The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Crawford Ejects Diamondback Manager (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54250-crawford-ejects-diamondback-manager.html)

Ump153 Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40pm

Crawford Ejects Diamondback Manager

And then goes old school on him.

Multimedia Search | MLB.com: Multimedia

Hinch, recently told he will move from interim manager to manager, seems intent on trying to prove something. Jerry tried to be civil byt Hinch wouldn't have it. After the EJ, from what I could make out on TV, Hinch pointed at and started to b!tch about the call-up working the plate. Jerry then let him know he wasn't having any of that. Hinch finally tucked tail.

Good to see a crew chief handle a punk rat appropriately.

Edited to add: My mistake. According to the box score, it wasn't a call-up behind the plate.

UmpTTS43 Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:00pm

That actually gave me a warm fuzzy.

I wish I could do that just once.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:22am

What I would pay for some audio....they kept moving arund so lip reading was tough, especially with that gum in Crawford's mouth.

LOVE his hook! Non-challant.

zm1283 Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:42am

That was AWESOME. That's the best ejection video I've seen since Tichenor got rid of four rats in Minnesota.

With that said, they just showed it on ESPN and I was able to slow it down. Crawford kicked the call bigtime. The runner was easily safe.

TussAgee11 Sat Aug 08, 2009 01:36am

Yeah but how often do you see an umpire yelling back result in the manager getting the hell out of there?

Good stuff.

tballump Sat Aug 08, 2009 02:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 619440)
And then goes old school on him.

Multimedia Search | MLB.com: Multimedia

Hinch, recently told he will move from interim manager to manager, seems intent on trying to prove something. Jerry tried to be civil byt Hinch wouldn't have it. After the EJ, from what I could make out on TV, Hinch pointed at and started to b!tch about the call-up working the plate. Jerry then let him know he wasn't having any of that. Hinch finally tucked tail.

Good to see a crew chief handle a punk rat appropriately.

Edited to add: My mistake. According to the box score, it wasn't a call-up behind the plate.

That was Brian O'Nora on the dish, a 12 year veteran, although he has been working "up" in the show since 1992. Yes, it was nice to see Jerry ream the manager a new a-hole

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619445)
What I would pay for some audio....they kept moving arund so lip reading was tough, especially with that gum in Crawford's mouth. Yes, it was nice to see an ump ream the manager a new a$$hole.

LOVE his hook! Non-challant.

Well, it was easy to lip read " get the frock out of here" and "bullsh!t" towards the end.

johnnyg08 Sat Aug 08, 2009 07:39am

He had some bangers over there last night. I haven't slowed them down of course we all know that (they don't get that benefit) at the time of the play...but yeah I haven't seen an old school butt reaming by an umpire to coach in a long time.

I guess when you're the crew chief, maybe you have a bit more latitude..."do as I say, not as I do"

Ump153 Sat Aug 08, 2009 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 619462)

I guess when you're the crew chief, maybe you have a bit more latitude..."do as I say, not as I do"

Jerry will still get fined, but I'll bet he doesn't give a f@#%.

tballump Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:16am

Guess that BS psychology degree from Stanford didn't work on Jerry. Jerry wanted to say something at the beginning but Hinch was verbally aggressive and arrogant and wouldn't let Jerry talk to him, so Jerry listened until Hinch said the wrong thing. Wonder if he mentioned the no no word instant replay.

Anyway, bet we hear about umpires being arrogant and aggressive and you can't even talk to them, which was just how Hinch treated Jerry at the beginning when he wouldn't let him speak.

realistic Sat Aug 08, 2009 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 619474)
Jerry will still get fined, but I'll bet he doesn't give a f@#%.

No he will not get fined

tballump Sat Aug 08, 2009 02:28pm

If an ump were to get fined, the fine comes out of the umps pocket. When a manager gets fined the team picks up the tab.

youngump Sat Aug 08, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 619443)
That actually gave me a warm fuzzy.

I wish I could do that just once.

Try missing a call that badly and you might have a chance... that was not a close play. Not that Hinch didn't deserve what he got.
________
Zoloft attorneys

Ump153 Sat Aug 08, 2009 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by realistic (Post 619511)
No he will not get fined

Assuming you're a triple A umpire, that makes three out of four I've heard from that believes he'll be fined.

realistic Sat Aug 08, 2009 06:25pm

I'm a AAA ump. Not.

mrm21711 Sat Aug 08, 2009 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 619517)
Try missing a call that badly and you might have a chance... that was not a close play. Not that Hinch didn't deserve what he got.

Crawford certainly didnt take the call from a set position - perhaps thats why he didnt get as good of a look at it.