The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Mouth guards (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54205-mouth-guards.html)

Jay R Sun Aug 02, 2009 07:07am

Mouth guards

I noticed a catcher who was wearing a mouth guard under his mask the other day and I had never seen that before. Then yesterday, the plate umpire in the Yankees-Sox game had one as well. Is this common? Do guys lose teeth even with a mask?

Tim C Sun Aug 02, 2009 08:16am

Jay:

The mouth guards have little to do with losing teeth.

The mouth guards have EVERYTHING to do with concussions.

Both players and umpires that have had concussions are often strongly advise to use a mouth guard to lower the chances of further concussive injury.

You can Goggle "CDC Concussions" and read the report yourself.

TussAgee11 Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00am

Absorbs some of the impact on that hit that comes directly at your chin. Those are real star gazers for catchers and umpires, maybe even more so than the one that hits the forhead (at least those are slightly glancing and deflect upwards).

zebra2955 Sun Aug 02, 2009 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 618499)

Both players and umpires that have had concussions are often strongly advise to use a mouth guard to lower the chances of further concussive injury.

That is exactly why they are required in football

tiger49 Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 618499)

MTBIFacts.com: The Mouthguard Myth

Concussions and the mouth guard myth

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:18pm

Still takes some of the shock away, despite reports denying their concussion-preventative benefits. I've heard of several umpires using them, and may give them a try if I'm able to make my calls without sounding like I have marbles in my mouth.

tiger49 Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:24pm

Steve,

Much agreed, however I think it may make things more difficult when dealing with a coach during one of those "friendly discussions" we often have with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 618546)
Still takes some of the shock away, despite reports denying their concussion-preventative benefits. I've heard of several umpires using them, and may give them a try if I'm able to make my calls without sounding like I have marbles in my mouth.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger49 (Post 618547)
Steve,

Much agreed, however I think it may make things more difficult when dealing with a coach during one of those "friendly discussions" we often have with them.

I read where one umpire says that whenever he knows he has to address the coach, he takes off his mask and takes out the guard, then puts it back in when he goes back to work. I would probably use that technique too!

SethPDX Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger49 (Post 618547)
Steve,

Take it out and stick it in the bars of your mask, like a football QB. :p

And Steve: Hope you enjoy your new hitting coach. The Padres have been calling up lots of players from Portland, so why not the manager? :D

radwaste50 Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:57pm

Mouth Guards

Shock Doctor makes a guard that rides on the bottom teeth. and it not hard to talk or blow whistle (I am also football umpire). Had a couple of concussions in the past dont need any more

Gravity 2 STC Mouthguard