The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Coach Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58419-coach-interference.html)

grunewar Wed Jun 16, 2010 07:39am

Coach Interference

Last night, boys 16U league. Last game of the season. Close, good game.

Two outs, bottom of four, no one on. H1 (righty) hits a looping, pop foul that is curving foul toward the fence slightly behind first base.

First baseman is making an attempt at the ball but probably won't get there in time.....it'll be close though.

1B Coach removes his cap, sticks out his arm, and plop, catches the ball! :eek:

Ump emphatically signals and states - "Interference, batters out."

Coach shrugs - oops. :o

Umpire is my neighbor. He's just grinning and shaking his head. I said, to him sarcastically, "C'mon Steve, 1B wasn't gonna get to that ball anyhow." ;)

He smiled and said, "Man, in all my years, I've never seen that."

I said, "Ya know, if you ask the 1B Coach, he'd probably say the same thing."

KJUmp Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 682138)
Last night, boys 16U league. Last game of the season. Close, good game.

Two outs, bottom of four, no one on. H1 (righty) hits a looping, pop foul that is curving foul toward the fence slightly behind first base.

First baseman is making an attempt at the ball but probably won't get there in time.....it'll be close though.

1B Coach removes his cap, sticks out his arm, and plop, catches the ball! :eek:

Ump emphatically signals and states - "Interference, batters out."

Coach shrugs - oops. :o

Umpire is my neighbor. He's just grinning and shaking his head. I said, to him sarcastically, "C'mon Steve, 1B wasn't gonna get to that ball anyhow." ;)

He smiled and said, "Man, in all my years, I've never seen that."

I said, "Ya know, if you ask the 1B Coach, he'd probably say the same thing."

Just when you thought that you've seen it all!

GoodwillRef Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08am

We wonder why players seem to be getting dumber...it is rubbing off from their coaches.

charliej47 Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:47am

I'm doing a 12u game as the PU. Line drive hit to F6. 3rd coach grabs the runner off 3rd and drags him back to the base. I call the ball dead, the runner out and the coach gets up set. He asks for an explanation and I state "Coach's interference by assisting the runner." He looks at me and says:rolleyes:" I was just helping him back to the base!" I state "That is why he is out'":eek:

txump81 Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 682176)
I'm doing a 12u game as the PU. Line drive hit to F6. 3rd coach grabs the runner off 3rd and drags him back to the base. I call the ball dead, the runner out and the coach gets up set. He asks for an explanation and I state "Coach's interference by assisting the runner." He looks at me and says:rolleyes:" I was just helping him back to the base!" I state "That is why he is out'":eek:

Here's your sign! See the post above about lack of intelligence. This one doesn't even need to reproduce much less coach.

mbyron Wed Jun 16, 2010 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 682176)
3rd coach grabs the runner off 3rd and drags him back to the base. I call the ball dead, the runner out and the coach gets up set.

Coach's INT is a delayed dead ball, allowing the defense the opportunity to record other outs. It's not clear from your description whether you waited until the end of playing action to make your call, so I'm not saying you did anything wrong....