The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Starting Back (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54559-starting-back.html)

SanDiegoSteve Sat Sep 05, 2009 09:50pm

Starting Back

I start back umpiring after a 3 year layoff due to health reasons this coming weekend. I will be working the SDABL adult league, which is a well organized, competitive league that features many divisions based on age and ability. The league features former MLB and MiLB, as well as many former D-1 players. They have very strict rules about player and manager behavior. I will be working double headers on Saturdays and Sundays at local high school fields. I am very excited! My new assignor is a very good guy who is impressed with my experience and dedication to the game, and will be keeping me busy. I can't wait to get back on the field with my new gear and trimmed down body!

Just thought I would share my excitement!

RPatrino Sat Sep 05, 2009 09:59pm

Good Luck Steve!!! Enjoy yourself and have some fun.

griff901c Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:07pm

Atta boy.....go get em...

Kevin Finnerty Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35pm

That is great news and I wish you all the luck in the world. Great story!

ozzy6900 Sun Sep 06, 2009 02:52pm

Heh, heh! Go get 'em, Steve!

tjones1 Sun Sep 06, 2009 03:38pm

Welcome back, Steve. Best of luck and have fun!!

UmpJM Sun Sep 06, 2009 03:44pm

Steve,

Have fun.

Don't suck.

Se ya' in 7 (or 9, as the case may be).

JM

SanDiegoSteve Sun Sep 06, 2009 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 624134)
Se ya' in 7 (or 9, as the case may be).

9 for first game. 7 for second game if it's the same visiting team. 9 innings for both if different visiting teams.

Thanks to all the well-wishers. I'll try not to suck. Too much.;)

BigUmp56 Sun Sep 06, 2009 08:06pm

I'll repeat what John said, Steve. Don't suck. Well, not a lot anyway!

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Sep 06, 2009 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 624157)
I'll repeat what John said, Steve. Don't suck. Well, not a lot anyway!

Tim.

Thanks Tim, I knew I could count on your support!:rolleyes::)

jicecone Mon Sep 07, 2009 08:33am

Good Luck Steve,

I was out for a couple of years myself and returned this year only to be sidelined again by knee surgery. Looking forward to January.

Again , Good Luck

jwwashburn Mon Sep 07, 2009 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 624180)
Thanks Tim, I knew I could count on your support!:rolleyes::)

Good luck Steve!

Kevin Finnerty Mon Sep 07, 2009 03:29pm

Steve, just try to remember this:

If you think you just sucked, but you're so good at umpiring that no one really noticed, then did you actually suck? The answer is no.

Rcichon Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:11am

Countdown begins....

the rule is:
2 game spread, count how many games until Steve's first ej.

I'm taking the 6 th and/or 7th game.
;)

mick Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:20pm

Attaboy, Steve !!

SanDiegoSteve Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcichon (Post 624583)
the rule is:
2 game spread, count how many games until Steve's first ej.

I'm taking the 6 th and/or 7th game.
;)

I really do hope I can hold out that long!:) I'll be sure to let everyone know when it happens!

SanDiegoSteve Sat Sep 12, 2009 01:14am

Here I go! Saturday is here...Two games at Alliant University, 11:45 and 3:15, both scheduled for 9. I'm so excited, headed for bed now to rest up! I have the plate first, just to get it out of the way. I'll let you know how it went when I get home.

SethPDX Sat Sep 12, 2009 01:16am

Don't suck, Steve!

And get 'em early and often. :D

Chris_Hickman Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:05pm

tried to send u a PM Steve.....You need to clear out some of your PM's

Kevin Finnerty Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:18pm

The post-game must still be going on!

SanDiegoSteve Sun Sep 13, 2009 01:01am

Okay, I'm back.

Whoever had the 5th inning of the first game for my first ejection in the pool is a winner!

I had the plate and the pitcher threw a fastball on the inside corner, which I called strike two. The batter said, "No way, that was inside!" and proceded to draw a nice, pretty, straight line in the dirt with his bat at least a foot inside. Bye now, thanks for playing.

It wasn't until the 2nd inning that I took a shot between the collar bone and shoulder. Felt it, but it didn't hurt. Love my new All-Star CPU30! The catcher called for an outside fastball, but got an inside one instead, and didn't draw leather on it.

Oh, and the player that got run for drawing the line...that catcher. Instant Karma's gonna get you! :D

I had a relly good zone today, maybe missed three pitches total (which does not include ejection pitch, which I stone cold nailed.)

