The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   IL Umpire last night (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54538-il-umpire-last-night.html)

outathm Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:33am

IL Umpire last night

I went to the Norfolk Tides v Charlotte knights last night. This guy :

HP: Takeshi Hirabayashi.

Was on the dish in the second game. Great job. If you get a chance to watch him work it will be a treat for you.

Thank goodness for cut and paste, that's the only way I was getting close to spelling the name right. LOL

SanDiegoSteve Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57am

Here is a great article about this guy. He's movin' on up like George and Weezy:

Japanese umpire proving to be major hit in minor leagues | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

outathm Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:22am

That was from our local paper but I hadn't had the chance to see him work. Our skipper was right, he rang up a number of guys on Monday and not a single one even looked back.

He is small in stature but huge in presence.

The IL crews are all very good, but this guy made a different impression. You noticed how good he was, but didn't notice he was out there, if that makes sense.

Fittske Thu Sep 03, 2009 02:30pm

Here is a photo of the guy....

Pretty cool lo0king chest protector

http://old-rookie.aspota.jp/CIMG2207.JPG

SethPDX Thu Sep 03, 2009 03:31pm

And here we go with the "OMG where do I get one?" questions. :p

Great story about him. I love watching MiLB guys work.

nopachunts Thu Sep 03, 2009 03:42pm

IL Umpire last night

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 623788)

Is everyone going to their name embroidered on on their's too?

tjones1 Thu Sep 03, 2009 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 623790)
Is everyone going to their name embroidered on on their's too?

Maybe... but, usually they wear their number on their CP.

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 03, 2009 04:37pm

Poi

Takeshi is the guy from Revenge of The Nerds who out-drank the Alphas in the tricycle race.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Sep 03, 2009 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 623788)

How in the world could gear junkies like us NOT want one of these sweet looking protectors. No doubt from Japan and totally unavailable to the unwashed masses.

bobbybanaduck Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 623690)

Thank goodness for cut and paste, that's the only way I was getting close to spelling the name right. LOL

just call him tak. easy enough. all around GREAT guy, too. and a funny mfer to boot.

outathm Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:04am

I am by no means a gear junky, I buy something and get rid of the old one. But that is the coolest chest protector I have seen in a long time! I have a friend who goes to Japan on a regular basis for business, I am sending him with a mission this next time.

mbyron Fri Sep 04, 2009 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 623844)
I am by no means a gear junky, I buy something and get rid of the old one. But that is the coolest chest protector I have seen in a long time! I have a friend who goes to Japan on a regular basis for business, I am sending him with a mission this next time.

It looks as if it's designed to fit the Japanese male frame, which is distinctly smaller than the average American. Caveat emptor.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Sep 04, 2009 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 623844)

Are you saying that we don't get rid of our old ones?!

Okay, so I'm still a junkie, but I've gotten rid of stuff.

Ump153 Sat Sep 05, 2009 01:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 623854)
It looks as if it's designed to fit the Japanese male frame, which is distinctly smaller than the average American. Caveat emptor.

This protector does come in different sizes, but I don't think "chunky American" is one.

GerryB Sat Sep 05, 2009 06:26am

What brand name is that "B"? Sorry, I'm giving in to the gear junkie in me!