The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Hallion (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55073-hallion.html)

JJ Mon Oct 19, 2009 08:23pm

Hallion

OUCH! Hallion got drilled. He'll have fun on the dish in the next game with that sore ankle.
That begs a question - if an umpire goes down in that 6-man crew, do they go with 5 or do they have an alternate on hand?

JJ

BigTex Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 631736)
OUCH! Hallion got drilled. He'll have fun on the dish in the next game with that sore ankle.
That begs a question - if an umpire goes down in that 6-man crew, do they go with 5 or do they have an alternate on hand?

JJ

The next time Hallion works the plate will be spring training.

johnSandlin Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:10pm

They either have someone already assigned as an alternate to step right in or they finish the game (where the umpire was hurt) with 5 and then fly someone that is close in for the next game (i.e Hernandez for Cousins in the 08 ALCS)

Ump Rube Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:43pm

If you do go down to 5, does the line ump go down any specific line or the one that has the largest chance for fan int. or the harder boundary call?

tjones1 Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 631751)
If you do go down to 5, does the line ump go down any specific line or the one that has the largest chance for fan int. or the harder boundary call?

Those would certainly be some of the factors; however, it's up to the crew chief where to place the umpire.

tjones1 Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 631740)
The next time Hallion works the plate will be spring training.

Are you sure? I believe he's slated to work Game 5 of the NLCS behind the dish.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04pm

Yes, seeing as how he is working first base tonight, he will work the plate in Wednesday's game.

BigTex Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 631756)
Are you sure? I believe he's slated to work Game 5 of the NLCS behind the dish.

My bad. I was not watching the game and assumed he got hit on the ankle while working the plate.

JJ Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 631752)
Those would certainly be some of the factors; however, it's up to the crew chief where to place the umpire.

"You got the centerfield foul pole!" :p

JJ

mrm21711 Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 631752)

Happened in last year's ALCS Game 6 when Derryl Cousins was injured by a foul ball. McClelland moved from 1B to take the plate and they worked with a 5 man crew (I believe the RF line was left unmanned). Angel Hernandez joined the crew for Game 7.

LeeBallanfant Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 631802)
"You got the centerfield foul pole!" :p

JJ

Believe it or not this has happened in MLB. Back in 1961 I think, the NL called up a couple of umps from the minors in preparation for next years expansion. So there were a couple of 5 men crews. Al Barlick, the crew chief, used to station the 5th man in CF in Wrigley Field to help on fan interference. This was before they put up the fencing that now prevents fans from leaning over.

DG Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 631916)
Believe it or not this has happened in MLB. Back in 1961 I think, the NL called up a couple of umps from the minors in preparation for next years expansion. So there were a couple of 5 men crews. Al Barlick, the crew chief, used to station the 5th man in CF in Wrigley Field to help on fan interference. This was before they put up the fencing that now prevents fans from leaning over.

Now that's a job I want, working CF in Wrigley to help with fan interference, if it pays ML pay that is.