My legs felt like rubber around the 7th inning and then still sore before the 2nd game, but as soon as I ran out to position A after the ground rules, I got my legs back and had a very good game on the bases. I had a banger Safe call at 2nd on a steal and two banger out calls at 1st base. Nailed all three.

I forgot just how much adult league players and coaches whine and beg for calls, and combine that with a lack of knowledge of the basic rules. One team in the second game botched an uncaught 3rd strike with R1 and R2 and 2 outs. They thought the runner couldn't run because 1st base was occupied. The batter ran, they ignored him at first because F4 (who was also the manager) yelled to the catcher that 1st base was occupied and he didn't need to throw. The runners all ran and the catcher realized that he needed to throw the ball and overshot F3, and R2 came all the way around and scored. The manager then tried to argue that 1st base was occupied, and I said that that rule only applies with less than 2 out and with two out they needed a putout. Then the light bulb went off and he remembered that little part of the rule finally.

Anyway, I made it through the day. Both games went 3 hours plus, the second one ending in a 18-3 12-run rule final after 7 innings. Pretty brutal! Hopefully tomorrow's two at Madison High will be better games (Please!!!!):)

greymule Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:56am

Glad to hear you're back on the field, Steve.

How was your strike zone in your first game back: liberal or conservative?

BigUmp56 Sun Sep 13, 2009 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule (Post 625058)

Knowing Steve as well as I do, I'm sure it's safe to say that his strike zone was the only liberal part of him on the field today!

Glad you're back at it, buddy!

Tim.

Ump153 Sun Sep 13, 2009 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 625051)
Okay, I'm back.

I had a relly good zone today, maybe missed three pitches total

You're ready for the big time. The average MLB umpire misses, at the last report I saw, 5 or 6 pitches.

BigUmp56 Sun Sep 13, 2009 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 625073)
You're ready for the big time. The average MLB umpire misses, at the last report I saw, 5 or 6 pitches.

Their strike zone is a little smaller, which would suggest it's easier to miss a pitch?

Tim.

greymule Sun Sep 13, 2009 03:19pm

If a waist-high pitch a quarter inch outside is a miss, I've made many misses.

briancurtin Sun Sep 13, 2009 03:45pm

Two three hour games? I'd be on the bases holding up this sign...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1337008_n.jpg

SanDiegoSteve Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule (Post 625058)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 625069)
Knowing Steve as well as I do, I'm sure it's safe to say that his strike zone was the only liberal part of him on the field today!

Glad you're back at it, buddy!

Tim.

Tim knows that I'm a big-time liberal with my strike zone. Unfotunately many of the pitches in the strike zone went flying toward the outfield fence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 625073)

I missed about 3 pitches from my established strike zone. I usually miss no more than 3 to 4 pitches a game in HS varsity, which I did on a full-time basis from 1987 to 2006. If that means I ready for the big time, I would say I'm way overdue.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 625078)
Two three hour games? I'd be on the bases holding up this sign...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1337008_n.jpg

Yes, I needed such a sign. Today as well. Bases first game, 3:04. Plate the second game, 3:12. First game was Rookie League and went the full 9 with errors 'o plenty. Game two, a 38+ AA league, was a better played game that ran out of pitching for the team that lost 18-6 in 8 with the 12-run rule.

The length of these games average anywhere from 2:40 to the 3:15 time limit to start a new inning. They much more closely resemble a typical American League slugfest than a National League pitcher's dual. I can't wait to get a really good game.

Emperor Ump Wed Sep 16, 2009 01:56pm

Welcome back Steve.

The real question is has this cured the itch (to umpire that is) or made it worse?

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 625770)
Welcome back Steve.

The real question is has this cured the itch (to umpire that is) or made it worse?

Every time I even begin to wonder if I should really be out there, I picture being home all weekend instead, and the doubt shoots out of my mind like it's rocket-propelled.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 625770)
Welcome back Steve.

I'm ready for the next four this weekend. Should be less recovery time this week!;)

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:45pm

I heavily recommend a good, hot foot bath with Dr. Bronner's famed peppermint soap. AWESOME!

http://www.drbronner.com/store/graph...s/OLPE32EA.jpg

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:48pm

I also strongly recommend a good head bath with any of Anchor Steam's fine line of products:

http://thefullpint.com/main/wp-conte...eam-lineup.jpg

justanotherblue Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22pm

Congrats on the comeback Steve. I'm going to attempt to jump back in the saddle myself next weekend. I've been off for the last year because of my back. Not sure if I can make nine, I'll find out soon.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Sep 17, 2009 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue (Post 625932)
Congrats on the comeback Steve. I'm going to attempt to jump back in the saddle myself next weekend. I've been off for the last year because of my back. Not sure if I can make nine, I'll find out soon.

