The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Offseason (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54433-offseason.html)

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:39pm

Offseason

Many of us will be starting or have already started our offseason. What do you do to stay sharp when you're not umpiring as frequently or for months in a row?

briancurtin Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:49pm

I read every post on this forum because they are all filled with incredible tips, knowledge, and wisdom.

kylejt Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:23pm

Come to San Diego. There is no off season

umpjim Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:24pm

I finally renew my MLB online subscription and start watching for some 4 man hints. Oh. nevermind, they usually start with the battery view. Hey I got it, I'll learn about balks from MLB. Nevermind. I just watch it and try to learn something.

tjones1 Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:54pm

I try to read as much as possible.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:57pm

Just going to be starting my season the first weekend of September.

jdmara Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01pm

I officiate basketball and ready the forums regularly (for both basketball and baseball). How does this help me? It keeps me in the officiating frame of mind. And by the end of basketball season I'm looking forward to baseball

-Josh

scarolinablue Wed Aug 26, 2009 05:08pm

I play as much golf as I can get away with, and spend time with my wife and kids. Basically, decompress from baseball for awhile. Read the forum(s) occasionally. Watch the pros for mechanics that are sound.

It doesn't take that long to get back in the groove in the spring for me.

FTVMartin Wed Aug 26, 2009 05:44pm

Spend at least one night a week reading the rule book and then find a camp in February. You'll pick up great tips and most camps get you into a cage so you will see some pitches before the spring.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 26, 2009 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 622349)
Come to San Diego. There is no off season

About the only time there isn't some kind of high school, wood bat, men's league, scout ball, JUCO scrimmage, etc., is the few weeks before and after Christmas. This makes a year of umpiring seem like two years. I don't even do all I can, and I do over 100 games anyway, just because all the leagues have fall and winter ball, and I almost never lose a game to foul weather (two all year of any kind). Throughout the summer, I'll do two 18-inning doubleheaders every weekend. Throughout the high school season, I'll do a twin-bill every Sunday.

So I guess you can't really go stale here.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 26, 2009 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 622501)
About the only time there isn't some kind of high school, wood bat, men's league, scout ball, JUCO scrimmage, etc., is the few weeks before and after Christmas. This makes a year of umpiring seem like two years. I don't even do all I can, and I do over 100 games anyway, just because all the leagues have fall and winter ball, and I almost never lose a game to foul weather (two all year of any kind). Throughout the summer, I'll do two 18-inning doubleheaders every weekend. Throughout the high school season, I'll do a twin-bill every Sunday.

So I guess you can't really go stale here.

This is why I had over 3,400 games between 1986 and 2006.

DonInKansas Wed Aug 26, 2009 09:04pm

I don't get near the ball I used to. Getting married and having two small kids have pretty much done that. I used to be a 120 game a year guy, now I'm lucky to get into the 50s. It makes for more not so sharp days than I'm used to and that blows. Maybe when the kids get schoolage I'll be able to get back into a schedule I'm happy with.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 26, 2009 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 622513)
I don't get near the ball I used to. Getting married and having two small kids have pretty much done that. I used to be a 120 game a year guy, now I'm lucky to get into the 50s. It makes for more not so sharp days than I'm used to and that blows. Maybe when the kids get schoolage I'll be able to get back into a schedule I'm happy with.

Noooo ... then you'll be coaching Little League [or girls' softball--whatever].

Steven Tyler Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 622507)
This is why I had over 3,400 games between 1986 and 2006.

I could have that many, but my job got in the way.

Rich Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:52am

I have my first HS football game tonight, another tomorrow, and 4 games on Saturday.

I don't burn out or get stale mainly because I separate the seasons and I don't really cross-over. When football starts, baseball is done. A month after football we have basketball, and I have a month off before baseball starts up here.