The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Acta Ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58576-acta-ejection.html)

billken Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:23am

Acta Ejection

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@TEX: Acta is ejected arguing balls and strikes - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I'm thinking that there has to be a history here? Acta isn't showing him up enough for an ejection IMHO...but he didn't waste any time in taking care of business.

Because the checked swing is somewhat questionable, I can't help but think that the ump was trying to send a message.

Watching the Ranger feed live, they didn't show the ejection at first...they just showed Acta running out on the field to argue the call, and it looked like 1B was going to refuse to eject him with only one out left in the game. But then they came back and showed that he had tossed him before he ever hit the field.

johnnyg08 Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39am

Sportscenter showed the clip, but Baseball tonight didn't.

He was arguing from the dugout. Can't argue balls and strikes.

Not sure what the hat show-boating was all about though.

Welpe Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:22pm

Jawing and demonstrative signals from the dugout. Good-bye, thanks for playing.

dash_riprock Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:43pm

I don't know...2 outs in the last of the 9th? I just might put cotton in my ears. If I don't dump him, he doesn't come out and I get to go home sooner. But then again I have no idea what it's like to work a major league game.

Steven Tyler Thu Jul 08, 2010 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 684879)
Jawing and demonstrative signals from the dugout. Good-bye, thanks for playing.

I don't know what exactly was said or heard by Timmons, but the ejection looked to be over the top. It could have had something to do with a check swing that was call strike three to end the Cleveland eighth inning. No replay on the first one, but it looked like Shelley Duncan didn't offer on that one either.

JRutledge Thu Jul 08, 2010 03:02pm

First of all we have no idea what was said. Unless we know, all this is nice for a conversation but we do not know how derogatory or personal the comments were. And at that level if a coach does not know that he deserves to go. I do not care what commentators say as they also have no idea what was said. I do not care what time in the game it is, they are not getting away with just saying anything to me.

This is where "silence cannot be quoted" applies.

Peace

mbyron Thu Jul 08, 2010 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 684880)
I don't know...2 outs in the last of the 9th? I just might put cotton in my ears. If I don't dump him, he doesn't come out and I get to go home sooner. But then again I have no idea what it's like to work a major league game.

I agree. Might be an ABS ejection, who knows.

I also don't think the batter offered... :rolleyes:

GerryB Thu Jul 08, 2010 08:54pm

Obviously I don't know, but guess this had a precursor some where earlier.
I believe the hat thing is telling him not to talk to him without his hat on, which Acta doesn't.

DG Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 684880)

Top 9th, as if that matters.

NEohioref Fri Jul 09, 2010 08:44am

@ billken there is come history there:
P.M. Cleveland Indians links: Indians can't get a break, Manny Acta gets rare boot | cleveland.com

TwoBits Mon Jul 12, 2010 09:07am

Midway through the video when they show the replay, the announcers are saying "He didn't say anything!" about the time Acta can clearly be lipped-read saying "Bull----!"

Classic.

Regardless, you don't argue balls and strikes, and check-swing appeals fall in this category.