Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:38pm
Veteran College Umpire

Touche.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I just got done doing a whole fall season of three-man college ball, and my right elbow is all inflamed from all the extra signaling. We signaled on every single possible rotation.

But the one guy who was new to the rest of us and was too cool to answer all the signals, is the one guy who missed a rotation from D, and wasn't at second for a banger that never got called.

So, touché from me, also.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Does this mean we can expect to see you in the SCCUA this spring?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Pet Peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfua-44 View Post
I had a damn scorekeeper in the dugout pop off about "calling it both ways" on a breaking pitch, and that was an automatic in my book.
That is one of my MAJOR pet peeves! Only when it comes from the field or benches. The fans pay their money and get to say (almost) anything they want. But when it comes from any of the participants, it strongly implies that I am calling the situation one way for the other team, but not for theirs. That says "Hey Blue! You are cheating!" A team gets a single warning from me - not in that game - for every game I call for them in the future. Some coaches and players are very surprised when they get an immediate and very stern warning from me when I hear that phrase. I have had coaches tell me that they didn't mean it that way, but now that they thought about it, they actually agreed with me. Some use that phrase like it is a toss-off saying without realizing the implications of what they are saying. Then again, they probably do, but have never been called on it.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm a little late to this party and I don't know if anyone's still interested, but I just looked at the OP and immediately was wondering why R3 was going on the pitch with no outs and second base open, and it wasn't a squeeze. If that's an accurate representation of the situation (perhaps it was R1 and R2 instead?) the coach is an idiot even before he argues.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post
I'm a little late to this party and I don't know if anyone's still interested, but I just looked at the OP and immediately was wondering why R3 was going on the pitch with no outs and second base open, and it wasn't a squeeze. If that's an accurate representation of the situation (perhaps it was R1 and R2 instead?) the coach is an idiot even before he argues.
the thread is accurate and (if you pardon me) who gives a crap why the runners did what they did? We as officials have to deal with EVERYTHING!

Note: This is why you rarely see me post a situation. It was a simple question yet look at the 4 pages of shear crap! Only a few people were able to simply look at the OP and reply and most of them are veterans in umpiring and to this forum.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

Note: This is why you rarely see me post a situation. It was a simple question yet look at the 4 pages of shear crap! Only a few people were able to simply look at the OP and reply and most of them are veterans in umpiring and to this forum.
Ozzy RIGHT ON and unfortunately is why this Forum has taken a turn for the worst.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
the thread is accurate and (if you pardon me) who gives a crap why the runners did what they did? We as officials have to deal with EVERYTHING!

If I may Ozzy, I would like to dissect this post just to get off topic. What defines a few? 4? 5? 10? I've going through the threads and it seemed like more than a few. Shear crap? What defines that? Is it the ones off topic like this one? What about the ones questioning R3's motives? Simple question? The question may have been simple but the situation wasn't. Here we have R3 stealing HP without being forced. Why is that happening? I mean come on. The simple part would be him staying at 3B. Once he took off, it became complex and very complicated. Now, we have to get into the mind of the coach and wonder why. Simple question, maybe. But, far from simple situation.

Just messing with you Ozzy. Time to get back on the field.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post
Maybe it was a late inning, the mgr wanted an insurance run in a close game, and his best ground ball contact hitter is at the plate, and fastest runner is at 1B, and a hit and run is his best idea to trade a run for an out and still have a runner in scoring position at 2B with 1 out. A squeeze would be another way to get the runner in but maybe the batter was a better ground ball hitter than bunter.

Last edited by DG; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 09:31pm.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderheads
Fgfs

....Jesus people ..........

The post is about your partner NOT doing anything when getting 'crap' from a Rat .....

I agree w/ Ozzy here 100%.....

Why disect the situation that was presented when it has absolutely NOTHING to do with subject matter?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheads View Post

The post is about your partner NOT doing anything when getting 'crap' from a Rat .....

Why disect the situation that was presented when it has absolutely NOTHING to do with subject matter?
Because not many games to call in late December (none here) and nothing else to do.

Heck, this is only thread that has had a post since MONDAY....

If you and Ozzy want to bug out you know how to do it. In fact, now that I look back this was your first post so you bugged in to drop this gem.

Last edited by DG; Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 09:23pm.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 11:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheads View Post

Jeff, when popping in from the other forum, you need to enter with a less antagonistic approach!

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

And unless you put a comma after Jesus, you're popping in and calling everybody Jesus people.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

No, he's just targeting the Jesus people.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:32pm

Then I don't feel left out!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25