The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Umpire photo (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55692-umpire-photo.html)

SAump Sun Dec 06, 2009 03:48pm

Umpire photo

Usually when I blink, both eyes open and close at the same time. Perhaps this umpire image has some scientific explanation.

Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Sports

umpjim Sun Dec 06, 2009 08:39pm

It looks like an inside pitch. His nose was in the way of his dominant right eye seeing the pitch in close so he closed it and gave the left eye full pathway to the brain. Not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not. As I write it it's starting to make sense.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:31pm

A blink out of fear of the ball grilling you can flutter a little, and with a shutter speed of 1/1500th of a second or faster, it might have the one eye closing as quickly as a thousandth of a second sooner than the other, and the camera will still freeze it.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Dec 07, 2009 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 640337)
A blink out of fear of the ball grilling you can flutter a little, and with a shutter speed of 1/1500th of a second or faster, it might have the one eye closing as quickly as a thousandth of a second sooner than the other, and the camera will still freeze it.

And it is perfectly normal to blink on pitches coming toward your face. It is not a bad thing, but a natural part of the "fight or flight" mechanism built into our nervous system.

Totally bailing out on these pitches is a whole 'nuther story!:D

TussAgee11 Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 640391)
And it is perfectly normal to blink on pitches coming toward your face. It is not a bad thing, but a natural part of the "fight or flight" mechanism built into our nervous system.

Totally bailing out on these pitches is a whole 'nuther story!:D

If you can learn to stop bailing, you can learn to stop blinking.

zm1283 Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:42pm

As a former catcher, I NEVER bail, but still blink on occasion. It even happens with very good catchers when a pitch is high and inside coming right at my face. I catch myself doing it maybe once a game.

dash_riprock Mon Dec 07, 2009 04:57pm

I find it pretty easy to not blink on pitches that are not swung at. It gets harder when the batter swings, especially if the bat is at eye level. ML catchers blink frequently when the batter swings.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Dec 07, 2009 05:16pm

That's exactly when I blink: bat at eye level swing.

It's probably a leading reason why some checked swings don't get called. I know that it's the reason on a few of mine.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 640442)
That's exactly when I blink: bat at eye level swing.

It's probably a leading reason why some checked swings don't get called. I know that it's the reason on a few of mine.

Yeah, that's usually the case with me. I can track the pitch right up to my mask, but when the batter swings at such a pitch, there sometimes is a blink involved. The human eye blinks naturally every few seconds anyway. I'm way too relaxed back there to consciously think about whether or not I am blinking. I just stay as focused as possible on every pitch.

DG Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:02pm

I'm sure I have done it, but I don't think I have ever seen myself blink on a pitch.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Dec 08, 2009 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 640516)
I'm sure I have done it, but I don't think I have ever seen myself blink on a pitch.

So you've never viewed photos of your calls taken with a zoom lens from straight on set at a really fast shutter speed? How very odd....;)

JJ Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:29am

I think he was winking at the pitcher. ;)

JJ

justanotherblue Tue Dec 08, 2009 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 640625)
I think he was winking at the pitcher. ;)

JJ

Or maybe U2...:eek: