The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Surprised I haven't seen this ejection clip

How pray tell can you dump the center fielder for arguing balls and strikes?Thousands of people their how can you hear the guy? What exactly was the center fielder doing that caused him to get dumped?
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

He threw his hands up in the air well above his head. May not be able to hear him, but he could sure see him. I was surprised he did it but it was earned and deserved by the rat in CF. Many speculate that there was more that went on prior to this between the 2.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Even his manager understood and had a hard time supporting him:

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@ATL: Nationals' hitting coach Eckstein is tossed - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Skin as thin as rice paper if the center fielder can get to you. Sheesh!
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Skin as thin as rice paper if the center fielder can get to you. Sheesh!
Quick question. What if F1 did it?
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
He threw his hands up in the air well above his head. May not be able to hear him, but he could sure see him. I was surprised he did it but it was earned and deserved by the rat in CF. Many speculate that there was more that went on prior to this between the 2.
1. I've done countless games on big fields and I can't remember the last time I paid any attention to the outfielders. No need to.

2. Raising his arms how do we know for sure it was directed at the PU. I agree it probably was but still maybe it wasn't.

3. IMHO it was the dumbest ejection I've seen in MLB.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quick question. What if F1 did it?
Here comes the FU Ball. If and I mean if you're working a level where the players get it. If it's high school and below I might send the catcher out or I might dump him. Depends on the circumstances.

Last edited by gordon30307; Wed Aug 12, 2009 at 05:40pm.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post

2. Raising his arms how do we know for sure it was directed at the PU. I agree it probably was but still maybe it wasn't.

There was history between the centerfielder and umpire during that game. Even the little old lady sitting in the top deck knew what was going on. Even the player's manager knew what was going on.

The centerfielder decided to draw everyone's attention to him with his demonstration and got dumped for it. No different than F1 acting up or Batter demonstrating. Players don't get a free pass on Rat behavior just because they are in the outfield.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
There was history between the centerfielder and umpire during that game. Even the little old lady sitting in the top deck knew what was going on. Even the player's manager knew what was going on.

The centerfielder decided to draw everyone's attention to him with his demonstration and got dumped for it. No different than F1 acting up or Batter demonstrating. Players don't get a free pass on Rat behavior just because they are in the outfield.
Obviously something was going on. I'm not being a jerk here but do you know what was going on. I've never seen this before and I'm just trying to understand what happened.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. I've done countless games on big fields and I can't remember the last time I paid any attention to the outfielders. No need to.

I don't look for outfielders or any infielders myself. But, if I happen to be looking in that direction for some reason, then I am going to notice it. And, CF is pretty close to where I am looking all the time. And, I'm sure the rat knew that as well.

Maybe it was the dumbest EJ. Maybe he shouldn't have done it. Maybe, just maybe, the rat should have kept his hands down and none of this would have happened. It's easy to blame the umpire. But, why not blame the one who caused the whole issue in the first place? Maybe, wait for it... wait for it... the rat who threw his hands up in CF.

Why do so many look at the umpires as being at fault and not the rat who started it all? I just can't believe how many free passes are given to the rats. What is it? So many say the umpire has thin skin, and I agree so much has to be overlooked as an umpire. But, when one does something like this, then why is that rat looked at as an innocent bystander?

CF rat: "I was just minding my own business in CF and the next thing I know, I am going to the parking lot."

Maybe, if they wouldn't act like rats, they wouldn't get treated like one. I guess now, it is OK for them to demonstrate in the outfield since it is not in the dugout or on the mound.

Where does the line get drawn with some? And, I merely pointed out F1 b/c I would like to know where some actually draw the line and stop some of this "arguing balls and strikes".
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 06:32pm

Quote:
So have I, and I've never noticed the outfielders show violent displeasure with any of my calls, or they would be tossed if they kept it up, which apparently Victorrino did.

Quote:
Maybe I'm the Pope, but I'll bet you that I'm not. It was directed at the PU, and it wasn't the first time either.

Quote:
I've seen dumber. Ed Rapuano is a long time veteran and a fantastic umpire. A friend of mine went to Harry's with him in 1985 and said he was terrific way back then. He had a good reason to eject the Victorato or he wouldn't have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post

Thank you, Mr. Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I don't look for outfielders or any infielders myself. But, if I happen to be looking in that direction for some reason, then I am going to notice it. And, CF is pretty close to where I am looking all the time. And, I'm sure the rat knew that as well.

Maybe it was the dumbest EJ. Maybe he shouldn't have done it. Maybe, just maybe, the rat should have kept his hands down and none of this would have happened. It's easy to blame the umpire. But, why not blame the one who caused the whole issue in the first place? Maybe, wait for it... wait for it... the rat who threw his hands up in CF.

Why do so many look at the umpires as being at fault and not the rat who started it all? I just can't believe how many free passes are given to the rats. What is it? So many say the umpire has thin skin, and I agree so much has to be overlooked as an umpire. But, when one does something like this, then why is that rat looked at as an innocent bystander?

CF rat: "I was just minding my own business in CF and the next thing I know, I am going to the parking lot."

Maybe, if they wouldn't act like rats, they wouldn't get treated like one. I guess now, it is OK for them to demonstrate in the outfield since it is not in the dugout or on the mound.

Where does the line get drawn with some? And, I merely pointed out F1 b/c I would like to know where some actually draw the line and stop some of this "arguing balls and strikes".
Thank you Voice of Reason II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I don't find the statement offensive, the only thing I have against it is that is is very dumb. He is acting as if the umpire did something wrong by ejecting the fielder. I guess he just doesn't get it.
Thank you Voice of Reason III. Damn, I can't believe I agree with Luke!

Quote:
At MLB level have you ever seen an outfielder in center field ejected?
Yes, we just saw it, but having seen it before is irrelevant to the discussion. The fact that it may be without precedent has no bearing on the legitimacy of the ejection.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Finally an ejection "worth discussing." I still think it was a dumb one but valid opposing points were raised. No more routine ejection clips.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Finally an ejection "worth discussing." I still think it was a dumb one but valid opposing points were raised. No more routine ejection clips.
Let's say you call a strike at the bottom of the zone and the batter gives you crap about it. After his at bat, he gives you more crap about it. And you tell him that's enough.

Then, he comes out to pitch and you call a ball on what he thinks is the same pitch, he begins jumping up and down, yelling at you, and waving his arms in disgust.

Dump him?

Okay, now place him in CF instead of on the mound. Does distance excuse his behavior?
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Let's say you call a strike at the bottom of the zone and the batter gives you crap about it. After his at bat, he gives you more crap about it. And you tell him that's enough.

Then, he comes out to pitch and you call a ball on what he thinks is the same pitch, he begins jumping up and down, yelling at you, and waving his arms in disgust.

Dump him?

Okay, now place him in CF instead of on the mound. Does distance excuse his behavior?
It will never happen. He would be dumped before he made it to the bench.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Gestures say quite a bit. And Eddie Rap is my boy, so I have his back.

Harrumph,

Ace