The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   A Sh*thouse Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54345-sh-thouse-situation.html)

njdevs00cup Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:04pm

A Sh*thouse Situation

I'm the PU for a men's league final. R2, batter hits a bloop which F8 dives for and apparently catches (no initial signal). The throw comes back into F4 to attempt to double up R2. BU signals out when F4 catches the ball on the bag apparently doubling up R2. F4 flips the ball to the BU which he catches and the defense leaves the field. R2 questions the call at 2B and the BU tells him you weren't out, I was signaling catch. R2 races home.

Both managers are trying to figure out what just went on, as am I. I conference w/ partner and he tells me he had a catch and R2 was safe at second base (no safe call was ever made). I put R2 back on 2B and explained to the OC that since a live ball was thrown and held by the umpire the play was dead. Any feedback?

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:08pm

"R2 questions the call at 2B and the PU tells him you weren't o"

do you want to modify this?

Kevin Finnerty Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:42pm

[substitute BU for PU]

jicecone Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:52pm

OK, assuming you meant BU for PU, your partner doesn't sound like he is quite ready for mens league, let alone the final game. Having said that you did everything you could have to rectify the situation.

I hope you gave him an earful during your post game.

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 16, 2009 09:18pm

Sounds like you handled it the best you could. You made it right despite the errors by your partner. Hopefully he was receptive to feedback in the post game.

njdevs00cup Sun Aug 16, 2009 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 620771)
"R2 questions the call at 2B and the PU tells him you weren't o"

do you want to modify this?

BU, my bad

Steven Tyler Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 620769)
I'm the PU for a men's league final. R2, batter hits a bloop which F8 dives for and apparently catches (no initial signal). The throw comes back into F4 to attempt to double up R2. BU signals out when F4 catches the ball on the bag apparently doubling up R2. F4 flips the ball to the BU which he catches and the defense leaves the field. R2 questions the call at 2B and the BU tells him you weren't out, I was signaling catch. R2 races home.

Both managers are trying to figure out what just went on, as am I. I conference w/ partner and he tells me he had a catch and R2 was safe at second base (no safe call was ever made). I put R2 back on 2B and explained to the OC that since a live ball was thrown and held by the umpire the play was dead. Any feedback?

Why are you signaling the out? Shouldn't the BU have the call on sinking liner to F8? Sounds like the two of you were both confused.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:07pm

You might have wanted to ask your partner why he didn't signal and sound off loud and clear like he had a pair when the catch was made, so everyone involved is clear as to what just occurred.

I do think you cleaned up the mess as well as you could.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 620809)
Why are you signaling the out? Shouldn't the BU have the call on sinking liner to F8? Sounds like the two of you were both confused.

He was the PU. The BU signaled the out.

Matt Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 620827)
Read the original post again where he said he was signaling the catch.

Read the whole thread.

DG Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 620810)
You might have wanted to ask your partner why he didn't signal and sound off loud and clear like he had a pair when the catch was made, so everyone involved is clear as to what just occurred.

I do think you cleaned up the mess as well as you could.

Also ask him why he caught a live ball tossed to him, and held it... A live ball should be a hot potato.

RPatrino Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05pm

First, comment (sort of in jest), don't do men's league games. Secondly, the other comments were spot on. Don't catch live balls during play, which sets you up for all kinds of bad mojo later on.

njdevs00cup Mon Aug 17, 2009 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 620830)
Also ask him why he caught a live ball tossed to him, and held it... A live ball should be a hot potato.

From my vantage point, it looked like the BU catching the ball initiated the defense leaving the field. At that point, only a single out had been signaled for the catch (2nd out of the inning). I agree, I move away from a live ball in my direction like it is a hot coal.