The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   3-man Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/5535-3-man-mechanics.html)

mpeterson_1 Thu Aug 01, 2002 01:55pm

I have a game tonight as the 3rd base umpire in a 3-man crew. I've never worked a 3-man crew before. What advice can you give someone who's only worked 2-man crews?

Tim C Thu Aug 01, 2002 02:26pm

OK

Pray nothing happens!

kbaerslt Thu Aug 01, 2002 02:42pm

relax, have fun when in doubt go out

FVB_Ryan Thu Aug 01, 2002 04:23pm

look up 3-man mechanics 2 weeks ago?

bob jenkins Thu Aug 01, 2002 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mpeterson_1
I have a game tonight as the 3rd base umpire in a 3-man crew. I've never worked a 3-man crew before. What advice can you give someone who's only worked 2-man crews?
1) With no one one, someone goes out on all fly balls. IF both U1 and U3 go out, or both come in, it's U1's fault.

2) Never go out from the middle

3) If someone goes out, the other umpires revert to two-man.

4) Look to your left (iow, clockwise around the diamond). If you see an open base, run to it, but don't run away from an immediate play.

Those four rules will cover 90% of the plays.

GarthB Thu Aug 01, 2002 07:08pm

To keep it simple

Whenever there is a runner on first,inclduding any combination with runners elsewhere, start in a deep C position. When there is no runner at first start in D.

Then re-read Bob's post and implement Tee's post.

jicecone Thu Aug 01, 2002 07:51pm

Make sure you discuss with the other BU what you both are going to do and communicate often. There are some variations of how the 3-man mechanics work, but just remember, you are the ones that have to work it. Make it simple, communicate often and remember your a team.

Whowefoolin Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:51pm

When runner on first...U3 is alway in the "c" position, U2 on first. Easy enough.

blarson Fri Aug 02, 2002 03:30pm

also on all ground balls ......

No runners, all ground balls to the infield and balls cleanly through the infield that won't be trouble (potential GRD) move from D towards 2nd to cover that play.

Bob

PeteBooth Fri Aug 02, 2002 08:54pm

<i> Originally posted by mpeterson_1 </i>

<b> I have a game tonight as the 3rd base umpire in a 3-man crew. I've never worked a 3-man crew before. What advice can you give someone who's only worked 2-man crews? </b>

If you have a PBUC manual in section 8 page 83 they explain the 3 person mechanics.

Hopefully all of you will be at the game site at least 30 minutes if not more before game time. There are many things that are <b> taught </b> but the most important issue is to make certain each of you knows what's going on.

In an nutshell U3 is going to do most of the running in a 3 person crew. U1 for the most part will stay put unless there is a shot or fly ball hit right down the first base line.

Pete Booth

Boone Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:11pm

all of the above is excellent advice.

I ususally finish my pregame with this: "If you feel like going, stay. If you feel like staying. go" 3-man is a ton of fun but it always seems like you are doing the opposite of what your two-man instincts tell you!

BJ Moose Tue Aug 06, 2002 04:34pm

I'm sure you quit umpiring after your game, but next time just remember...

When in darkness or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

That will cover most of your 3 man scenarios.