The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quick pitch?

Not that this is surprising or anything, but McCarver and Buck are morons. Utley was up for Philadelphia just now and had two strikes on him. Sabathia came set and pitched when Utley happened to be in the middle of a warmup "half swing" type thing that hitters do. He ended up doing a half swing type thing and ended up hitting a pop up on the infield. Buck and McCarver start harping about how he got away with this bad quick pitch. Am I way off here? Utley not being ready to swing isn't a quick pitch as far as I know.

Also, was there some play with Howard not touching home plate? I didn't start watching until the 5th inning so I don't know what happened.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Buck and McCarver missed the call on the play as they do most of every baseball broadcast. I don't think Sabathia quick pitched Utley at all. As for Howard, not any part of him touched the plate.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

he missed it, PU didn't signal anything, then apparently signaled safe after Posada threw down to 2B...should've stuck w/ his original instinct...I guess the neighborhood play is still in effect at home plate. :-)
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I finally saw a replay of the Howard play at home. He's not out until the Yankees appeal or tag him, right? I know if the runner misses home you don't signal anything, so Everitt shouldn't have ever signaled safe at any point, correct?
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well I'd always been taught that you wait until something 'else' happens...i.e. the play at the other base, then signal 'safe', merely indicating at this point that the runner has not been retired. But the runner would still be liable to be put out via proper appeal (if he doesn't return to touch, of course).
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 07:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I finally saw a replay of the Howard play at home. He's not out until the Yankees appeal or tag him, right? I know if the runner misses home you don't signal anything, so Everitt shouldn't have ever signaled safe at any point, correct?
Could you have seen the screaming, calling for replay, and Monday morning quarterbacking if Posada would have tagged him after the fact? The ump originally didn't signal. The slow moe instant replays? Oh brother, that woulda been brutal!
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

They have been using that "quick pitch" crap the whole series. They said Petit was "quick pitching". When actually he takes a nap between pitches.

My wife actually stated last night, "don't these two ever shut-up"?
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

My son got home in time to watch last night's game. He sat down and said, "I listened to last night's game on radio. Do you know that Joe Morgan's actually worse audio only? He's even worse than this guy when you don't have the game to distract you."
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
My son got home in time to watch last night's game. He sat down and said, "I listened to last night's game on radio. Do you know that Joe Morgan's actually worse audio only? He's even worse than this guy when you don't have the game to distract you."
Morgan said last night that it was "Bull" that the umpire warned both benches when Axelrod got nailed for the 3rd time in the series, and that it was penalizing the Yankees for no reason.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Why did it take a huddle and a pow-wow to figure out if a warning should be issued? Somebody needs to grow a set and stand up.

I personally don't think he got hit on purpose, but 3 times in 2 games desteves a warning. It should have been given right away.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 10:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
I personally don't think he got hit on purpose.....
Oh, I don't know about this.

These pitchers have been pretty good at niblling at corners inside and out and just missing or hitting the strike zone....and then when A-Rod comes up they just happen to miss by a good six inches or a foot and plunk him three times? Hmm?

Some of these guys are going to be wearing a lot of kevlar in a few years - as the protection on their arms and elbows is certainly growing more and more already.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
1st base open, one out, slow hitter in the on deck circle, 3rd time in 2 games, key to pitching A-rod is making him respect the inside fastball... how anyone thinks its not intentional is beyond me.

And all this crap about how it takes away from the opposing pitcher is BS. That guy can still pitch inside. If he hits somebody, he's fine. Umpires are not idiots, they wouldn't toss him unless it was intentional. Open base, pitcher spot up next, throwing behind a head, etc. Furthermore, the warning assures the Yankee hitters that they won't be getting nailed all game, and can relax up there. Lastly, the warning kills the situation right then and there, so if CC had any thought about getting even, the decision not to do it was already made for him, allowing him to worry about his pitching.

Good job by crew on that I thought. Players and coaches were on board with that warning. Only the media wanted to make a big deal out of it.

Chances Burnett gives Utley a little love tonight?
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it was on purpose. And, I don't think a warning would have come if ARod would have just gone to his base instead of looking into his dugout. As if to say, CC you better return the favor. His actions alone brought on the warning, not the pitch hitting him. Notice when Lidge hit Texierra and he just went to 1B. Nothing came from it.

Even the pros have them get away from them. Especially, if they are trying to be so fine of where to put it and not try to make a mistake. Also, I doubt Blanton wanted to come so close to even getting to ARod's head. It hit pretty high on the arm/ribs after ARod stood straight up.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

The way A-Roid's been turning on stuff inside and driving it out of sight in this postseason. In order to jam him, you need to miss well off the plate. The others may have had a touch of intent, but Blanton's appeared to be an attempt to get in off the plate and it tailed too much on him. He wasn't in command at all in the first inning, so it could have been a case of it getting away from him.

Plus, you don't see a lot of guys purposely putting a guy on first in the first inning of a huge game for any reason. It doesn't make a bit of sense from a baseball standpoint.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post

Plus, you don't see a lot of guys purposely putting a guy on first in the first inning of a huge game for any reason. It doesn't make a bit of sense from a baseball standpoint.
1 out, first base open, slow runner on deck. The HBP was a de facto unintentional intentional walk IMO.