The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pre-Game (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57481-pre-game.html)

blindofficial Tue Mar 09, 2010 06:50pm

Pre-Game

I was reading over the NFHS Officials' Quarterly magazine. In it they have an article about game management. One of the points the article points out states, "Do not answer rules or mechanics questions that may be offered."

I'm pretty new when it comes to umpiring. I've seen some umpires ask if there are any questions, and some who do not.

According to this article, it says to NOT answer any questions they have on rules or mechanics. What do you say to the coach to not answer a rule or mechanic question they have?

mbyron Tue Mar 09, 2010 07:42pm

If I can answer the question in 15 words or less I will. Otherwise, something along the lines of, "Coach, we don't have time to address that in detail right now."

The pre-game meeting is not a rules clinic.

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 09, 2010 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 667298)
If I can answer the question in 15 words or less I will. Otherwise, something along the lines of, "Coach, we don't have time to address that in detail right now."

The pre-game meeting is not a rules clinic.

Can't expand much more on that!

DG Tue Mar 09, 2010 09:14pm

I think I can answer most questions with 20 seconds or less. I don't count words.

johnnyg08 Tue Mar 09, 2010 09:40pm

we don't ask for a coaching clinic, coaches should worry about doing their job, we should worry about doing ours. If I'm asked nicely about a coverage or rotation in between innings or something I will talk with the coach about it...it can help dispel myths

JJ Tue Mar 09, 2010 09:43pm

Be careful how the coach's question is phrased. If it starts with, "In the game we had LAST week...", you might want to opt out of trying to give a detailed answer. Usually that phrasing means the coach had a ruling go against him and he's looking for validation that those umpires were wrong. Besides that, he's had enough time since that game LAST week to investigate the ruling those umpires made without putting you on the spot.

One of my baseball rules of thumb - "Before you respond/react to anyone, consider the source."

JJ

rcaverly Tue Mar 09, 2010 09:52pm

The one problem with feeding the bears is...

PeteBooth Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial (Post 667293)
Quote:

I was reading over the NFHS Officials' Quarterly magazine. In it they have an article about game management. One of the points the article points out states, "Do not answer rules or mechanics questions that may be offered."

I'm pretty new when it comes to umpiring. I've seen some umpires ask if there are any questions, and some who do not.

According to this article, it says to NOT answer any questions they have on rules or mechanics. What do you say to the coach to not answer a rule or mechanic question they have
?

The Pre-Game meeting with the coaches is "short and sweet" and I do not say "are there any questions"

It goes something like this

1. Intros (if need be) In HS after year 2 for the most part you know most of the coaches so the intro is a formality

2. Exchange line-ups

3. Skip take us around

4. If there are unusual field conditions etc. go over any special type ground rules.

5. Jewlery warning

6. Teams properly equipped

Time to play. The Pre-game takes all of about 3 minutes

As mentioned I do not say "any questions"

The coaches are supposed to attend the Pre-Season meetings so that's where they can express their concerns or ask questions NOT at game time.

Pete Booth

Robert E. Harrison Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32am

Sportsmanship

Coach,
Thank-you for the duplicate copies of your lineup with all potential subs listed
Any ground rules? Questions about ground rules?
Are your players legally and properly equipped.
I hope they play well for you today and display good sportsmanship.

bossman72 Wed Mar 10, 2010 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth (Post 667430)
The Pre-Game meeting with the coaches is "short and sweet" and I do not say "are there any questions"

1. Intros (if need be) In HS after year 2 for the most part you know most of the coaches so the intro is a formality

2. Exchange line-ups

3. Skip take us around

4. If there are unusual field conditions etc. go over any special type ground rules.

5. Jewlery warning

The coaches are supposed to attend the Pre-Season meetings so that's where they can express their concerns or ask questions NOT at game time.

Pete Booth

Nicely done! I have the same pregame except for #5, but that's not a bad one to include an informal warning to remind everyone (since someone always forgets to take his necklace off after school).

Also, #6 is very important for liability issues

yawetag Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth (Post 667430)

2. Exchange line-ups

3. Skip take us around

5. Jewlery warning

Pete Booth

You forgot:
7. Display good sportsmanship

And, in some organizations, #1 is a must. My org services all but 4 of the high schools in the area. We have over 200 umpires. Introductions are needed almost every time.

Forest Ump Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 667913)
You forgot:
7. Display good sportsmanship

And, in some organizations, #1 is a must. My org services all but 4 of the high schools in the area. We have over 200 umpires. Introductions are needed almost every time.

I dropped #7 Good Sportsmanship this year. I added in that all coaches must be in the dugout during live ball. It's a POE in our association. I don't like a long plate meeting so something had to go and it was the good sportmanship line.

pastordoug Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00am

I dropped the Jewlery warning.... Doesn't seem to work and don't want to toss a kid with that being my first warning.... Now when I find someone with jewlery, I give the warning right then to the HC and the point is taken with generally no futher problems.

UmpJM Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 668702)
I dropped #7 Good Sportsmanship this year. I added in that all coaches must be in the dugout during live ball. It's a POE in our association. I don't like a long plate meeting so something had to go and it was the good sportmanship line.

Forest,

So, I take it you're not doing any FED game this year?? (Ref. 4-1-3a).

I would be as likely to mention jewelry or coaches in the dugout during the plate conference as I would the "3 strikes and 4 balls thing".

JM

Forest Ump Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 668714)
Forest,

So, I take it you're not doing any FED game this year?? (Ref. 4-1-3a).

I would be as likely to mention jewelry or coaches in the dugout during the plate conference as I would the "3 strikes and 4 balls thing".

JM

I understand what you're saying JM and that's how you roll but I have to do what my association says to do. It came straight from the top that we tell them at the plate meeting to be in the dugout during live ball. I walk the company line.

I could keep the sportsmanship line in there. It takes maybe 5 seconds to say, "Gentlemen, we expect good sportmanship to prevail throughout this contest". Not much to it when you think about it. I'll consider reinstating it. But I'm drawing the line at the "3 strikes and 4 balls thing".