The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Question 1: I was asked an interesting question by a coach tonight re: dropped third strike (actually UNCAUGHT third strike as I read it in the book). He claimed that if the pitch bounces before it makes it to the catcher, regardless of if the catcher fields it cleanly, it is an "uncaught" third strike and the batter is entitled to try for first base if empty etc. I gotta say his argument seems valid as far as his definition of a 'catch'. As stated in the rules catch is something like 'the ball goes into the glove IN FLIGHT'. Where is the line between an 'in flight' ball and a ball that is 'fielded' such as a grounder and most importantly, is a bouncing pitch, fielded cleanly by the catcher, an UNCAUGHT third strike.

Question 2: Can the same 'bouncing' pitch be a called strike if it goes over the plate in the strike zone??
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Q1
A pitch that bounces in front of the plate is concidered a pitch only for the batter to offer at it. If the ball goes past the batter without an offer, it is a ball. It is never a strike unless the batter offers and misses.

If the pitch is delivered an a something and 2 count and the batter swings and misses and the catcher drops the ball, the batter is out.
Quote:
Theory is that the batter could have let the pitch go for a ball, he didn't and he didn't hit the pitch so he pays the price.
Q2
See the answer to Q1.

[Edited by ozzy6900 on Sep 27th, 2002 at 05:44 AM]
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, could you cite the rule you got this from. -Tony
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
bouncer to the plate

A pitch that stikes the dirt anytime before reaching the catchers mitt cannot be "caught in flight".

Thus if the batter swings at it AND it is strike 3 AND first base is open or there are two outs then the batter is entitled to run to first.

Of course this does depent on the league. Some leagues do not allow the BR to try to advance on a dropped third strike at all.

john

ps also assuming of course the batter does not swing and miss AND get hit by the ball. In which case he is just out.

[Edited by jxt127 on Sep 27th, 2002 at 09:09 AM]
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

See 6.05 (b)

I don't know about "Theories" and "Paying the Price," but Rule 6.05 (b)(note) is where you can find, ... "Legally caught" means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the ground."
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Now I understand. Tim, Mario "doesnt do rule citations" either, I simply asked to ENSURE accuracy. Thanks again. -Tony
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys - it ain't that hard. See Rule 2.00 Definition of BALL

A BALL is a pitch which does not enter the strike zone in flight and is not struck at by the batter.
If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a "ball." If such a pitch touches the batter, he shall be awarded first base. If the batter swings at such a pitch after two strikes, the ball cannot be caught, for the purposes of Rule 6.05 (c) and 6.09 (b). If the batter hits such a pitch, the ensuing action shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.