The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   COL-PHL Hand to mouth to ball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54952-col-phl-hand-mouth-ball.html)

umpjim Thu Oct 08, 2009 09:37pm

COL-PHL Hand to mouth to ball

I would not call this in the B9 when it doesn't look like any advantage was gained (ball was dry by the time of pitch) but Huston Street twice that I saw went to his mouth and directly to the ball, rubbing it up at that point, and then pitched without anybody complaining. Am I using the same philosophy as the MLB guys?

umpjim Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32pm

I'm sorry. I'm doing a lot of assuming. The game is the second game of the series at PHL vs COL in the bottom of the ninth tonite,Thursday, 10/08/09. If you watched it, did you see Huston Street go to his mouth with his hand and then directly to the ball when he was pitching in that inning? If you saw it, how would you handle it?

umpjim Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35pm

Oh sht, I was hooked by a troll!

JJ Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 629747)
I would not call this in the B9 when it doesn't look like any advantage was gained (ball was dry by the time of pitch) but Huston Street twice that I saw went to his mouth and directly to the ball, rubbing it up at that point, and then pitched without anybody complaining. Am I using the same philosophy as the MLB guys?

I wasn't watching, but if he was off the dirt there was no violation...
If he was on the dirt I'm a bit surprised the umpires didn't ding him or the defense didn't complain...

JJ

johnnyg08 Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:08am

I saw Jeff Nelson ding a guy in a regular season game a few years ago...I wasn't watching this one, but I doubt they'd miss it...what's the weather like out in Phili right now...maybe they agreed on something in the pregame?

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629812)
No need for us to have to sort through posts of no relevant value. ;)

Oh, like the 30 that you have made (so far tonight, that is). You're right! No need for that!:rolleyes:

JJ Fri Oct 09, 2009 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629812)
Thanks for admitting so. No need for us to have to sort through posts of no relevant value. ;)

Hmmm...I thought it relevant in that it pointed out there was no violation if the pitcher was not on the dirt, which the OP didn't mention.
Thanks for your "relevant" post as well....:rolleyes:

JJ

BigUmp56 Fri Oct 09, 2009 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629778)
I did not see the game but any rule regarding this situation should be enforced.

Which rule "should" have been enforced?

Tim.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 629853)
Which rule "should" have been enforced?

Tim.

That depends on what your definition of which is.

BigUmp56 Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629861)
To which situation are you referring? :confused:

You know, "this situation" as defined by you, WJR-DJH

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629922)
I'm sorry I do not. BB-FJC

You are making me long for Tyler's return!

BigUmp56 Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629922)
I'm sorry I do not. BB-FJC

Thank you for admitting you had no idea which rule to apply or when to apply it. I suspected as much..........

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 09, 2009 09:15pm

Wow, what a bad call by Phil Cuzzi on the fair ball down the line! Talk about your gross misses.