The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

A LLWS Observation

So, I was bored and decided to watch a little of the LLWS to see how the officiating was doing. In the bottom of the 6th inning of the Ohio vs New Jersey game, there was a "routine" whacker at 1st (not really close but at this level it was).

The BR touched 1st a split second after F3 caught a bounding throw. U1 called the BR out and the 1st base coach (the manager) appealed the call and asked the umpires if the umpires would get together. They did and the decision was the BR was out. The manager now goes to the PU and requests to contest this call, in which the PU goes to the backstop to speak to the "baseball god", who upholds the call - BR is out.

Now, I know that LL has changed and has gone to the kissy-kissy, let's all have a group hug, board meeting, but for kramity's sake isn't that enough? Now "daddy coach" can contest even that call to the "baseball god" behind the backstop? Oh, and this "baseball god" can over rule the decision of the 4 or 6 umpires on the field!

Personally, that's enough to make me puke! Let me tell you this, my answer to the manager's original appeal request would have been, "I've got the call, Joe. I have him out, it's my call and no one else's. We are done with this, no Joe... back to the game.". And believe me folks, that is exactly how I handle these situations.

The only time I get into a huddle about my call is if I do not have enough information to make the call. And seeing as how I do not make a call unless I have enough information, I do not call a huddle of my partner(s). I make sure that I am in the proper position and I have all of the information needed to render my call. There is no need to huddle nor will I entertain a request for one and yes, I have ejected coaches who kept insisting!
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
So, I was bored and decided to watch a little of the LLWS to see how the officiating was doing. In the bottom of the 6th inning of the Ohio vs New Jersey game, there was a "routine" whacker at 1st (not really close but at this level it was).

The BR touched 1st a split second after F3 caught a bounding throw. U1 called the BR out and the 1st base coach (the manager) appealed the call and asked the umpires if the umpires would get together. They did and the decision was the BR was out. The manager now goes to the PU and requests to contest this call, in which the PU goes to the backstop to speak to the "baseball god", who upholds the call - BR is out.

Now, I know that LL has changed and has gone to the kissy-kissy, let's all have a group hug, board meeting, but for kramity's sake isn't that enough? Now "daddy coach" can contest even that call to the "baseball god" behind the backstop? Oh, and this "baseball god" can over rule the decision of the 4 or 6 umpires on the field!

Personally, that's enough to make me puke! Let me tell you this, my answer to the manager's original appeal request would have been, "I've got the call, Joe. I have him out, it's my call and no one else's. We are done with this, no Joe... back to the game.". And believe me folks, that is exactly how I handle these situations.

The only time I get into a huddle about my call is if I do not have enough information to make the call. And seeing as how I do not make a call unless I have enough information, I do not call a huddle of my partner(s). I make sure that I am in the proper position and I have all of the information needed to render my call. There is no need to huddle nor will I entertain a request for one and yes, I have ejected coaches who kept insisting!
You are exactly right; my son was watching the game and I came in and saw the same play. What was PU going to ask his partners? It's U3 call, he made it, if coach has a problem, go ask U3.

Of course, the replay idea is still horrible IMO. But, my son said there was a play earlier in the game that was overruled. So i ran it back (thanks for DVR), and it was. Of course, that call the runner was safe by two steps and the umpire called him out.

Umpire didn't get good position and blew it badly. So, I can hear people saying, "Oh at least they got it right."

Thanks
David
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

So, the announcers just said that they couldn't overturn the call because the "clear and convincing" evidence wasn't there. Guess what they did? Reversed the call. (I don't have HDTV so will reserve judgment. It was close.)
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

This Saudi Arabian team (of all US citizens, it seems) is AWFUL... how does this team get to this point in a tourney. WOW.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
This Saudi Arabian team (of all US citizens, it seems) is AWFUL... how does this team get to this point in a tourney. WOW.
Because the teams they played in their regional we even awfuler.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 08:03am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Personally, that's enough to make me puke!

