The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   New View vs Standard View in Masks (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55376-new-view-vs-standard-view-masks.html)

alex7 Wed Nov 11, 2009 06:35pm

New View vs Standard View in Masks

Now that new views have been around for a bit, I was wondering if there were any thoughts on the thought that the new views won't deflect foul balls very well.

For those of you who have used them (or those of you who have read some good studies on it), is the difference significant enough to override the value of the better view?

Would using the thicker Wilson pads accommodate for the slight drop-off in deflection protection? Thanks!

Kevin Finnerty Wed Nov 11, 2009 06:58pm

Now that new views have been around for a bit, I was wondering if there were any thoughts on the thought that the new views won't deflect foul balls very well.

I have or had both the low-profile and the standard profile in both the chrome-moliben and the titanium. The standard profile definitely deflects better than the low-profile, or New View. I have taken 80-plus direct shots in all of them, and the New View gives a noticeably bigger jolt when that ball just drops at your feet.

For those of you who have used them (or those of you who have read some good studies on it), is the difference significant enough to override the value of the better view?

Both titanium profiles offer better visibility than even the low-profile black-coated chrome-moliben. And to answer your question, no, it is not worth the better view, unless you're doing freshman and under, where you need to see a bigger zone and the potential blows are not severe enough to make a difference.

Would using the thicker Wilson pads accommodate for the slight drop-off in deflection protection?

The pads help dramatically, even on the ones that the New View leaves at your feet. I would never consider going out there with less than a set of leather Wilson wrap-arounds. They're the best.

I asked this low-profile/standard-profile question of Mark Letendre, former Giants trainer and current medical director for MLB umpires. He said that the chance of deflecting the blow rather than taking it is also critical in avoiding neck strain, and not just concussions. (As any boxer will tell you, it's just as important to have your teeth clenched when you take a shot as it is to deflect the blow.)

From my perspective, I kept the New View titanium for a back-up, but I use the standard profile exclusively. I barely notice a difference in the visibility. I just don't want to take any more of a blow than I need to.

RPatrino Wed Nov 11, 2009 07:15pm

I would always err on the side of caution where protection is concerned and sacrifice a little bit of view for a greater amount of protection. Thats just me, though. I personally don't have any issues with view using my Honigs K91.

SAump Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:38pm

Which is more dangerous?

I have had my mask "blown off" several times over the last six years.
I don't remember that happening to a single MLB one time this last season.

Recap,
1 JV ump * 40 games a year / 2 man = 20 plate games
1 MLB ump * 160 games a year / 4 man = 40 plate games
Summary
2 times as many MLB games by 60 times as many umps.

Why haven't I seen it more often, new view or wrap-around pads?

Ump153 Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 635757)
I have had my mask "blown off" several times over the last six years.
I don't remember that happening to a single MLB one time this last season.

Recap,
1 JV ump * 40 games a year / 2 man = 20 plate games
1 MLB ump * 160 games a year / 4 man = 40 plate games
Summary
2 times as many MLB games by 60 times as many umps.

Why haven't I seen it more often, new view or wrap-around pads?

I saw it happen in MLB three times this year. I only saw, perhaps, 25 -30 games this seaon. I don't know what happened in the 2400 or so games.

johnnyg08 Thu Nov 12, 2009 06:56pm

With their vacations your math is pretty close...I think the average MLB umpire works 35 plates a year...that was based on the book As They See 'Em