The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Appreciation for umpires from Raymond Chen, a Microsoft programmer (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55613-appreciation-umpires-raymond-chen-microsoft-programmer.html)

MrUmpire Sat Dec 05, 2009 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 639893)
Wow!

That's about as absurd as it gets. You missed the point by 180 degrees, and you're the one saying it!

Why don't you go ask 10 people how insulting it is to make fun of a person's given name? Then you can swallow hard, shove your little winky face and apologize to the guy.

Have a nice day.

Oh my golly, what you won't do to turn an innocent comment into something else. It equals what you'll do to appear to be right...all the freaking time.

You have grown beyond tiresome.

Thank God for the ingore feature. Goodbye, genius.

SAump Sat Dec 05, 2009 07:57pm

What does your name mean?

I didn't notice anyone making fun of his name, his employer or his occupation.

The name Chen is a baby boy name. The name Chen comes from the Chinese origin. In Chinese The meaning of the name Chen is: Great.

Can we get back to the article.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 06, 2009 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 639966)

Up until (and through) your post, I agree.

I see posts from individuals who automatically tend to take posts from others the "wrong" way, based on past history.

I have no idea who Patrick Chen is (well, now I know he's a microsoft programmer), but it seems important to the OP. I just read it as "article on Umpiring from a non-umpire".

Kevin Finnerty Sun Dec 06, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 639966)

The name Chen is a baby boy name. The name Chen comes from the Chinese origin. In Chinese The meaning of the name Chen is: Great.

Can we get back to the article.

He made fun of the poster's given name and he thinks it's okay because he used a little winky icon and because he thinks it's funny. It's not funny, it's classless and as haughty as we have grown to expect from the guy. Not an innocent comment and not a funny one. He should apologize.

RPatrino Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:55am

"Hey Blue, you're nothing but a big lymph node!!!"

Matt Sun Dec 06, 2009 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 639939)
Oh my golly, what you won't do to turn an innocent comment into something else. It equals what you'll do to appear to be right...all the freaking time.

You have grown beyond tiresome.

Thank God for the ingore feature. Goodbye, genius.

You know why you don't like him? Because you two are nearly identical.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 640037)
Up until (and through) your post, I agree.

I see posts from individuals who automatically tend to take posts from others the "wrong" way, based on past history.

I have no idea who Patrick Chen is (well, now I know he's a microsoft programmer), but it seems important to the OP. I just read it as "article on Umpiring from a non-umpire".

First off, SAUmp's post was #2 in the thread. Are you saying that every post after that was making fun of the poster's name?:confused: And it wasn't Raymond Chen who was the butt of Mr. Umpire's (very) little joke, it was the poster of Polish origin, named Patrick.

Here is my take: Kevin Finnerty overreacted to Mr. Umpire's (very) little joke. Mr. Umpire overreacted to Kevin Finnerty taking exception to his (very) little joke. The only fair solution is a do-over! Or the tie goes to the runner (not). :rolleyes: (I'm not going to shove my little sarcastic face and apologize, either!)

bob jenkins Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 640398)
First off, SAUmp's post was #2 in the thread. Are you saying that every post after that was making fun of the poster's name?:confused: And it wasn't Patrick Chen who was the butt of Mr. Umpire's (very) little joke, it was the poster of Polish origin.

Here is my take: Kevin Finnerty overreacted to Mr. Umpire's (very) little joke. Mr. Umpire overreacted to Kevin Finnerty taking exception to his (very) little joke. The only fair solution is a do-over! Or the tie goes to the runner (not). :rolleyes: (I'm not going to shove my little sarcastic face and apologize, either!)

SA's post was #17 in the thread. And, my references were to the several posts that followed that I had to delete.

I agree with your take. The fair solution would be for all sides in that particular battle (and other similar battles) to restrict comments to rules, mechanics and the vlaue (price, quality, service) of various equipment suppliers. It's the holiday season -- I can dream.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 640399)
And, my references were to the several posts that followed that I had to delete.

Oh, I missed out on those! They are usually the most fun. Better than reading about which jock strap to wear at least.

Quote:

It's the holiday season -- I can dream.

Yes, keep on dreaming.

"Don't let anyone steal your dream." - Rich DeVoss and Jay Van Andel, founders of Amway.;)

UmpJM Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:34pm

http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/dreams03.jpg

JM

MrUmpire Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:44pm

Quote:

It's the holiday season -- I can dream.

I'm here to make your dream come true. I had forgotten all about the ignore feature. I've removed the source of my agitation from view. All's good.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 640409)

Dream stealer!

nfua-44 Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 640051)
"Hey Blue, you're nothing but a big lymph node!!!"

Now THAT is Priceless, especially since MOST people know as much about lymph node's as they do about Umpiring..............Thanks Bob, and Mr. Chen of course!

nfua-44 Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 640409)

I stand corrected...........................JM when Mastercard came up with "priceless", this is what they had in mind............good Lord help me I need a new keyboard and Monitor.

Tom

SanDiegoSteve Mon Dec 07, 2009 09:31pm

Stephenie Meyer would disagree about "chasing dreams:"

StephenieMeyer.com | The Official Website of Stephenie Meyer

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/bio.html