Ozzy:

You have to stop holding your feeling in. Please let us know how you really feel. Don't hold back.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I agree with you.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

When I first started doing LL, it was always the same ole crap, coach comes out and ask my partner what his call was because he didn't like mine. Now we automated that process and given the coaches a machine to ask. Next we will be having audience participation Gallup Polls. We will also have a bunch of drone umpires, whose only words besides out, safe, ball and strike will be "yes boss", "anything you says boss".

Any wonder why America is becoming such a lazy as$ whinning complaining do nothing society?

Last edited by jicecone; Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 09:04am.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I watched that play that was overruled, and U1 kicked it big time. So, is replay sort of a bassackwards QC check on the fact LL cant/wont ensure competent umpires at their tournament?

Im still waiting for a reversal on a really complicated play.

On a positive note, the plate umpire on last nights game (dont recall the teams) was pretty good. He ralphed a foul ball/HBP incident but his zone was good. Some of these guys are calling strikes the kids couldn't hit with a 8' bat.

Last edited by LMan; Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 11:36am.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
I watched that play that was overruled, and U1 kicked it big time. So, is replay sort of a bassackwards QC check on the fact LL cant/wont ensure competent umpires at their tournament?
Like Denkinger or Joyce?
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Like Denkinger or Joyce?
That's a cheap shot.

Both these were good umpires and will be remembered for one blown call in an important situation.

On the other hand, while the LLWS has been well officiated, you cannot say the same for the Regional Tournament play. Those guys were generally terrible.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
That's a cheap shot.

Both these were good umpires and will be remembered for one blown call in an important situation.

On the other hand, while the LLWS has been well officiated, you cannot say the same for the Regional Tournament play. Those guys were generally terrible.
And LLMan took a cheap shot ot the LL umps - implying that they blew it because they were incompetent. I was merely pointing out that anyone can blow one.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
That's a cheap shot.

And this is opinion is based on what(?), the evaluations you did on the umpires for all eight US regionals? I'm sure you had a real good look at all aspects of their work from the comfort of your couch as you watched the games on TV.

Give these guys a break, they're umpires, just like the rest of us. Treat them with some respect. These guys get slammed on their work because they're "volunteers" who ump LL, and as such, aren't as highly trained or have as much "big game experience" as us non LL guys and we would do a much better job. Yet, none of us would take an assignment to a LL Regional because we wouldn't get paid.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 07:02pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
He ralphed a foul ball/HBP incident
I've made that mistake before...was it a checked swing inside pitch where the catcher came up blocking him?

That's a tough call at any level...I wouldn't hammer a LL umpire to bad on this type of play...

That being said, I didn't see the play so maybe it was a bad miss.

Can you describe the play?
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
And this is opinion is based on what(?), the evaluations you did on the umpires for all eight US regionals? I'm sure you had a real good look at all aspects of their work from the comfort of your couch as you watched the games on TV.

Give these guys a break, they're umpires, just like the rest of us. Treat them with some respect. These guys get slammed on their work because they're "volunteers" who ump LL, and as such, aren't as highly trained or have as much "big game experience" as us non LL guys and we would do a much better job. Yet, none of us would take an assignment to a LL Regional because we wouldn't get paid.
At this level you need to have the best umpires available. I saw enough in the five or six games I watched to say that these guys were nowhere near the quality that would be expected.

They are not umpires like the rest of us. And it's not about being paid. I have worked hard, have gone to clinics and strive to be better every time out. These guys exhibited a lack of training and a lack of rules knowledge. Did you watch those games? Incorrect base award, Base on balls on ball three, very poor strike zone, all in one game.

Give me a break. Read some other forums and other post. I am not alone in my opinion. These guys were not good.

Last edited by Mrumpiresir; Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 07:39pm.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Yet, none of us would take an assignment to a LL Regional because we wouldn't get paid.
If LL was true to the principles it claimed, I would have no problem doing an LL regional for free. It is not, so it does not deserve a free service.