The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   McCarver just said--- (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55149-mccarver-just-said.html)

jwwashburn Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:05pm

McCarver just said---

Nano-inch

In the words of Hank Hill: “Just kill me now.”

griff901c Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:14pm

or how about.." fitting how Rivera bows before every delivery"..

SanDiegoSteve Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 632810)
or how about.." fitting how Rivera bows before every delivery"..

Yeah, I was wondering what he meant by that too. He's not really bowing, he's just bending over into the stretch. Color me puzzled:confused::confused::confused:

jwwashburn Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:49pm

What?

We need Hank to be able to get through the World Series.

kylejt Mon Oct 26, 2009 09:15am

I'm sure Mr. McCarver is a nice fellow, and lots of kids consider him a wonderful grandfather. But his baseball announcing is painfully stupid. Here's a trick: If you have Surround Sound, or something similar, turn down your center speaker. That's where most of the commetary comes through.

Another bonus is you'll hear the roll call from Section 203 in Yankee Stadium much clearer. Listen carefully just after the first pitch, as Bald Vinny yells "YO! Johnny!", and they go around the diamond. If you haven't been to either Yankee Stadiums, and experienced that section, you're missing a baseball treat.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Oct 26, 2009 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 632843)
I'm sure Mr. McCarver is a nice fellow, and lots of kids consider him a wonderful grandfather. But his baseball announcing is painfully stupid.

Tim McCarver is not a nice fellow. He's not as arrogant, discourteous, greedy and unprofessional as Joe Morgan, but he's in the same ballpark.

All that geniality and affability you see on camera from those two is all you'll ever get.

jwwashburn Mon Oct 26, 2009 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 632845)
Tim McCarver is not a nice fellow. He's not as arrogant, discourteous, greedy and unprofessional as Joe Morgan, but he's in the same ballpark.

All that geniality and affability you see on camera from those two is all you'll ever get.

Greedy? Huh?

You mean he likes to get paid as much as possible for his work?

jicecone Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 632846)
Greedy? Huh?

Yea, another one of the blabbering talking heads, like Buck, Morgan, Limbaugh, Beck, etc,etc. The sad part about it, their are a lot of gullible people that really believe they know what their talking about.

Oh, I apologize, its called entertainment. Now I get it.

Paul L Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16am

Joe Morgan is congenial, polite, generous, and professional. He is intelligent, a good listener, and articulate. Plus he's a great announcer for the average fan.

If McCarver is in the same ballpark, I'd like to have him over for a beer.

dash_riprock Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19am

If you are going to include Limbaugh and Beck with blowhard baseball announcers, then don't forget Begala, Carville and Olbermann.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 632846)
Greedy? Huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 632851)
Joe Morgan is congenial, polite, generous, and professional. He is intelligent, a good listener, and articulate. Plus he's a great announcer for the average fan.

If McCarver is in the same ballpark, I'd like to have him over for a beer.

This is generally the way people think about him who don't have to encounter him or be around him in a professional setting. But even those who judge him solely by his on-air personality and performance seldom make the descriptions you just made about him.

And I am speaking solely about how Joe Morgan treats other people and not just me.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 632852)
If you are going to include Limbaugh and Beck with blowhard baseball announcers, then don't forget Begala, Carville and Olbermann.

Now, why did you have to insert politics? You knew you would get a response. Some of us can't help ourselves.:D

dash_riprock Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 632860)
Now, why did you have to insert politics? You knew you would get a response. Some of us can't help ourselves.:D

You missed my point, which is the same as yours - leave the politics out of it.

GA Umpire Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:12am

Have to just face facts.

For those who actually know the game, the commentary is horrible. Especially, when they try to comment on umpiring. They overlook so much just to attempt to nail someone for another issue. They have done it to the umpires(although, some were pretty bad) and they do it to the managers/players(more the managers b/c they think they know more about the teams than the managers).

I generally don't listen to what the commentators say or at least, I don't try to remember it at all.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 632864)
You missed my point, which is the same as yours - leave the politics out of it.

Whew!

Amen, Dash