The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Glad I Was Not There (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54894-glad-i-not-there.html)

Welpe Mon Oct 05, 2009 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 629021)
here is that story... the Umpire did mess up the rule... but its all good..

YouTube - Softball teammates carry opponent around the base

That isn't the case greymule was referring to. Greymule, yes something like that did happen last season. Essentially, a coach (who knew the actual rule) argued that the player should be called out for the high five and the umpires did call her out (instead of issuing the appropriate warning).

bob jenkins Mon Oct 05, 2009 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 629025)
That isn't the case greymule was referring to. Greymule, yes something like that did happen last season. Essentially, a coach (who knew the actual rule) argued that the player should be called out for the high five and the umpires did call her out (instead of issuing the appropriate warning).

Wrong.

The coach had the rule wrong and convinced the umpire to rule in her favor. The coach of the offense did not know enough to have the rule correctly applied.

All erred. The runner should not have been called out.

Welpe Mon Oct 05, 2009 03:59pm

I wrote that poorly. I did not intend to say that the coach knew the rule and had the umpires apply it correctly, which I now see is how I wrote my original post.

The coach argued the runner should've been called out (which is incorrect) and the umpires did call the runner out (incorrectly). The coach did admit she knew that wasn't correct but she argued it anyways.

DG Mon Oct 05, 2009 06:55pm

Then there was the umpire in NC who tossed a number of players, resulting in forfeit, for coming out of the dugout after a HR to congratulate the teammate, without helmets on, after game winning HR. I don't remember the exact details but believe it was two rival teams and the underdog would have won, but the ruling was overturned and they were forced to play again with underdog losing big.

archangel Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 629006)
2. Continue to disagree in a manner that is not offensive, but eventually get ejected, and in some states loses multiple games to a suspension, pay a 3 figure fine, and take a mandated on-line coaching course or be suspended by the state organization. Meanwhile umpire X gets off more or less scott free, though if the state association or an assigner hears about this something might get done.

My point: I have a hard time with states fining coaches for getting ejected unless the behavior is such that they are a definite bad example of bad sportsmanship. If I was coach X, and knew this was an incorrect call, then I would probably push the discussion far enough I would get ejected.

What is the solution for the manager, who has a lot riding on this game?

Seems to me that all coaches who complain ARE SURE that they are correct and the umpire is wrong(minus the 1/10 of 1% who want to get tossed to motivate the team).
How does "pushing the discussion far enough I would get ejected" in any way help you convince the umpire to change his call? Thats just self serving to make yourself feel better.

Bad behavior is bad behavior and should be punished, whether its the 7th of a championship game or the 1st season game of a team that has no chance of even going .500(though Id give the championship game coach a LITTLE more rope, depending).

True, umpire mistakes happen, but rarely, if ever, do they make the only difference in a win/loss.
Did every batter go 3 for 4? No errors?, F1 didnt have a BB or HBP? Coach didnt send a runner who was thrown out? "But wait, that Blue, who we dont know, made a mistake, so the loss is his fault!!"--classic coachspeak.

The umpire in the OP was very wrong, but to answer the Q "what does a coach do when he he has alot riding on the game?"-- Realize that you cant control everything, and remember that 10 yrs from now- those players wont remember that game so much as they will recall your actions as an adult- to laugh at, or emulate as a good example...

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 09, 2009 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629969)

Same can be said of lousy umpires whether they be on this forum or actually, truly umpiring.

The umpires on this forum, with the possible exception of YOU, actually do umpire real baseball games.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Oct 09, 2009 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highest Quality (Post 629969)
Playing without winning being the goal is a cop-out, it is an excuse for failure that many managers and players buy into.

Same can be said of lousy umpires whether they be on this forum or actually, truly umpiring. ...

Posing as an umpire on an online umpiring forum to try to impress actual umpires with what a bad@ss you are.

Where does that stand on the top-ten-signs-you're-a-loser list?