The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Looking for link (Smitty) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54340-looking-link-smitty.html)

Jay R Sun Aug 16, 2009 02:07pm

Looking for link (Smitty)

Guys,

Someone posted a youtube video a while back that was supposed to be a training video for little leagueumpires. It was quite funny; the NY accent, the pads over the pants, the exagerated signals etc.... You must remember it. I can't find it. Does someone have a link?

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 16, 2009 02:09pm

search the old threads...it's probably still in there. the guy was pretty passionate about umpiring some of the youth baseball...i'm not going to bust him up too bad.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 16, 2009 03:12pm

Start with this one and the rest will be listed with it. Try not to do anything this guy recommends! :)

YouTube - How to Be a Baseball Umpire : Going Over Ground Rules as a Baseball Umpire

Kevin Finnerty Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 620742)
Start with this one and the rest will be listed with it. Try not to do anything this guy recommends! :)

YouTube - How to Be a Baseball Umpire : Going Over Ground Rules as a Baseball Umpire

If it were a little more outlandish, it could pass for a genuine parody. But it's not a put-on!!

jwwashburn Sun Aug 16, 2009 07:52pm

I played those for my ten year old son....

He asked: why didn't he at least plan out what he was going to say?

HAHAHAHHAAHAH

Klokard Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55am

I like the guy. He is what Little League is all about. Volunteerism and passion.

jwwashburn Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard (Post 620898)
I like the guy. He is what Little League is all about. Volunteerism and passion.

You can volunteer, have passion and also try to do things properly...I wouldn't pick on him if he did not post videos on EXPERT VILLAGE.

He is winging it and assumes he is doing it right...Would he try that with crown molding or baking a cake? Probably not.

Well, winging it as an umpire gives you pretty much the same result as it would with crown molding or a cake.

You might volunteer to bake me a cake and do it with great passion but if you do not have a recipe and instructions, I do not think I am liking that cake.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 620901)
You can volunteer, have passion and also try to do things properly...I wouldn't pick on him if he did not post videos on EXPERT VILLAGE.

He is winging it and assumes he is doing it right...Would he try that with crown molding or baking a cake? Probably not.

Well, winging it as an umpire gives you pretty much the same result as it would with crown molding or a cake.

You might volunteer to bake me a cake and do it with great passion but if you do not have a recipe and instructions, I do not think I am liking that cake.

Would you please stop talking about cake?:cool:

MrUmpire Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard (Post 620898)

Unfortunately, that's true in some areas.

In other areas training and competence are conisderations as well. This guy has neither. You are welcoime to him and his ilk.

jwwashburn Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 620903)
Would you please stop talking about cake?:cool:

It was not a good cake...that was the analogy. I feel like Bob Newhart.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 620908)
It was not a good cake...that was the analogy. I feel like Bob Newhart.

Good cake, bad cake, who cares? You're making me hungry and I'm on a diet!:)

mbyron Mon Aug 17, 2009 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 620910)
Good cake, bad cake, who cares?

Jim Gaffigan Cake Comedy

Forest Ump Mon Aug 17, 2009 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 620949)

"Fruit (good) + Cake (great) = Fruit Cake (Nasty Crap)" LMAO, Thanks

jwwashburn Mon Aug 17, 2009 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 620971)
"Fruit (good) + Cake (great) = Fruit Cake (Nasty Crap)" LMAO, Thanks

That is politically incorrect....fruitcake! Please...the word is queer.

RPatrino Mon Aug 17, 2009 05:03pm

Cake bad for Steve, stay away!!

While I have to say the instructional value of these videos might be lacking, you have commend the effort. Training for youth league umpires is severely lacking in most areas and I applaud any attempt to provide direction and guidance.

But turn your hat around for cryin out loud!!