The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Are there any specific rules or guidelines related to "backing up" players during the game. Specifically, our team's first baseman has been instructed by his coach/dad to cover the catcher's position by running in front of the catcher at home plate. I thought if a player was "backing up" another player he would go behind the player in that position rather than in front. This has caused some conflict. We do not see any other team in our league using this process. Any comments?
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like he's trying to get the player into a cutoff position. Often the first baseman is used to "cut off" a throw to the plate in order to redirect the play to another base.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

This first baseman goes to home plate every play unless he has a runner coming to first. Is this common practice? We have 8 years experience with girls softball and have never seen this procedure. This is our second time with this coach and he had his son play this play during the spring season and now the fall season.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Don't worry about it. You're an ump, not a coach. Let it be. Shouldn't matter.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I may be in the wrong Forum, but I am the parent of the 7 year old catcher who is run over by the 7 year old first baseman--not an Ump. Sorry---
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LS Evans
This first baseman goes to home plate every play unless he has a runner coming to first. Is this common practice? We have 8 years experience with girls softball and have never seen this procedure. This is our second time with this coach and he had his son play this play during the spring season and now the fall season.
So you have a 7 year old - and probably a new coach at that level too. Ah-ha! The coach probably doesn't trust the catcher to make a play so he's having his first baseman cover instead.

Bad move - not real baseball. Cutoff and backup assignments can vary depending on the anticipated play so there's no one-size-fits-all answer as to who goes where.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen hundreds of these types. They think they're the only players who are capable of catching a ball, and roam all over the field. And that includes high school and a few in college.

Bob
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

So, as a parent do you just ignore it? We have found the coach/father is not receptive to any questions related to his coaching/playing style.

Yes, the coach is young but he will assure you of his greatness. We are a couple of parents who are older than some--did the career/doctoral programs before having children--and it is difficult to watch his inexperience and determination cloud an otherwise fun activity.

Two families pulled their sons off the team. Any advise?

Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Advise? Yes. Volunteer right then and there to coach. Make a difference. Little League is volunteer. Be an assistant. Coach next year. Coach every year. If you don't like what is going on, get on the Little League board.

Also, if parents have pulled kids off the team, I think you have a good chance of calling the league director and having the coach talked to. If he doesn't shape up, then he might get pissed enough to quit.

Receptive? If he is coaching my kid and doing the wrong things in teaching fundamentals, I would ensure he has the proper guidance or is replaced.

Be nice, but subtly let him know you will help (along with about 8 other parents) and he can't say no. Maybe you won't be in the dug-out during the game, but at practise you can make a difference.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

My husband has volunteered (baseball/softball/tennis/ soccer/basketball)--we both do all we are allowed to do, but my husband was told last night if he didn't like the way things were done he was not needed. Asking questions did not set well.

In eight years of various sports teams, we have never experienced anything like this situation. We don't believe it is good to encourage quitting, but it is important for our children to benefit from the experience--fall season only lasts about three more weeks--maybe that is the answer??

From some of your comments and what we have researched ourselves, it seems that coaches do have flexibilities as to how they run their teams, but that this coach is doing something quite unusual. And he is an inexperienced coach wanting to showcase his "talented" son.

Thanks for your comments--We will continue to check for additional advice.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

There are a couple of different points here. First off, what the coach is doing is in no way illegal so he can't be "made" to stop.

On the other hand, it is bad baseball and not terribly bright. One day he will get caught in a situation where plays need to be made in multiple places in quick succession and then he is up the creek because only one player on the team is capable of playing.

If you have discussed your concerns as a group with the coach with no luck and several parents have taken their kids off of the team, then you have a few different avenues available to you.

1) As a group go to your division commissioner who represents the board and ask him or her for their assistance with the situation. Different leagues take dramatically different stances on these types of things so I cannot speculate as to how this will turn out, but, if you have good people on your board, they may be able to help you out.

2) If that does not work, you may have to gut the situation out for this year and then you have a couple of different choices. When you sign up for next year, most leagues will allow you to specify a coach that you do not want your child to play for. Definitely do this. If you think the problem is more systemic, then I would recommend that you get together with other like minded people and try to change enough board positions out to change the focus of your league. Just my two cents.

Believe it or not, this is also a learning experience for your son. As he grows older, he will encounter people in positions of authority who are incompetent. While he is a little young to have to learn about this, he would have to sooner or later. Just try to help him understand that some situations simply have to be tolerated and not to take it personally.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Good thing there is only a few weeks left with this knuckle head. I suggest you stick this season out. Even though he is clearly in the wrong both in playing good baseball and being a good role model I firmly believe that quitting only teaches the children that when things get tough quit. Hang in there....
Make sure the board has feedback on this coach and his practices. Many times parents gripe about coaches and the information never gets back to the league officials. It is difficult for the board to bar him if he is a baseball idiot. Volunteers are hard to come by, but if you can show them that he is not coaching in the best interest of all the children he should not be in that position. This is winterball correct??? Where I live this is a lower competitive instructional period for the children and if that is the case in your area it should be used as one. Who cares in winter ball if you win or lose. It is about teaching.
Lastly volunteer yourself. I manage and have managed my son for 6 years now. It is alot of work but you do not have to worry about idiots like this. Teach the kids proper sportsmanship, techniques to the best of your ability and have fun.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks so much for all your comments and advice. We have made some decisions:

(1)Reinforce the concept with our son the importance of sticking with his team, (2)Continue to volunteer our assistance. (3)Work with the Board concerning these issues (4)Request another coach next season, and (5)Learn from this situation.

Yes, this is "fall ball" and the purpose was supposed to be to learn the mechanics better, etc., but that is not what our coach is stressing--he is in law enforcement in real life, so maybe he forgets he is off the job when he gets to the ballfield!
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

LS Evans--Hang in there, don't let this experience cloud your son's approach to the game. Happy Baseball to you
Old Mon Sep 23, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by LS Evans
Thanks so much for all your comments and advice. We have made some decisions:

(1)Reinforce the concept with our son the importance of sticking with his team, (2)Continue to volunteer our assistance. (3)Work with the Board concerning these issues (4)Request another coach next season, and (5)Learn from this situation.

Yes, this is "fall ball" and the purpose was supposed to be to learn the mechanics better, etc., but that is not what our coach is stressing--he is in law enforcement in real life, so maybe he forgets he is off the job when he gets to the ballfield!
As a current Dad and a former LL coach I've got to ask is
your son having fun playing on this team? If not and he
wants to quit then take him off. If he is having fun then
leave him alone. Yes, there are a lot of jerks coaching
LL ball, if your kid doesn't have a problem with this
particular jerk then ignore it. It's no big deal, really.
Good luck