Just be ready for some sore muscles! Welcome back!!

SanDiegoSteve Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:10am

Well, another weekend with four 9-inning adult games, each going 3 hours +. I'm not sore this time, so that's a good sign. Both days were brutally hot and I hit the Powerade and Gatorade heavy to rehydrate often.

If these players were half as good as they think they are they would be twice as good as they really are.

RPatrino Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51am

How hot is it there, Steve? Up in the high 90's up here!! When I know I'm working in the heat I hydrate all day prior to the game, and of course during the game!! And naturally, I enjoy a cold one or two after the game...

SanDiegoSteve Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:00pm

High 80's on the coast, mid to upper 90's inland, where my games were. But it's the high humidity that really sucks.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:35pm

Very effective tool: Saturate your wicking compression undershirt in cool water before you put it on. It cools you for almost an hour, and doesn't really feel very wet. Even pouring a few capfuls of ice water down your chest and back during a game helps to refresh the effect.

Also, this is the age-old cooling remedy:

http://www.americarx.com/Admin/ARXPR...irit/65474.jpg

Shop online Aromatic Ammonia Spirit By Cumberland Swan - 2 Oz at AmericaRx.com

You just pour a bottle of this stuff in a tub of ice water and soak towels and handkerchiefs in it. Dab off with these towels and/or line your cap with a handkerchief. (When you see an MLB trainer come out with a wet towel to assist the umpire, quite often it's a towel dipped in an ammonia water solution.)

Emperor Ump Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42pm

Works like a charm

RPatrino Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:52pm

Doesn't it smell funny?

Kevin Finnerty Mon Sep 21, 2009 01:17pm

One or two ounces in a gallon of water with some cubes. It doesn't smell good, but it isn't that objectionable.

I read about it in a biography of Babe Ruth, who was one of the ones who pioneered the practice in baseball. The Babe used ammonia water dipped frozen lettuce leaves in his cap.

RPatrino Mon Sep 21, 2009 04:42pm

I remember seeing Tony Pena putting cabbage leaves on his head once. I believe he was with the Cardinals at the time.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Sep 21, 2009 05:19pm

See ... I didn't make it up!

Tony Pena did it!

tballump Mon Sep 21, 2009 07:40pm

Believe that use to be a trick of Aussie tennis players also.

DG Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:13pm

Known about spirits since I was a child playing ball. Surprised at how many teams/coaches these days that don't.

Can get it at most any drug store if you ask for it. I have never used as much as 2 oz though, usually a teaspoon in small 6 pack cooler with slushy ice mix and and a small towel is plenty. Of course if I was mixing for an entire team 2oz to gallon or two of slushy sounds pretty good.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 626569)
Known about spirits since I was a child playing ball. Surprised at how many teams/coaches these days that don't.

Can get it at most any drug store if you ask for it. I have never used as much as 2 oz though, usually a teaspoon in small 6 pack cooler with slushy ice mix and and a small towel is plenty. Of course if I was mixing for an entire team 2oz to gallon or two of slushy sounds pretty good.

Exactly!

I was referring to a big cooler with a gallon or more with some cubes.

Emperor Ump Tue Sep 22, 2009 01:23pm

Last year I wrote an article (if interested you can read it here)for my site which included info about ammonia water. I too was surprised about how many people were not familiar with it.

One important thing to remember is that we are talking about Spirits of Ammonia, NOT household ammonia.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Sep 22, 2009 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 626646)
One important thing to remember is that we are talking about Spirits of Ammonia, NOT household ammonia.

Thanks, I guess I should say that every time.

I guess the way to write it is, SPIRITS of Ammonia.

JJ Tue Sep 22, 2009 09:39pm

When I work the bases in high heat and humidity, between innings I have the trainer bring me a half a cup of crushed ice. I take off my hat, dump the ice in the hat, put the hat back on, and it keeps me cool for a good two innings. As the ice melts the water runs down the back of my neck which helps the cooling process. Nobody notices since it just looks like I'm sweating - which I am anyway! Try it -

JJ

Patent pending :D

NFump Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 626539)
I remember seeing Tony Pena putting cabbage leaves on his head once. I believe he was with the Cardinals at the time.

Wasn't there a Korean pitcher that did this in a MLB game?

