The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

I know this has been brought up in the past but I just wanted to get off the dead ball balk subject for a moment.
At Comiskey Park, and many (if not all) other diamonds, there are 2 circles in foul territory (one on each side of home plate). What was their purpose? For the media? For the on deck hitter to warm up? Can you give me a reference cuz I'll need it to settle a rather large bet. I have my theories but I'm not exactly sure.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
I am a White Sox fan, and have often wondered the same thing about comiskey park. While the circles to which i am fairly sure you are referring are rather close to the plate, i have always felt that they were supposed to be some sort of "novelty" on deck circles. The players in actuality warm up while on deck just outside the dugout on the plate side. There (at least on the home side, I have never sat close enough on the visitor's side) is some sort of mat (that is, I do not believe it is anything permanent, just something lain down) with the sox logo on it, that is just about the same size as the circles near the plate. This leads me to believe that maybe in the past the circles near the plate were used for on deck batters, but that practice was stopped when they realized it was too dangerous. Perhaps, this realization came before Comiskey Park (II) was built in '90 (maybe '91?), but they decided to keep the circles as a similarity between old and new comiskey (hey, it could happen....they shipped the infield dirt from old comiskey to put it in new comiskey).

Also, if I remember correctly, they might put decorative mats or something down on those circles during games of high importance (playoffs, although that is so rare for the sox, and they may do it next year for the all star game). This however, is something I am not confident on. Not to say that I am confident on the first part of my post, just my completely uneducated guess.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach&Blue
The small circles you are referring to are used for infield practice. During pre-game activities, 2 coaches hit infield practice. The coach hitting in the first base circle hits to the 3B and SS, while the coach in the third base circle hits to 2B and 1B. The circles are put there so the coaches do not ruin the grass because of repeated use and keeps the coach off the dirt and lines.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

The circles were put there by extraterrestrials. To elicit interest for anything associated with the White Sox. Since few fans show up for games.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

"The circles were put there by extraterrestrials."

I agree, I remember seeing that ship in the neighborhood. But I thought that were put there to give us the real answer everyone has been waiting for.

IS THERE REALLY A DEAD BALL BALK?

Only the Shadow knows!!!!!!!
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB_Ryan

I am a White Sox fan, and have often wondered the same thing about comiskey park.

The real thing to question about Comiskey II is why did they build it across the street from old Comiskey?

The worst part about Comiskey was wondering if your car was still going to be there after a game............

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
I should have guessed that I would get some sort of comment about the area that comiskey is in. True, the area around the ballpark is not a safe place to be, most of the time. However, that is if you decide to venture up to a white sox game at a time when no one else does. Sure, its dangerous in the projects (which are visible from the park). But when there are 20,000+ (yes, thats a good day for the sox) people walking around, and cops all over the place directing traffic and just patrolling the area, I really don't think there is much to worry about.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

The New Comiskey was built there to keep it in the same area. If you think the area is dangerous, take a trip to the L. A. Coliseum. Wherever you park, even in the stadium parking lot, you have to pay someone so your car won't be vandalized. Of course, you pay when you return, or they take the money and run. I doubt if the NFL will return to L. A. if the city insists on playing in the Coliseum.

Bob
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
At Comiskey Park, and many (if not all) other diamonds, there are 2 circles in foul territory (one on each side of home plate). What was their purpose?
Coach&Blue has it correct. They are used by coaches for hitting practice balls to their players, so as not to disturb the finely manicured home plate area. And the official name of them is the, "fungo circle," appropriately named after the type of bat used by coaches for infield and outfield practice.