Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

how big is the strike zone in width
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by josh0987
The plate is 17" wide. Any part of the ball passing through the strike zone will (should) be a strike.

Many umps give a little extra, especially outside, on the width.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
just curious. is the plate 17" including the black? or no?
If not, and you include the approximate 1" of black on either side in the strike zone, thats 19" then the approximate 3" diameter (what the heck is the diameter of a baseball?) Thats a total of 25" of space that a pitch can be within and still be a strike, if only a fraction of the ball crosses only a fraction of the black. Thats also assuming you call all of that.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Black doesn't count. Not considered part of the plate.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
Wink

Oh. Good thing I don't call it.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Umpire_Jeremy
Black doesn't count. Not considered part of the plate.
I wouldn't want to work a game with YOU on the plate. You must LOVE three hour games.

bob
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

The strike zone width is 21" wide. 17" for the plate, plus about 2" width of the ball if it nix the outside of the plate.

So with that, you have a good catcher that can frame a pitch very good and still his mitt, you probably have a 27" wide strike zone.

Who's going to argue. No one can see but you, the batter, the catcher, and the pitcher. Coach sees a different angle (heighth) and if it is between nipples and knees, who cares about the width! Tell 'em to take that pitch the other way.

Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Geez people, I was simply answering the question in a technical way. Did you even read this question zebra? "just curious. is the plate 17" including the black? or no?"

[Edited by Umpire_Jeremy on Jul 31st, 2002 at 12:09 AM]
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The plate is 17" wide and the black is not part of the plate per the rules .... all of the rules.

Now the strike zone is where ever I call it and I never call less than 1 ball's width around the plate (and I do up to adult level)!

Note: If you ever get a chance to see a plate before it is set into the ground the black is part of the plate.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
The strike zone width is 21" wide. 17" for the plate, plus about 2" width of the ball if it nix the outside of the plate.

IGnoring any "additions" off the plate, and assuming the diameter of the ball is 3" (it's really just a bit less):

Width is 23" if you say "all the ball must go through the strike zone"

Width is 20" if you say "center of the ball must go through the strike zone" (which is a good way to think of it because we tend to see the center of an object moving at relatively high speed)

Width is 17" if you say "any part of the ball must go through the strike zone" (which is what the rules say -- 2.00 STRIKE (b) -- so I think we give the wrong impression if we say the zone is 23" wide)

And, apparently some plates are manufactured so the black is included in the 17" (don't shoot the messenger).

And, apparently theres some rule in some softball code that the black is part of the plate, at least in some circumstances.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Jul 31st, 2002 at 07:29 AM]
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

You can look up OBR rule 1.05 and get the dimenstions of home plate which others have told you, then you can look up the definition of strike zone on OBR rule 2.00 ,however, IMO those are simply reference points meaning

The strike zone is that which is accepted in the leagues we work.

for example, one's strike zone in the "rugrat" divisions of baseball (9/10's) is different than Varsity level HS ball.

If you call the Varsity level strike zone in a 9/10 game you will still be umpiring.

In General Terms, whenever you are getting complainst on your zone:

1. Check with your partner who might be familiar with this league and seek his / her input and

2. Try changing it a bit and see what happens.

I'll give you an example;

two yrs. ago was my FIRST full season umpiring a collegiate wood bat league. During my first few games I received many complaints about the zone. One of the comments I heard was "hey Blue this isn't JV baseball" so I checked with my partners and changed my zone For that SPECIFIC League and it paid off.

Just a NOTE: No League likes a POSTAGE STAMP Zone.

The strike Zone is cause for much debate but over the years the best way I learned to define is: The Zone is that which is accepted for the League in which we umpire in.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good call, Pete. Even without a "home plate", you still have a strike zone to call. While the legal description is "17" . . . and the heighth is pretty much defined . . . different age groups and calibre of play needs to be taken into consideration. Even then . . . I think "strike" as often as possible. It's no fun watching tons of folks walking around the bases; if they know you're calling 'em wide . . . they'll go after 'em.

I believe it was Nestor Shylock, old-time umpire, who once told Casey Stengel (I'm probably all wet and have all the participants incorrect), "Hey, I call 'em from one dugout to the other". He didn't mention anything about black edges, 17" or any other reference.

Jerry
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Umpire_Jeremy
Geez people, I was simply answering the question in a technical way. Did you even read this question zebra? "just curious. is the plate 17" including the black? or no?"

[Edited by Umpire_Jeremy on Jul 31st, 2002 at 12:09 AM]
Jeremy:

My apologies. I misinterpreted your answer. I thought you were referring to where you call the zone.

Bob
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

One last note, the strike zone for the little kiddies (and maybe up to adults too) is what ever gets them swinging.

The strike zone to call is the one with the least resistance!
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

One of my past instructors taught me the following concerning outside pitches:

Go as far out as you can before someone complains.