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25am

World Classic, I believe.

Here he is:

http://www.hindu.com/yw/2005/07/01/i...0102810301.jpg

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29am

:D

Check out this story:

Korea bans baseball cabbage pitch

South Korea's baseball authorities have banned a star pitcher from wearing frozen cabbage leaves in his cap to keep cool during games.
The Korean Baseball Association met in special session after cabbage leaves twice fell from Park Myung-Hwan's cap live on television.

After two hours, the committee ruled that cabbage was a "foreign substance" and therefore banned from the field.

Players may now only wear cabbage by presenting a doctor's note in advance.

Mr Park, who plays for Doosan, is currently ranked as the second-best pitcher in the eight-team South Korean baseball league.

[I love this next part]

He began keeping cabbage leaves in his cap last year after hearing that US baseball legend Babe Ruth used them to keep cool on the field.

"In common sense, it is difficult to consider that wearing a cabbage leaf will affect pitches," a KBO spokesman said.

"But since it has become a controversy, we decided to set a limit on the boundaries of foreign substances."

Mr Park said he was glad he helped to clarify a rule, but that he was planning to stop using cabbage anyway.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Korea bans baseball cabbage pitch

RPatrino Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:16pm

Too bad we can't call this, "coles law"....LOLOL

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:37pm

That's good ...

Kevin Finnerty Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:39pm

My two impressions from the story:

One, what are the chances his name would be Park? I mean, that's just amazing.

Two, WEAR A TIGHTER CAP!

Forest Ump Wed Sep 23, 2009 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 626811)
Too bad we can't call this, "coles law"....LOLOL

Oh that's bad, Bob (shaking my head):D

RPatrino Thu Sep 24, 2009 01:24pm

I don't care who you are, that's funny!!

SanDiegoSteve Thu Sep 24, 2009 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 626569)

Yesterday I called around to about 10 pharmacies and none of the pharmacists had ever heard of it. I finally found one in Lakeside that had one 2 oz. bottle of it in stock. I had her hold it for me and I picked it up today. I don't think anyone at this pharmacy had ever heard of it either, they just happened to have a bottle in stock.

People also used to drink "ammonia cokes" made with Coca-Cola and 3 or 4 drops of spirits of ammonia. They used to make them regularly in drug store soda fountains back in the "good old days." Mothers would make them for their small children's upset tummies, and many people drank them for migraine headaches and also to help with bursitis.

People actually still make this concoction, even though the label says not to ingest the stuff. I guess a few drops didn't hurt anyone.

mick Thu Sep 24, 2009 08:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 627137)
People also used to drink "ammonia cokes" made with Coca-Cola and 3 or 4 drops of spirits of ammonia. They used to make them regularly in drug store soda fountains back in the "good old days." Mothers would make them for their small children's upset tummies, and many people drank them for migraine headaches and also to help with bursitis.

People actually still make this concoction, even though the label says not to ingest the stuff. I guess a few drops didn't hurt anyone.

Uh, ... aren't a lot of the people from the old days dead now?
[Bless 'em]

Kevin Finnerty Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:28pm

Quote:

Yesterday I called around to about 10 pharmacies and none of the pharmacists had ever heard of it. I finally found one in Lakeside that had one 2 oz. bottle of it in stock. I had her hold it for me and I picked it up today. I don't think anyone at this pharmacy had ever heard of it either, they just happened to have a bottle in stock.

If you're just making enough for yourself, you can get three or four batches out of that one little bottle.

A half ounce of spirits; a quart of water; a dozen cubes, and some towels in a little igloo cooler or jug. You'll be a happy umpire.

Where we are for our Sunday twin-bill, it'll be 99 degrees at 1:00. The crew will be learning about the wonders of ammonia towels.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:55pm

My games got changed to a different park about 80 miles farther away, so it'll be in the next weekend or two. But I'll get there!

DG Fri Sep 25, 2009 06:07pm

Quote:

Maybe I should have said most drug stores can get it for you. I find it very interesting that pharmacists have never heard of it. Makes me happy I get my pills on the East coast.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Sep 25, 2009 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 627330)
Maybe I should have said most drug stores can get it for you. I find it very interesting that pharmacists have never heard of it. Makes me happy I get my pills on the East coast.

There are a few things that haven't made it here quite yet. Hey the Lewis & Clark expedition wasn't really that long ago.

tballump Sat Sep 26, 2009 06:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 627339)
There are a few things that haven't made it here quite yet.

That's because you are in the ocean.