Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Now that's a great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Next time he announces or broadcasts a game you're working - buy him a half dozen carmel apples before the game!
If it happens again I will do that; that is the kind of cold-blooded thinking I like to see in my fellow umpires!
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

This doesn't have anything to do with MY umpiring, but I saw it the other day and it really irritated me....

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIL@SD: Gonzalez goes down on strikes, gets ejected - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Is that Dick Enberg as the PBP guy? What a douche. He claims that Drake "incited" Gonzalez by putting a finger up. (Which really looked like a final warning before dumping him) I'm pretty sure Gonzalez had already incited the situation by turning around and then pointing at the plate. Then the moron color guy praises Bud Black (head rat) for "mixing it up with the home plate umpire", which really means arguing balls and strikes and getting tossed.

Idiot announcers are my biggest irritant.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Sound effects!!!

On every foul ball that goes out of play. There is glass breaking. Gets old quickly.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 07:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Hey - at least he called you by the wrong name - and if anyone was listening - they'll have no idea it was you! And you can join in all the fun conversations with "fans" and say, "I wonder who that guy was - never seen or heard of him before". Pretty Cool!
There's one guy who is really annoying in an area I used to live in (I don't know if he's there anymore). He always used to ask our names -- I'd give him the names of two of the more obscure MLB umpires. He'd always write the names down diligently, too.

A partner once had our 4-man crew announced as Bruce Froemming, Tim McClelland, Joe Brinkman, and Dale Scott.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 10:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
This doesn't have anything to do with MY umpiring, but I saw it the other day and it really irritated me....

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIL@SD: Gonzalez goes down on strikes, gets ejected - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Is that Dick Enberg as the PBP guy? What a douche. He claims that Drake "incited" Gonzalez by putting a finger up. (Which really looked like a final warning before dumping him) I'm pretty sure Gonzalez had already incited the situation by turning around and then pointing at the plate. Then the moron color guy praises Bud Black (head rat) for "mixing it up with the home plate umpire", which really means arguing balls and strikes and getting tossed.

Idiot announcers are my biggest irritant.
Yes, it's Dick Enberg...OH MY!

Yeah, and on the radio, Ted Leitner (who is a stupid a$$ to start with) said that Drake overreacted to Gonzalez, who only said, "that's not a strike." What a crock of crap. Drake isn't my favorite umpire by a long shot, but nobody throws out a ballplayer for just saying that. Gonzalez obviously said, "YOU......" something or other to get kicked out for the first time in his career.

The moron color guy is Mark Grant, ex MLB rat (pitched for the Padres and the Giants), who is actually a pretty nice guy, and I discuss the broadcasters' lack of rule expertise with him whenever I run in to him (he hangs out at a 7-11 near my house). You can't expect rats (once a rat, always a rat) who are wannabe umpires to think like an umpire. It's their nature to think like rats.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Gonzalez obviously said, "YOU......" something or other to get kicked out for the first time in his career.
To me, it looked like Gonzalez first said "That's two you..." I could be wrong, though.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Is that Dick Enberg as the PBP guy? What a douche. He claims that Drake "incited" Gonzalez by putting a finger up.
I snipped your comment about idiot announcer, but you using Dick Enberg, douche, and idiot speaks volumes -- about you.

Drake had no business pointing at Gonzalez. Just toss him and be done with it. Umpires hate getting shown up, so why point fingers and show up the players?

Gonzalez clearly got what he deserved, but Drake just makes it worse (and makes himself look bad) by dropping down to the same level as players/managers that want to throw fits.

Drake was brutal behind the plate, and he had probably been hearing about it for the entire game.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPChris View Post
I snipped your comment about idiot announcer, but you using Dick Enberg, douche, and idiot speaks volumes -- about you.
Also, Enberg has an extensive baseball background, having played college ball as well as coaching the San Fernando Valley State baseball team from 1961 to 1965. I would say that, combined with all the major league baseball he has covered with style and flair, makes him one of the best announcers in the business. We San Diegans are very happy that he is the new lead TV play-by-play guy.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
There's one guy who is really annoying in an area I used to live in (I don't know if he's there anymore). He always used to ask our names -- I'd give him the names of two of the more obscure MLB umpires. He'd always write the names down diligently, too.

A partner once had our 4-man crew announced as Bruce Froemming, Tim McClelland, Joe Brinkman, and Dale Scott.
Now that's funny. I did the same thing one time and put down our assisgnor as the PU. Hilarious to hear it announced.

Thanks
DAVid
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I know a lot of you guys love The Drake, 'cause he had his own website(bad idea), and answered your questions. But he gets in the middle of more @#$%storms than anyone else out there. There must be a reason for this.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Now that'll be funny to about five people at the game, including the four umpires. Now if you went with Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Jose Feliciano and David Paterson, THEN you'd get a larf or two.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPChris View Post

Drake had no business pointing at Gonzalez. Just toss him and be done with it. Umpires hate getting shown up, so why point fingers and show up the players?

Gonzalez clearly got what he deserved, but Drake just makes it worse (and makes himself look bad) by dropping down to the same level as players/managers that want to throw fits.

Drake was brutal behind the plate, and he had probably been hearing about it for the entire game.
Quote:
Also, Enberg has an extensive baseball background, having played college ball as well as coaching the San Fernando Valley State baseball team from 1961 to 1965. I would say that, combined with all the major league baseball he has covered with style and flair, makes him one of the best announcers in the business. We San Diegans are very happy that he is the new lead TV play-by-play guy.
Once a rat always a rat I guess. Here's another jem from old Dick: Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | SD@HOU: Mills tossed for arguing balls and strikes - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 01:49am

What was Marquez pointing his finger at Mills for, and why did he first come around in front of the catcher and point his finger at him as well? Not something we amateur umpires should emulate. I would probably have gotten kicked out of my old HS association for doing something like Marquez did.

And until former umpires become play-by-play announcers themselves, I don't know how you expect the announcers to act, as they are naturally predisposed to be biased toward the team that pays them to call the games.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was Marquez pointing his finger at Mills for, and why did he first come around in front of the catcher and point his finger at him as well? Not something we amateur umpires should emulate. I would probably have gotten kicked out of my old HS association for doing something like Marquez did.
Exactly. As the announcer said, I say something to F2 as we're crouching down for the next pitch. At the least, I'm saying something as I brush off the plate. I'm definitely not pointing my finger at him.

We don't know what's been said between the two before this, though. It's possible Marquez had already done what I said above, and Mills didn't stop. It still doesn't look professional when he does that.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And until former umpires become play-by-play announcers themselves
Now that's a good idea.