The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Kudos to all of us (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58800-kudos-all-us.html)

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38am

Kudos to all of us

It's 10:07, and the topic we have all dreaded reading since watching SportsCenter last night, knowing what it we devolve to, and knowing who would say what ... has not been started! Unless I just started it. Errgghh.

Kudos to all, and no need to start it here!

johnnyg08 Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:51am

Video is inconclusive. The umpires win this one.

I too, can't believe a thread hasn't started yet. This shall be a thread about nothing.

jicecone Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12pm

Curved around the outside corners and was rising to the left but, I could clearly see from my vantage point what the call really was?

MrUmpire Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19pm

He obviously stepped more to home than first.

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21pm

True, and I can scientifically prove that the ball does, in fact, rise at it approaches home plate.

jicecone Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:35pm

Technically though, you can't apply that same theory to a ball traveling away from the plate because the kinetic energy losses can not be overcome by gravitational misgiving not excecuted at the time of the pitch.

KE=1/2mv, unless used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene or dental health.

Foul Ball, Do Over. And thats my final answer.

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56pm

No, no no. What you're forgetting is that it's all about spin, not gravity. Bernoulli's Principle shows us that the pressure and thus the friction on a spinning object is lower on the side that is spinning opposite the direction of motion. This same principle explains why the Astros, when their season was spiralling more and more rapidly out of control, when removing the friction of their best players being on the block, had a sudden decrease in pressure, thus changing the direction of the team - leading to the current 6-1 run. It was the spinning out of control, and not the gravity of the situation that caused it to turn.

nopachunts Fri Aug 06, 2010 01:54pm

Kudos to all of us

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 687998)
No, no no. What you're forgetting is that it's all about spin, not gravity. Bernoulli's Principle shows us that the pressure and thus the friction on a spinning object is lower on the side that is spinning opposite the direction of motion. This same principle explains why the Astros, when their season was spiralling more and more rapidly out of control, when removing the friction of their best players being on the block, had a sudden decrease in pressure, thus changing the direction of the team - leading to the current 6-1 run. It was the spinning out of control, and not the gravity of the situation that caused it to turn.

You have been in the Texas heat and humidity much too long.

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 06, 2010 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 688005)
You have been in the Texas heat and humidity much too long.

Hey, it may be around 100 degrees today ... but at least it's a wet, unhealthy heat.

jicecone Fri Aug 06, 2010 03:02pm

I could possibly agree with your hypothsis if I was anywhere but, New Orleans, where the thermometers only register two tempatures, Hot and Hotter. Also where the Katrina Principal trumphed the Bernoulli's Principle up to the point where concerns about pressure where not as important as the boyancy effect on the human body.

But, I like your thinking.

Having said that, it reminds of that infamous Little Johnny humor;

The teacher was going over subtraction and asked the class "if there were 5 birds on a fence and someone threw a stone and knocked 2 off, how many would be left?"

Little Johnny quickly raised his hand. Hesitantly the teacher choose him.

Little Johnny stood up and said "there would be none." The teacher asked "why is that?" Little Johnny explained "because, if you throw a stone at the birds , they would all fly away." The teacher replied "well Johnny, for the subtraction lesson only, 3 birds would be left but, I like your thinking"

Little Johnny said "yea its kind of like 3 women sitting on a park bench eating ice cream cones. One of them is nibbling it, one of them is licking it and one of them is sucking it. Which one is married?

The teacher wasn't sure where little Johnny was going with this so cautiously she said "the one that is licking it. Little Johnny said, "Oh No teacher thats wrong, its the one with the wedding ring but, I like your thinking."

Foul Ball enjoy your day.

ozzy6900 Fri Aug 06, 2010 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 687990)
True, and I can scientifically prove that the ball does, in fact, rise at it approaches home plate.

Please, Not the RISING FASTBALL again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJ Sun Aug 08, 2010 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 687998)

Bernoulli was never an umpire....

JJ

DG Mon Aug 09, 2010 08:06pm

If I drop a hammer on a planet with positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it in fact, did fall. Now baseballs, they will do all kinds of strange things when dropped, just ask around....

MD Longhorn Tue Aug 10, 2010 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 688270)
If I drop a hammer on a planet with positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it in fact, did fall. Now baseballs, they will do all kinds of strange things when dropped, just ask around....

As opposed to what would happen on all those planets with negative gravity...

DG Tue Aug 10, 2010 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 688326)
As opposed to what would happen on all those planets with negative gravity...

Pitched baseballs will definitely rise on those. Obviously not a Star Trek fan to not recognize the quote from a very early episode.