The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Jerry Layne (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55088-jerry-layne.html)

SanDiegoSteve Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:14pm

Jerry Layne

Jerry Layne began tonight's game working the box and seemed to have trouble seeing the low strike. He then changed to his normal scissors stance, moved a bit more into the slot, and was getting those borderline low calls right. Just an observation.

Of course, McCarver attributed it to the catcher getting lower for him, but we know that's not the case.

Good call just now at the plate.

tjones1 Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:28pm

Another good call at the dish.

By the way, does anyone else wish he would have stuck the end of his belt back through his first belt loop... or is that just annoying me? lol

Rich Ives Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 631912)
Jerry Layne began tonight's game working the box and seemed to have trouble seeing the low strike. He then changed to his normal scissors stance, moved a bit more into the slot, and was getting those borderline low calls right. Just an observation.

Of course, McCarver attributed it to the catcher getting lower for him, but we know that's not the case.

Did you hear the conversation between Layne and Scoiscia? Layne said he was getting blocked out. Then Napoli started setting up lower.

Umps 0-2 on Swisher though. Should have been out on the pick. Did not leave early.

tjones1 Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:56pm

Oh boy... not sure how Tim missed that one...

Rich Ives Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:56pm

What's going on tonight? McClelland just blew a DP call at 3B.

grunewar Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 631919)
What's going on tonight? McClelland just blew a DP call at 3B.

Several bizarre plays/calls tonight. Wow!

midtnblu Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:03pm

McClelland's feet stuck in concrete

He blew that one because he was lazy-got blocked by Posada and couldn't see that Cano's foot was not on the bag. I'm not sure he ever moved from the TOP. Inexcusable.

That's worse than Cuzzi's call the other night. At least he was hustling and in position.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 631915)
Did you hear the conversation between Layne and Scoiscia? Layne said he was getting blocked out. Then Napoli started setting up lower.

No, I missed that. I just heard them talking about Napoli down on one knee to give him a better look. But he also switched back to his more comfortable, familiar scissors, which despite its detractors gives an excellent view of the strike zone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 631915)
Umps 0-2 on Swisher though. Should have been out on the pick. Did not leave early.

Well, at least Swisher was finally called out a base too late, but better late then never. Two horrible calls by McClelland and one by Dale Scott.

JJ Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:26pm

Jerry Layne is just plain good.

JJ

SanDiegoSteve Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 631947)
Jerry Layne is just plain good.

JJ

And his stance, mechanics and body style are very close to my own!:p

JJ Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 631948)
And his stance, mechanics and body style are very close to my own!:p

As for me, I'm just plain. Good. :D

JJ

Umpmazza Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 631912)

Steve is that even a scissor stance, looks more like a sideways stance.. i wonder if he hurt something.

Umpmazza Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by midtnblu (Post 631926)
He blew that one because he was lazy-got blocked by Posada and couldn't see that Cano's foot was not on the bag. I'm not sure he ever moved from the TOP. Inexcusable.

That's worse than Cuzzi's call the other night. At least he was hustling and in position.

if you look at the replay he was moving into position... and for steve sake his out call was not his normal call, he actually put something into it...

still missed the call tough. Im not sure that was a worse call than Cuzzi's

SanDiegoSteve Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:36pm

Could be. It looks like a relaxed scissors stance to me. I don't see many umpires do that old-style crane the neck, arch the back uncomfortable looking version that was popular in the 70s and 80s. A nice relaxed stance like Hunter W. or Bruce F. use.

midtnblu Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:48pm

Now he working right over F2's head...

Looks like he's right on the point in some sort of a crouch/scissors/boxy slouch. Especially with a LH batter.

And is it me or is he getting set really late, almost still moving down as the pitch comes into the zone?

Oh well, he's the pro and here we are.

johnSandlin Wed Oct 21, 2009 02:06pm

Gave Layne credit though last night......He basically told Scossia to tell his catcher to help Layne out so Layne could see pitches better or this is what you will get.

As for Layne being just plain good, I 100% agree with that opinion and statement.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 21, 2009 02:27pm

Layne was one of our instructors at the MLB camp two years ago, and he's one of the best at that, too.

I thought both of his plays at the plate were great calls, and his adjusting to get a better look showed dedication and interest.