The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NewEra hats (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58654-newera-hats.html)

briancurtin Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:05am

NewEra hats

Besides the decreasing supply that Lester's Upstate Sports has, does anyone know where to get black 6 and 8 stitch NewEra hats?

I'm hoping someone somewhere has a box of these just sitting in their closet that they want to sell me...

johnnyg08 Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23pm

Gerry Davis blew them out last year...still some of the best umpire hats out there...too bad they're so hard to find

piaa_ump Wed Jul 28, 2010 01:37pm

new era

over the past few years New Era quality has been dropping dramatically. The main area was sizing......In one batch of new era hats it was not uncommon to find 3 different size hats all marked 7 1/4......

My association switched to Richardson.....

JJ Wed Jul 28, 2010 05:31pm

I used New Era for decades when they were the standard, but I have to agree their quality for umpire hats has really gone downhill. It seems they're catering more to team hats these days. I got an embroidered American Legion hat last week that's a New Era, and it's not pretty...
Go Richardson...

JJ

briancurtin Wed Jul 28, 2010 06:44pm

I've never had a Richardson hat that I'd ever want to wear (out of two). Every NewEra hat I've worn over countless years has been great. The Richardson hats I've had are thinner, have a lower crown (fits weird, fits more weird if you crease), and the bill is slightly pre-curved in an odd manor. Maybe I got those hats from a bad batch, but they are not wearable at all.

Maybe someone like Jim Kirk at ump-attire might know a way to get NewEra hats, so I guess I'll ask around.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Jul 29, 2010 09:57am

When they looked like they were going out, I bought 10 black six-stich and six black eight-stitch to bolster the supply. I suppose that'll do for a while if they become unavailable. I agree on the Richardson, with one added minus: they fade faster, too.

jkumpire Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:15am

It's a Darn shame

But isn't it true in your collective experience that the quality of uniforms and most equipment is going downhill fast?

Yes, Titanium masks are great, and West Vest type protectors are okay too, but when I compare West Vests to West Vests of 5 to 7 years ago, the quality is bad. Hats and shirts, there is no comparison- the fabrics are good, but the quality of the items are terrible.

It is very disappointing, as Kevin put it. Richardson hats are bad, New Era hats are mega expensive and of poor quality; frankly I still wish I had some old Roman Pro hats from 20 years ago, leather bands and all.

Unless someone can find a way to inject quality back into clothing, and that IMO means bringing production back from overseas, things will only get worse.

I did a game this year where the ball were rubbed up beforehand by the home team. The balls they use are terrible; nobody makes a ball worth a hoot anymore, except for D1 college balls or real MLB balls. But the funniest thing was you could see eraser marks on the balls.

After asking why they had eraser marks, one guy told me he goes over every ball they get to use and erases "Made In China' off every ball. In the future I will do the same thing; even if I have to get to the park 30 minutes earlier to do it.

NFump Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 687022)
But isn't it true in your collective experience that the quality of uniforms and most equipment is going downhill fast?

Yes, Titanium masks are great, and West Vest type protectors are okay too, but when I compare West Vests to West Vests of 5 to 7 years ago, the quality is bad. Hats and shirts, there is no comparison- the fabrics are good, but the quality of the items are terrible.

It is very disappointing, as Kevin put it. Richardson hats are bad, New Era hats are mega expensive and of poor quality; frankly I still wish I had some old Roman Pro hats from 20 years ago, leather bands and all.

Unless someone can find a way to inject quality back into clothing, and that IMO means bringing production back from overseas, things will only get worse.

I did a game this year where the ball were rubbed up beforehand by the home team. The balls they use are terrible; nobody makes a ball worth a hoot anymore, except for D1 college balls or real MLB balls. But the funniest thing was you could see eraser marks on the balls.

After asking why they had eraser marks, one guy told me he goes over every ball they get to use and erases "Made In China' off every ball. In the future I will do the same thing; even if I have to get to the park 30 minutes earlier to do it.

And erasing it does what? They're still made in China.:confused:

bob jenkins Thu Jul 29, 2010 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFump (Post 687039)

I tried to do this, but it turned out that the eraser was made in China so I didn't want to use it. ;)

David B Thu Jul 29, 2010 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 687022)

Cheaper materials, but keep the price the same or lower,and people "think" they are getting a "great deal".

Only problem is that we have to replace them every two years or so instead of four or five as in the past ...

Been looking at hats recently and its sad because I've used New Era forever.

Thanks
David

jkumpire Thu Jul 29, 2010 04:45pm

He shoots, he scores!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 687047)
I tried to do this, but it turned out that the eraser was made in China so I didn't want to use it. ;)

Hey look, it's printed by a seam, and if you take a little sandpaper or an emery board,....

jkumpire Thu Jul 29, 2010 04:46pm

Welll....

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFump (Post 687039)

The journey (to change things) begins with a single step....

MrUmpire Thu Jul 29, 2010 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 687088)
The journey (to change things) begins with a single step....

Erasing is not a step. Not using the ball would be a step. Erasing isn't even tying your shoelaces. You are still using the product and creating a demand for more.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Jul 29, 2010 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 687047)

Post of the week/month/season!!

:D:D

jkumpire Fri Jul 30, 2010 05:20am

Sorry, you are incorrect

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 687097)
Erasing is not a step. Not using the ball would be a step. Erasing isn't even tying your shoelaces. You are still using the product and creating a demand for more.

The beginning of change is noting the need for it. You are saying the first step in change is is really step #2.

And while we are at it, please name for me one baseball manufacturer that makes its baseballs in America? I'll buy them for games myself if you can name the name and send contact information along.

Or if you have enough $$$, let's start our own ball making business.