to keep track of more data about pay or schedule than I would on another job and equate it as not a job of some kind. Then again there are many officials that do not claim their money, so I would see your point. ;)

If you do not get that I really do not know what to tell you.

Oh well.

Peace

mandotheman Tue Nov 09, 2010 08:42pm

I live in Houston, Tx....plenty of ball down here, u just have to get used to the heat in the summer....:cool:

mandotheman Tue Nov 09, 2010 08:45pm

PS, u will have to fight traffic here in Houston, so if you have a high school game at 7pm, just leave ur job around 430pm or 5pm to get there on time...:mad:

realistic Wed Nov 10, 2010 04:27pm

Atlanta is a place where you can ump 2 a day for about 8 months out of the year. All levels and not a bad place if you want to work college as well.

kylejt Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09am

I'm biased, but why wouldn't you want to live in San Diego?

mbyron Thu Nov 11, 2010 06:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 700482)

Hm, something about the Richter scale...it'll come to me...

Welpe Thu Nov 11, 2010 09:47am

Quote:

One reason is that the real estate on in the Sea of Tranquility is cheaper than the San Diego area.

Forest Ump Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:26am

Quote:

too close to Mexico?

mbyron Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 700528)
One reason is that the real estate on in the Sea of Tranquility is cheaper than the San Diego area.

Maybe, but the commute is a b!tch.

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/1...ollo11site.jpg