The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Steve, just curious what part of my post do you not agree with? I made several statements, some that I suspect would generate some disagreement.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 06:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Steve, just curious what part of my post do you not agree with? I made several statements, some that I suspect would generate some disagreement.
These parts:

Quote:
Ace is 100% correct.
I don't think he is 100% correct. He said these are the best umpires at the WS he's ever seen. If this is true, I wonder if he's ever seen the tournament before, because these guys are certainly not the best, with few exceptions. Some were better than others, but only a couple would I classify as "very good." The guy working the plate in the GA/CA game last night was rather brutal, as were U1 and U3. Keystone Cops brutal.

Sure, they are at the "top" of "their" game, which is the scary part. What were they like at the bottom?

Quote:
There are times when what we do at the HS level would seem out of place in a Little League sanctioned game, just like what LL wants to see their umpires do would seem foreign to us at the HS level.
I don't know why using professional mechanics, judgment, timing and game management would be frowned upon in Little LeagueŽ, or any level of baseball. I've worked Pinto to Semi-Pro, and everything in between, including LLŽ baseball, and never altered my mechanics or timing to look like some of the Smitties I've witnessed the last couple of weeks in Williamsport.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, thanks for the response, and here are my thoughts.

1) The fact Ace felt these were the best he's seen at the LLWS is just his judgement. I don't know what he's seen in the past. He's entitled to his opinions, as are we. I have seen worse as well, even Mr. Konyar himself has screwed the pooch on occasion.

2) I too have worked Pinto on up, including LL Baseball and I have never altered what I do to mirror anyone. I have also never worked a LL Regional or WS.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Brutal plate umpire

The PU in the China-Mexico game had the worst strike zone I have ever seen in a game using instant replay. The third strike call on the left-handed batter when the pitched ball crossed the middle of the right-hand batter's box was typical. No first year umpire in our association would call that pitch a strike. And that was only typical of his HUGE strike zone!

This group of umpires is not up to the standards of the guys from previous years.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

It's amazing to me, knowing that you had instant replay on every pitch, why he would have that wide of a zone. I saw just part of that game, and I was shocked at that pitch being called a strike, which he did very consitantly. In other games, I also saw some very obvious '2 plane' misses, in this case, high and wide. There was some obvious chirping coming from the mic'd coaches on those as well.

I haven't watched enough of the games to get a sense for the field work. Why don't the 1b umpires use the 'casual' out signal vs, the full blown hammer? I guess there is no 'casual' when you are on stage. Another pet peeve of mine is the "foul ball" call on screamers back to the fence...come on guys.

-----------------------
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

According to some of the announcers I have heard, they say the umpires have been instructed to call a very large strike zone for strikes 1 & 2, but to tighten it up for strike 3 and make the pitcher earn it. If this is the case, I dont agree with it because neither the pitcher or the batter ever know where you are going to call something a strike.

One clip I saw was the Curacau catcher framing a pitch. He was set up in the middle of the left handed batters box, caught the ball just off his right shoulder, moved his glove 2' to the middle of the plate and the umpire called it a strike.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 01:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxUmp View Post
The PU in the China-Mexico game had the worst strike zone I have ever seen in a game using instant replay. The third strike call on the left-handed batter when the pitched ball crossed the middle of the right-hand batter's box was typical. No first year umpire in our association would call that pitch a strike. And that was only typical of his HUGE strike zone!

This group of umpires is not up to the standards of the guys from previous years.
I think you mean the Japan-Mexico game. The PU in the game right now in the Championship game is doing pretty good. You must be talking about the game the other day.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

My 88 year mother is visiting. She asked what was written on the top patch on the players left sleeve. I told her it said "I wont't cheat." She just looked at me and asked, "Shouldn't that go without saying?" My wife replied, "not anymore."
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
My 88 year mother is visiting. She asked what was written on the top patch on the players left sleeve. I told her it said "I wont't cheat." She just looked at me and asked, "Shouldn't that go without saying?" My wife replied, "not anymore."
If they think cheating is something new ask them about the black sox scandal.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
If they think cheating is something new ask them about the black sox scandal.
Say it ain't so, Shoeless Rich!